Steve Nash to coach Nets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Steve Nash to coach Nets

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm
I think he's a lot like Kerr. And as we know, you're only as good as the players you run out there. He'll have a pretty decent roster, so I think he should be okay.

What really tells you the most about these coaches is what happen when things start to turn to shit like they did in Golden State for Kerr this year. That's when you find out how well they can coach.
So, are you saying Kerr is the worst coach in the Western Conference?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:22 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:36 pm
I would be surprised to see him fail, especially if he has the trust of Marks. They have known each other for 20 years, so I have hard time seeing them not mesh well. I think the key will be about Nash's family. Will his kids still be in LA? That would make it really hard to coach in NY.
I think he likes NY. I bet he has two homes and will keep the family near by.
So RJ Barrett's godfather is going to become a head coach and move to NYC, but decides to coach the "other" team?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:23 pm
The Bobster wrote:
I think he's a lot like Kerr. And as we know, you're only as good as the players you run out there. He'll have a pretty decent roster, so I think he should be okay.

What really tells you the most about these coaches is what happen when things start to turn to shit like they did in Golden State for Kerr this year. That's when you find out how well they can coach.
If we're calling him the greatest coach when they win the championship, I guess we are.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I saw a similar take on twitter. I sort of agree. It seems harder for black former players to jump straight into head coaching gigs. And Nash is being given the reins of a very desirable up-and-coming NBA team with basically no experience. But the (black) players reportedly wanted him, and I can only assume that if they had wanted a talented young black coach instead, they would have been welcome to use their voice to ask for that. I would have more sympathy for this take in this particular case if it was rumored that the front office guys like Marks wanted Nash and hired him without consulting the players. I still agree that there's a general problem here that needs to be addressed more.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:33 pm
Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

If we're calling him the greatest coach when they win the championship, I guess we are.
Who called him the greatest coach?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:56 pm
I saw a similar take on twitter. I sort of agree. It seems harder for black former players to jump straight into head coaching gigs. And Nash is being given the reins of a very desirable up-and-coming NBA team with basically no experience. But the (black) players reportedly wanted him, and I can only assume that if they had wanted a talented young black coach instead, they would have been welcome to use their voice to ask for that. I would have more sympathy for this take in this particular case if it was rumored that the front office guys like Marks wanted Nash and hired him without consulting the players. I still agree that there's a general problem here that needs to be addressed more.
Mark Jackson didn't have any coaching experience, did he? Earl Watson? Kidd?
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:13 pm
Mark Jackson didn't have any coaching experience, did he? Earl Watson? Kidd?
I agree, you can find counterexamples on either side. But for such a predominantly black league, there aren't very many black coaches. And a lot of black assistants have trouble getting a shot at head coaching, or if they do, it's for a very short interim stint before they are replaced (e.g. Vaughn in this case). I think individually a lot of these decisions are defensible, but collectively the stats imply an overabundance of caution about black coaches. It's a very tough problem to solve, partly because there isn't full agreement on the size and scope of it or how best to address it.

I do think that some of the very best coaches in the league are black, like Doc Rivers and our own Monty Williams, and that if you can find a great black coach, you find a way to relate to players that is almost unattainable any other way. Being able to relate to their lived experience is invaluable. Look at Igor Kokoskov, who was probably a bright guy and a sound coaching tactician, but he just couldn't overcome the cultural barrier between himself and his players.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Plenty of high fives to go around.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think this is going to really work. I get it from the Nets front office perspective, they need a guy who will command respect from KD and Kyrie, but Nash doesn't seem like the head coach type to me. I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see him win a title someday.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:12 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

There are those who would point to his all-time record and say he's one of the best ever based on his team's results.

I don't happen to agree, I think he's pretty good, and their bottoming out this year doesn't indicate his true ability.

He's somewhere in between. Like most of the coaches with all-time great won-lost records it has a lot to do with personnel. I think we would all agree on that. Sustaining that level and getting the most out of a less talented roster are the real indications of coaching ability.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

There are those who would point to his all-time record and say he's one of the best ever based on his team's results.

