Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:07 pm
Has anyone heard a target date to start the next season? I remember hearing something about Christmas Day some time back, but that seems unlikely if the draft is on Nov. 18th.
I'm guessing it's going to be Feb or March at this point.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm sure they'd love to get away from football season, but I'm curious how that'll work out with the NCAA schedule and draft in the future.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:07 pm
Has anyone heard a target date to start the next season? I remember hearing something about Christmas Day some time back, but that seems unlikely if the draft is on Nov. 18th.
The league originally said December 1st (or thereabouts) and then floated the Christmas timeline. But the players association pushed back. I can't see the season ending in October, then starting up again in December. Seems crazy. I agree that they would love to get away from the NFL schedule... I would be happy with basketball being a spring/summer sport instead of fall/winter.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I doubt there's any way next season starts up before January. I think February/early March was being eyed by the PA.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 am
I doubt there's any way next season starts up before January. I think February/early March was being eyed by the PA.
And are we thinking it is a 65 game season?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think I've seen anything yet about a shortened season, but there has been talk in the past about reducing the number of games so the league using the pandemic to adopt a shorter season wouldn't surprise me. At some point, they'll have to get back on a normal schedule so if they could fit 65 games in from mid February '21 thru June '21, then playoffs July-August, draft/FA in September and then start 21-22 on Christmas for a 65 game regular season that takes them to April '22? I do like the play-in style for the 8th spot like there was in the bubble, maybe it could be extended or be a 3 game series somehow.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:47 am
I would be happy with basketball being a spring/summer sport instead of fall/winter.
I don't know. It might mess up my retirement plan where I would like in the Valley in the winter and have season tickets and live elsewhere the other half of the year.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:57 pm
I don't think I've seen anything yet about a shortened season, but there has been talk in the past about reducing the number of games so the league using the pandemic to adopt a shorter season wouldn't surprise me. At some point, they'll have to get back on a normal schedule so if they could fit 65 games in from mid February '21 thru June '21, then playoffs July-August, draft/FA in September and then start 21-22 on Christmas for a 65 game regular season that takes them to April '22? I do like the play-in style for the 8th spot like there was in the bubble, maybe it could be extended or be a 3 game series somehow.
I would so love them to do a bracket-style tournament. Give top 2 teams in each conference a #1 seed. Give the next 2 teams in each a #2 seed. Then invite the next 16 teams based solely on record (not conference) to the seeding tournament.

The seeding games would start with a single game (1 plays 16, 2 plays 15, etc) and if you lose, you go home.

After that the winners all play each other 1 time (7 more games) and the results are added to their regular season record to determine final playoff seeding.

I think it would be exciting to know that a team could be in 5th place in their conference but still miss out on the playoffs if they can't beat one of the worse teams.

It might also allow for better parity between the conferences in the playoffs.

Like almost all trade scenarios we discuss here, it will never happen, but it is fun to dream.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:16 pm
Thunder will be blowing it up I think. Build around SGA/Dort/Bazely. See what they can get for CP3, Schroeder, and Adams.
I don't know if moving Adams makes sense. He is 27, and a solid center. His toughness is great to have with talented young players.

Schroeder is 26 and makes $15 million a year. Not sure if there is a need to move him either.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:16 pm
Thunder will be blowing it up I think. Build around SGA/Dort/Bazely. See what they can get for CP3, Schroeder, and Adams.
I don't know if moving Adams makes sense. He is 27, and a solid center. His toughness is great to have with talented young players.

Schroeder is 26 and makes $15 million a year. Not sure if there is a need to move him either.
True, makes some sense to hang onto those guys. Both would be on expiring contracts. Could always move them at the deadline if things aren’t working and you’re not gonna being them back.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think Chris Paul lands in Chicago or Philadelphia.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

OKC keeps Paul and trades Adams + picks & pick swaps for Giannis.

Split T

Post by Split T »

D’Antoni is out in Houston. Speculation he’d look at Philly. Think he could do wonders for Ben Simmons. Might need to move Embiid though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Pelicans could also be interesting for MDA, but they just had Gentry who essentially adopted most of what MDA was doing in Phoenix. Might want something different.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:34 am
D’Antoni is out in Houston. Speculation he’d look at Philly. Think he could do wonders for Ben Simmons. Might need to move Embiid though.
His choice?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:52 pm
Split T wrote:
His choice?
Yes, he decided to not resign.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

MikeD in NOLA would be fun. Philly would be interesting and he was an assistant there. Indy was rumored to have interest when they let McMillan go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ve heard Houston is interested in San Cassell. Currently an assistant with Clippers

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:52 pm
Split T wrote:
His choice?
Yes, he decided to not resign.
Interesting as that team was built for him.
"Be Legendary."