Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Around the League: Offseason

Post by ShelC »

Not officially the offseason but some news going on for teams outside of Orlando

Bulls and Pelicans fired their coaches Boylen and Gentry. I'd take Gentry back in a second as a lead assistant or associate head coach to Monty. Never liked how he was treated on his way out of Phoenix.

Superbone

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Superbone »

That stinks for Gentry! I'm sure he'll get another job quickly if he wants. He's well liked and very good.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:17 am
Not officially the offseason but some news going on for teams outside of Orlando

Bulls and Pelicans fired their coaches Boylen and Gentry. I'd take Gentry back in a second as a lead assistant or associate head coach to Monty. Never liked how he was treated on his way out of Phoenix.

I guess Griffin thought he would get more out of all the big names on the roster. I don't know what more Gentry could have done, though.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

That team didn’t show up for the bubble, could be part of it

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think the big thing is that the team is horrendous defensively.

I like Kenny Atkinson for them.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:49 am
That stinks for Gentry! I'm sure he'll get another job quickly if he wants. He's well liked and very good.
He was less than great while coaching the Pelicans. Some of that was organizational but a lot of it was on him.

You guys actually keep up with Pelicans games or are you remembering him as the coach that took the 2010 Suns to the WCF?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I loved Gentry. Don't know if he has changed in the intervening years, but his years here were some of my favorites.

Singh

Post by Singh »

We could use another assistant

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Can't see why Gentry would fancy an assistant job here. Would be cool to see him here but I doubt it.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

They just reduced the coaching staff by 2. I'm not sure why they would turn around and add to the staff, especially with someone like Gentry, who probably wouldn't come cheap.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:17 am
They just reduced the coaching staff by 2. I'm not sure why they would turn around and add to the staff, especially with someone like Gentry, who probably wouldn't come cheap.
I did read somewhere that there was a limit on the number of personnel you could bring with you into the bubble. If they were on 1 year deals, and they couldn't go to Orlando without cutting some of the other personnel that weren't on 1 year deals, that could be a reason to part ways. Might not mean they won't be looking to hire staff for next year.

But I agree Gentry is not a likely assistant coach here.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/297 ... ree-agency

Woj article on draft/FA dates, cap impact, etc
Because of the uncertainty about next season's projected league revenues, a delay to the Oct. 18 start of free agency would give the NBA and NBPA a chance to better formulate the parameters of the 2020-21 salary-cap and luxury-tax thresholds.

NBPA executive director Michele Roberts has been publicly and privately skeptical that the league will start next season on its tentative opening night of Dec. 1. Sources said the union has privately suggested to players that the season could start sometime later that month -- or even in January or February.

Front-office executives are privately concerned about the lack of salary-cap and luxury-tax projections in place before the Oct. 16 draft. Those projections would allow them to make crucial decisions -- including on possible trades -- with a clearer understanding of the financial ramifications.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, i don't get how you can make trades if you don't even know the cap for the next year, or how much your draft pick is going to make.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not so surprising

Indy

Post by Indy »

No, but honestly is there any coach available that would get more out of their team than Nate has? I think the consistently out perform their talent level.

And why would Mike want to be coaching in Indianapolis in his 70s? Ugh...

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:30 am
Not so surprising

Considering they gave him an extension a month ago, I thought this was pretty surprising. I've also been impressed with how that team performs night-in, night-out.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If the Pacers sign Mike D, maybe we can get Sabonis from them.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:19 am
Or maybe TJ Warren.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:19 am
Sabonis is good, but I have no idea how he fits here. You can’t play him with Ayton.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The McMillan thing is weird given the extension, so there's probably going to be more coming out about the firing. I'm not a huge fan of McMillan as a coach but you can't argue about the job he's done there and I think it sucks holding some of these coaches accountable for this year given the circumstances and injuries, etc. If a FO wants to move in another direction with a coach who's currently available, I can understand that too. But McMillan was literally extended 2 weeks ago.