NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:57 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:44 pm
In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:15 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:45 pm
I think we can assume Ball, Edwards, Wiseman, and Toppin will be gone at 10. So at least 1 of Avdija, Okongwu, Haliburton, Okoro, Hayes, and Vassell will be there. Personally I hope it’s not Avdija, Okongwu, or Okoro, but someone will be there at 10. And I’d actually be ok going Aaron Nesmith, RJ Hampton, or Patrick Williams as well.
How would you compare Aaron Nesmith with someone like Desmond Bane?
I like both. I’m not sure why Bane is mocked in round 2. He’s got size, he’s consistently hit 3’s at a high percentage and I think he’ll be fine defensively. Nesmith is younger and his shot looks more like a weapon than Bane.
This is where I think Bane is a better shooter than Nesmith.
If we get the Bane from Batman, I'll be happy. I just hope he's not the Bane of our existence.
Bane is 5’9”. What do you see as his NBA position?

(Batman Bane, not Desmond Bane.)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:11 pm
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I like both. I’m not sure why Bane is mocked in round 2. He’s got size, he’s consistently hit 3’s at a high percentage and I think he’ll be fine defensively. Nesmith is younger and his shot looks more like a weapon than Bane.
If we get the Bane from Batman, I'll be happy. I just hope he's not the Bane of our existence.

Think power forward in the Barkley mold.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:59 pm
I'm not quite as certain as all of you about Haliburton. Idk if he's a primary creator. In fact, he's more of a secondary creator and connector type.
He’s not a primary creator, his shooting form doesn’t lend itself to being an on ball pull up threat. A little like Lonzo in that respect. Outside of Lamelo, he’s got the best court vision/passing in the draft. He’s skinny, but if he can fill out a bit, he’s 6’6 with a 6’9 wingspan. Provides some versatility defensively. We’ve got Booker here as our primary creator, we don’t need Tyrese to be that. He seems pretty perfect for the Monty .5 offense and as a lower usage 3D style pg next to Booker.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:22 pm
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:

I think he would break some backs.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:45 pm
I think we can assume Ball, Edwards, Wiseman, and Toppin will be gone at 10. So at least 1 of Avdija, Okongwu, Haliburton, Okoro, Hayes, and Vassell will be there. Personally I hope it’s not Avdija, Okongwu, or Okoro, but someone will be there at 10. And I’d actually be ok going Aaron Nesmith, RJ Hampton, or Patrick Williams as well.
Hmm, would you take Bane over Nesmith?

Bane has more consistency over the years as a high percentage 3pt shooter, Nesmith had the higher peak percentage this year and his shooting form looks cleaner to me(though I’m no shot expert) I think they’re both great shooting prospects. I just feel more confident Nesmith will be a bigger shooting wespon(off screens, side step, dribble pull ups) Bane isn’t just a catch and shoot guy either though. Also, I have a little more confidence in Nesmith being a good nba defender. Neither are great athletes, but I think Nesmith has Bane here by a little. Bane has shown more of a dribble drive/playmaking game, but not sure that’s a role he gets in the nba.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:05 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:22 pm
Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I think he would break some backs.
Hard pass. I heard the rumors about his “venom” supplements he takes. He is a “25 game suspension” waiting to happen.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

What are you talking about. I bet all Bane did was eat clen, tren hard anavar giving up.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:20 pm
In2ition wrote:
I'm not quite as certain as all of you about Haliburton. Idk if he's a primary creator. In fact, he's more of a secondary creator and connector type.
He’s not a primary creator, his shooting form doesn’t lend itself to being an on ball pull up threat. A little like Lonzo in that respect. Outside of Lamelo, he’s got the best court vision/passing in the draft. He’s skinny, but if he can fill out a bit, he’s 6’6 with a 6’9 wingspan. Provides some versatility defensively. We’ve got Booker here as our primary creator, we don’t need Tyrese to be that. He seems pretty perfect for the Monty .5 offense and as a lower usage 3D style pg next to Booker.
In this aspect, where you essentially make Booker the PG, you lose one of the strengths of Booker in his off the ball skills. This is why I am not super excited about his fit. I think he fits the culture and what Monty and James are building, but not totally convinced of his fit. I would like to take a little more pressure off of Booker to do everything. BTW, I think Poku might be a better passer, but I do think Hali's passing is excellent. He's very much like a Lonzo lite.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:29 am
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
In this aspect, where you essentially make Booker the PG, you lose one of the strengths of Booker in his off the ball skills. This is why I am not super excited about his fit. I think he fits the culture and what Monty and James are building, but not totally convinced of his fit. I would like to take a little more pressure off of Booker to do everything. BTW, I think Poku might be a better passer, but I do think Hali's passing is excellent. He's very much like a Lonzo lite.
I think Haliburton will be able to take some ball handling responsibility. I don’t actually think he’s that different from Rubio in that respect. Rubio is also not a pull up threat. Tyrese is long, built like SGA, if he can channel some of his crafty at rim finishing, combine that with his playmaking and spot up shooting and defensive versatility and you have a solid 3D pg.

