NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:56 pm
"Who are your all-time "Suns shoulda kept him" guys?"

Dennis Johnson is high on that list.

Gail Goodrich.

Although he never played for the Suns, Rajon Rondo was a draft pick that was traded (in a deal that eventually saw the Suns drafting Rudy Fernandez, who also then was traded.

I'll acknowledge Joe Johnson, (the trade has been discussed to exhaustion)

Shawn Marion (Shaq was in the twilight of his career, and disrupted the Suns offensive scheme).
You got the big ones.

Paul Silas would be in there too.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

What about Thunder Dan?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Paul Silas was traded for Charlie Scott, which was a fairly even trade. Scott posted some big numbers for the Suns.

Majerle was traded for Hot Rod Williams, who was a solid rebounder and post defender for Cleveland. He was involved in a car accident I believe shortly before or after the trade, and hurt his back, rendering him less ineffective for his stay in Phoenix. On the face of the original trade, it seemed a fairly even swap. But the results were not kind for Phoenix. There was also the controversy that Barkley favored the trade initially, but in later years said he regretted the Suns trading Majerle...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:08 am
Paul Silas was traded for Charlie Scott, which was a fairly even trade. Scott posted some big numbers for the Suns.

Majerle was traded for Hot Rod Williams, who was a solid rebounder and post defender for Cleveland. He was involved in a car accident I believe shortly before or after the trade, and hurt his back, rendering him less ineffective for his stay in Phoenix. On the face of the original trade, it seemed a fairly even swap. But the results were not kind for Phoenix. There was also the controversy that Barkley favored the trade initially, but in later years said he regretted the Suns trading Majerle...
So, the Suns first traded Paul Silas for Charlie Scott and then later traded Scott back to Boston for Paul Westphal?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How about Barkley himself? What if we had held on to him until retirement?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Shaq years were kind of fun (I guess we only had him for a year and a half) but we probably should have just held onto Marion.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:59 am
Chuck didn't want to be here and did all he could to get traded.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:57 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:08 am

So, the Suns first traded Paul Silas for Charlie Scott and then later traded Scott back to Boston for Paul Westphal?
The Suns signed Charlie Scott from the ABA at the end of the 1971-72 season and agreed to send Paul Silas as the "Player to be Named Later." Colangelo had second thoughts and tried to get Boston to accept something other than Silas, but they refused.

Westphal was behind Jo Jo White and Don Chaney in the Boston backcourt in 1974-75, but Chaney had signed a contract with St. Louis of the ABA in 1974 and would be joining them in 1975, so they needed someone to start at guard with White. Instead of plugging in Westphal, they traded for Scott, who was more established at the time (he had averaged 30 points a game in Virginia and just under 25 with the Suns). After a year and a half in Boston Scott was traded to the Lakers for Kermit Washington, Chaney (who had signed with the Lakers when the ABA died) and a first round pick.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:59 am
I loved Barkley, but by the time he pouted his way off the team, he was already in decline. He was settling for bad 3-pointers and hitting under 30% of them. He kept getting nagging injuries, and he showed up out of shape. As much of an all-timer as he was, I wasn't actually that sad to see him go. Arguably we didn't get the best package back for him (puu-puu platter from the Rockets including, I think, Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Mark Bryant, and Chucky Brown). Should've asked for a pick.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So, the Bucks are officially out; the Heat eliminate them 4-1 in their series. Pretty amazing. Some people picked the Heat to win their series, but I can't imagine many people thought the Bucks would be out in 5 games. A really stunning defeat for them and a crushing blow to a team many expected to contend for the title.

Lot of questions now for their future. Most teams would fire the coach after such a performance, but Bud is a good coach, and I think the Bucks would be unwise to boot him so soon. Who are they going to get better than Bud?

I also think they'd be really stupid to trade Giannis. Trade some of their other pieces, sure, but you don't let a guy like that go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:10 pm
So, the Bucks are officially out; the Heat eliminate them 4-1 in their series. Pretty amazing. Some people picked the Heat to win their series, but I can't imagine many people thought the Bucks would be out in 5 games. A really stunning defeat for them and a crushing blow to a team many expected to contend for the title.

Lot of questions now for their future. Most teams would fire the coach after such a performance, but Bud is a good coach, and I think the Bucks would be unwise to boot him so soon. Who are they going to get better than Bud?

I also think they'd be really stupid to trade Giannis. Trade some of their other pieces, sure, but you don't let a guy like that go.
Billy Donovan just became available. I agree they shouldn’t trade Giannis. I just hope they do....to us

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Without Giannis they are a lottery team, its the other pieces they need to fix.

re: suns of past, I agree, letting Barkley go wasn't the worst part, it was that we got junk back and whilst we were still a playoff team for a few yeras largely we weren't anywhere near contending, until we re-set with Marion/Amare/Nash

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I was bummed when we didn't get Bud but it all worked out and I think we got the perfect coach for this team.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Yeah, between his stints in Atlanta and now Milwaukee, it seems like Bud has hit his ceiling.

He's a really good regular season coach because he's good at utilizing a 9-10 player rotation, but he loses that advantage in the playoffs when real contenders usually play 8 guys in must-win games.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Giannis said he was committed to staying in Milwaukee, continuing to build the culture and competing. But guys say lots of things...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:38 am
Giannis said he was committed to staying in Milwaukee, continuing to build the culture and competing. But guys say lots of things...
He just said that recently?
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy

Post by Indy »

We can dream

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Good for him. I think he can be part of a championship team in Milwaukee. And it'll be good for him to continue to fight to get better. Glad he doesn't just want to bail and chase a ring like so many of today's players.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think that the Bucks need to make a deal for CP3. If they can do it for Bledsoe, Hill, Ersan, DJ Wilson and a 1st, they should.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass