NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I would never pay Gobert max money if I were a GM. His impact diminishes as the games get more important every season.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:21 pm
Super max, especially for non big market teams should almost never be used. Giannis is the lone exception, Milwaukee should definitely do that.
Exactly, and is why I hope they give it to Gobert.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:26 pm
I would never pay Gobert max money if I were a GM. His impact diminishes as the games get more important every season.
They shouldn't, but he was super impactful last night. He was dominate when he was on the floor, and the reason they lost was the 8 minute stretch when he was on the bench.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

As amazing as Murray and Mitchell were in game 6, they showed they were human in game 7. Shows how hard it is to play at that level consistently.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Super max, especially for non big market teams should almost never be used. Giannis is the lone exception, Milwaukee should definitely do that.
So you don't give LeBron the supermax if he were in Cleveland his 2nd stint? And you are thinking we don't max booker next go around?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:00 pm
Split T wrote:
So you don't give LeBron the supermax if he were in Cleveland his 2nd stint? And you are thinking we don't max booker next go around?
Of course you max Lebron, I’m just talking situations that have actually happened. Supermax for Wall was dumb, same for Westbrook. Portland kinda had to supermax Lillard, but I’d be surprised if they don’t quietly regret it at some point. 50 million a year for Lillard in his mid 30’s is rough.

As for Booker, a lot can change between now and his super max time, but I don’t imagine him ever being worth it. If he doesn’t make you a contender on his own, you just can’t do it. You’re paying almost half your salary cap to one guy. You’d need another star and then have to fill out a roster still. You either have no depth at all or are paying huge luxury tax bills in a small/medium market and probably losing tons of money.

Cap

Post by Cap »

OKC screwed by the refs missing a timeout. I can relate.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cap wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:45 pm
OKC screwed by the refs missing a timeout. I can relate.
Dort was out of bounds before catching his blocked shot and the attempted timeout by Paul.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Both games today were decided at least in part by the officials. It kind of marred an otherwise exciting night of basketball. I think the Rockets were the better team and deserved to win, but OKC was really impressive. They have a bright future even after Paul is gone. In the next series, I don't know who I'll root for. I hate both the Rockets and the Lakers so much. Can they somehow both lose?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:01 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Of course you max Lebron, I’m just talking situations that have actually happened. Supermax for Wall was dumb, same for Westbrook. Portland kinda had to supermax Lillard, but I’d be surprised if they don’t quietly regret it at some point. 50 million a year for Lillard in his mid 30’s is rough.

As for Booker, a lot can change between now and his super max time, but I don’t imagine him ever being worth it. If he doesn’t make you a contender on his own, you just can’t do it. You’re paying almost half your salary cap to one guy. You’d need another star and then have to fill out a roster still. You either have no depth at all or are paying huge luxury tax bills in a small/medium market and probably losing tons of money.
You have to admit though that certain teams have to pay a higher price to keep their stars. Book commands a supermax because he would otherwise leave for a bigger market team with better endorsements or publicity or a more competitive team. No doubt some maxed players hurt their teams by sucking up all the capspace for what they bring. Not every franchise can be the Spurs. With Monty as head coach, one can hope he will install a winning team and philosophy that grows players to the best of their abilities and drafts ultra-wise.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

As I've said before - it's become a shoot and fall down league.

Defenders aren't allowed to do much and offensive players are given every advantage.

And the game has lost something along the way.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The last several seconds of the Rockets Thunder game was entertaining. I don’t think I have ever seen so many consecutive flops before. Everyone was flopping all over the place trying to draw a foul. No wonder the refs have a hard time,

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:57 pm

Defenders aren't allowed to do much and offensive players are given every advantage.

This. It is just awful to watch. And it isn't just Harden like people say.

I still can't figure out if contact after the shot is gone to the shooting arms is a foul. I get if you knock a guy down or come up under him. But if you try to block a shot and get hand/forearm but the shot is long gone, is that a foul or not? Van Gundy says refs told him it isn't, but Mark Jackson says it is...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:10 am
The Bobster wrote:

This. It is just awful to watch. And it isn't just Harden like people say.