I don't happen to agree, I think he's pretty good, and their bottoming out this year doesn't indicate his true ability.

He's somewhere in between. Like most of the coaches with all-time great won-lost records it has a lot to do with personnel. I think we would all agree on that. Sustaining that level and getting the most out of a less talented roster are the real indications of coaching ability.
Right. I agree with all of that. Kerr has come nowhere near Pop status. Or even Spoelstra status. On the other hand, Kerr did have a pretty darn bad roster this year.
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Bob,

You know, I admittedly haven't kept up with D'Antoni since he's been coaching the Rockets; I assume he's improved since he was with us,

But, I'll always wonder if we had had a better/more well-rounded coach than him if we wouldn't have at least made it to the Finals. I'm not trying to be disparaging, but his system, to me, was pretty much solely embodied by one Steve Nash. The Nash/D'Antoni Era will always be bittersweet to me for two reasons: we never made the Finals, and the team unceremoniously fell apart every single time Nash left the floor. That, in particular, drove me bonkers back in the day.

Maybe I'm being unfair/revisionist, but 2010 with Gentry, although we were eliminated in the conference finals, was somehow more satisfactory to me (and I don't think it's just cuz we swept the Spurs, though I'm sure that figured in) than all of the D'Antoni years put together.

Your thoughts?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
I would be surprised to see him fail, especially if he has the trust of Marks. They have known each other for 20 years, so I have hard time seeing them not mesh well. I think the key will be about Nash's family. Will his kids still be in LA? That would make it really hard to coach in NY.
Direct quote from Nash in today's paper:

“I am as excited about the prospects of the team on the court as I am about moving to Brooklyn with my family and becoming impactful members of this community.”
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:27 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Direct quote from Nash in today's paper:

“I am as excited about the prospects of the team on the court as I am about moving to Brooklyn with my family and becoming impactful members of this community.”
I was talking about the kids that live with his ex-wife. I thought that was one of the key reasons he was happy to go to the Lakers.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:56 pm
Let me just start here: I agree that the world is so much easier for white guys in America. We have it sooooo easy.

BUT

It isn't like they hired just anyone. They hired a first ballot HOFer, two-time MVP, leader of the league's best offense for a dozen years, one of the smartest players around today, and someone that is regarded to have gotten more out of his body/athleticism than anyone imagined.

He did much more for showing how to run a team and change league philosophy than many of the black 1st time coaches mentioned (Mark Jackson, Watson, Doc Rivers, McMillan, etc.).
Last edited by Indy on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

^ Yeah, I think I agree with that take. I think white privilege is a real thing, but Nash is arguably very qualified to be given a shot as a coach.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

https://nypost.com/2020/09/04/charles-b ... nash-hire/
“I was very disappointed in some of the guys on television today talking about white privilege. Very disappointed,” Barkley said on TNT’s “Inside the NBA” on Thursday. “They’re like, ‘Well, this doesn’t happen to Black guys.’ And I’m like, ‘It happened to Doc Rivers. It happened to Jason Kidd. It happened to Derek Fisher.’

Nine of the 16 coaches hired without any previous experience since 1978-79 are Black.

“When you have a responsibility, especially when you have to talk about something as serious as race, you can’t be full of crap,” Barkley said. “You’ve got to be honest and fair.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:48 pm
“I was very disappointed in some of the guys on television today talking about white privilege. Very disappointed,” Barkley said on TNT’s “Inside the NBA” on Thursday. “They’re like, ‘Well, this doesn’t happen to Black guys.’ And I’m like, ‘It happened to Doc Rivers. It happened to Jason Kidd. It happened to Derek Fisher.’

Nine of the 16 coaches hired without any previous experience since 1978-79 are Black.

“When you have a responsibility, especially when you have to talk about something as serious as race, you can’t be full of crap,” Barkley said. “You’ve got to be honest and fair.
He also called out Shaq for minimizing Montrezl Harrell's racial comment to Luka Doncic.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:06 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:48 pm

He also called out Shaq for minimizing Montrezl Harrell's racial comment to Luka Doncic.
I've always liked Barkley, he sticks up for what's right. He doesn't pick sides.