Now it’s possible he doesn’t become more than a secondary ball handler. In that case, you still need to find a pg of the future if you want to keep Booker off ball a good portion of the time. He’s still a valuable guard/wing in that case.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:03 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:29 am
Split T wrote:
In2ition wrote:
I think Haliburton will be able to take some ball handling responsibility. I don’t actually think he’s that different from Rubio in that respect. Rubio is also not a pull up threat. Tyrese is long, built like SGA, if he can channel some of his crafty at rim finishing, combine that with his playmaking and spot up shooting and defensive versatility and you have a solid 3D pg.

Now it’s possible he doesn’t become more than a secondary ball handler. In that case, you still need to find a pg of the future if you want to keep Booker off ball a good portion of the time. He’s still a valuable guard/wing in that case.
I don't disagree that he's a valuable guard/wing, but his ball handling and the pressure on the rim is not of a primary initiator. He's like a PG version of Klay Thompson. Not a lot of dribbling or finishing at the basket. If he was also really good on ultra quick PGs on defense, again that is super valuable for the Suns. I just think you need someone that can be a primary ball handler and distributor to set Booker up, not making Booker do all the setting up himself.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Do you think Rubio is that?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:05 pm
Well, Rubio has the handle to get to the basket and initiate the offense. He's not great finishing at the rim, but he can do it. I suppose he's not a huge difference than the way Rubio plays, but he does need to improve his handles.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:01 pm
Split T wrote:
Well, Rubio has the handle to get to the basket and initiate the offense. He's not great finishing at the rim, but he can do it. I suppose he's not a huge difference than the way Rubio plays, but he does need to improve his handles.
"Not great" is a funny way of saying awful. There are 259 guys this year that took enough shots <3 feet to qualify for states. Ricky is 249th.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:31 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
"Not great" is a funny way of saying awful. There are 259 guys this year that took enough shots <3 feet to qualify for states. Ricky is 249th.
I'm being kind, and Ricky has learned how to handle this.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
He’s not perfect, but he’s also not in the Nba yet. He has time to grow. I’m just not sure a traditional ball dominant lead guard is the way to go with Booker. If that player is better than Booker, then sure, but that’s not likely. I’d like someone who allows Booker to play off ball some, but can also play off Booker.

Is there a pg in this class you like?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
You're absolutely right. But for this team, I think that is fine.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Cumulative odds (odds that we'll get a pick at the given spot or better):

#1: 3.0%
#2: 6.3%
#3: 9.9%
#4: 13.9%
#10: 79.8%
#11: 98.8%
#12: 100%

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:52 pm
In2ition wrote:
Split T wrote:
He’s not perfect, but he’s also not in the Nba yet. He has time to grow. I’m just not sure a traditional ball dominant lead guard is the way to go with Booker. If that player is better than Booker, then sure, but that’s not likely. I’d like someone who allows Booker to play off ball some, but can also play off Booker.

Is there a pg in this class you like?
I totally agree that you don't want a guard that pounds the air out of the ball like Kyrie, but someone that can bring the ball up, initiate the offense and keep the defense honest with drives to the basket along with creating for themselves and others is ideal. The nice thing is that Monty's offense doesn't really allow the ball handler to dribble it for 10+ seconds every possession while everyone else stands around waiting for them to do something.

LaMelo is my favorite in this class. I think his creativity and vision is elite and his handles are top notch right away. His shot selection is super questionable and his shot itself needs help. Him being 6'7"-6'8" along with ability to score in the half court, rebound and theoretically eventually defend.

I like Hayes next, as I think he reminds me of Devin and his development path might be very similar, although in a PG body. He also has a dad who was a former pro ball player that works with him all the time. You can see that he improves his weaknesses, so he's actively conscious of them and has improved on those season to season. He also comes off a little more disciplined and cerebral in his play style, while having a nice advanced passing skills.

Very close and mix and match these next few
Haliburton - For reasons I state prior.

Grant Riller then very closely Cole Anthony - Theoretically, their athleticism, strength and ability to score at all levels, putting pressure on the rim with their own shot creation, while being able to also stretch the floor off ball could play well with Booker to not have to be the only shot creator on the floor. Also theoretically, they may be able to eventually guard the ultra quick small guards, matching them with their own athleticism.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d probably take Lamelo at 1 if we land there. Though I’d entertain trading down or out 1st. I do like Hayes as well, a little worried about him off the ball at the moment, but he’d have time and he does seem like a hard worker.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Vassell is interesting given his shotmaking, especially with things maybe up in the air with Oubre.