I still can't figure out if contact after the shot is gone to the shooting arms is a foul. I get if you knock a guy down or come up under him. But if you try to block a shot and get hand/forearm but the shot is long gone, is that a foul or not? Van Gundy says refs told him it isn't, but Mark Jackson says it is...
I'm no expert, but I thought that contact after the release was still a foul under some circumstances. In particular, if you undercut a guy so he can't land from his jumpshot, that's a foul. Also, if you come crashing into a guy and he sees you coming, it's going to affect his shot, even if you hit him slightly after the shot releases. So it seems right that it's a foul. I just wish they wouldn't call it when the contact is light and doesn't have an effect on the shot's outcome.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cat trying to guard James Harden -

Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:

2nd point for me here--I don't blame the players much at all. If the league sets the rules, and the refs call it that way, you would be stupid not to use that to your advantage.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:26 am
My predictions:

East
Round 1
Bucks over Magic 4-1
Heat over Pacers 4-2 missed on number of games
Celtics over 76ers 4-1 missed on number of games
Raptors over Nets 4-0

East Semis
Bucks over Heat 4-2 (Jimmy never gets out of Round 1)
Raptors over Celtics 4-3

East Finals
Raptors over Bucks 4-2

West
Round 1
Lakers over Blazers 4-1
Thunders over Rockets 4-3 (Dantoni doesn't come back)
Nuggets over Jazz 4-2 missed on number of games
Clips over Mavs 4-2

West Semis
Lakers over Thunder 4-1
Nuggets over Clippers 4-3 (I think this is more what I want to happen than what will happen...just don't want to see an all LA final)

West Finals
Lakers over Nuggets 4-2

NBA Finals
Lakers over Raptors 4-2 (LeBron leads 3rd franchise to a title)
Update after round 1
Missed one series (picked OKC over Houston) and had my number of games wrong on 3 series.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Impressive, I also only missed the Thunder-Rockets series, but I only had number of games right on 2. Called raptors sweep and Lakers in 5.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I got the Pacers/Heat series wrong (a colossal blunder and self-own), but otherwise I did okay on my predictions. I wasn't always close on the number of games (I said, for example, that the Clippers would sweep the Mavs). There aren't a ton of surprises in this year's playoffs so far I would argue. The current series are super interesting; I don't think many folks thought Miami would get off to a 2-0 start over the mighty Bucks.

Here were my second-round predictions:
Second round (conference semifinals):
Lakers over Rockets in 6
Clippers over Nuggets in 5
Bucks over Pacers in 4
Celtics over Raptors in 6
I'm already wrong in multiple ways on the Bucks one. What happens to Milwaukee if the scrappy Heat knock them out? Do they panic and break up most of their roster and remake it around Giannis? I'd counsel them to stay the course and try again, but who knows. Probably they'd at least do a coaching change or one biggish trade or something. I like Giannis a lot as well as some of their other role players like Lopez and Middleton, but I do love seeing Eric Bledsoe fail.

I am feeling good about my Celtics prediction. They could absolutely go to the Finals the way things are going right now. I did pick Milwaukee to beat Boston in the ECF, but if it were Boston vs Miami, I would pick the Celtics.

I'm really interested to watch the Lakers/Rockets series. Houston isn't playing their best, but arguably neither are the Lakers. You can envision a scenario where Houston just gets white-hot from 3 and the Lakers can't keep up. But I don't know if I would pick this current version of the Rockets to beat LA.

Despite their struggles against Dallas, I still like the Clippers a lot to defeat Denver. The Nuggets are a nice up-and-coming team and Murray is playing out of his mind, but I think LAC has the bodies to slow Murray down. That one will also be fun to watch. Two really fun Western Semifinal series!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Milwaukee losing in round 2 would make things real interesting this summer. Does Giannis sign that supermax? Does he wait to see what Milwaukee does? What can milwaukee actually do? Does Bledsoe have much trade value? Would they move Middleton?