Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by Superbone »

https://www.nba.com/suns/community/suns ... estination
SUNS & MERCURY SECURE MADHOUSE AS VOTER DESTINATION
Sarver, Booker, and Bridges leading the voting initiative with State of Arizona and Maricopa County
A task force including Phoenix Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver and the Suns’ Devin Booker and Mikal Bridges, has been working closely with Arizona state and Maricopa County officials to establish a broad reaching voter engagement initiative for the upcoming elections on November 3, 2020.

This initiative includes utilizing the Veterans Memorial Coliseum, also known as the Madhouse on McDowell, as a voting center and early voting ballot drop location in order to encourage the greater Phoenix and Maricopa County community to vote. Additionally, all employees of the Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury will be offered the opportunity to volunteer as poll workers at various polling locations throughout Maricopa County.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:14 pm
Sarver, Booker, and Bridges leading the voting initiative with State of Arizona and Maricopa County
A task force including Phoenix Suns Managing Partner Robert Sarver and the Suns’ Devin Booker and Mikal Bridges, has been working closely with Arizona state and Maricopa County officials to establish a broad reaching voter engagement initiative for the upcoming elections on November 3, 2020.

This initiative includes utilizing the Veterans Memorial Coliseum, also known as the Madhouse on McDowell, as a voting center and early voting ballot drop location in order to encourage the greater Phoenix and Maricopa County community to vote. Additionally, all employees of the Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury will be offered the opportunity to volunteer as poll workers at various polling locations throughout Maricopa County.
So they are offered the opportunity to volunteer? I am hoping they mean that the Suns/Mercury will pay them their normal salary/wage while volunteering.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:06 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:14 pm

So they are offered the opportunity to volunteer? I am hoping they mean that the Suns/Mercury will pay them their normal salary/wage while volunteering.
I assume it means at least that those who take time off of work to do it won’t have it docked from their pay or accumulated vacation hours. I don’t know what it means for those who volunteer when they’re not otherwise scheduled to work.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:46 am
[tweet goes here]
I haven't heard of him before, but I like that we hired someone that stood out for his defense when he played professionally.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://www.nba.com/suns/news/suns-add- ... hing-staff
The Phoenix Suns today announced the addition of Brian Randle as an assistant coach on the team’s coaching staff. Randle joins the Suns following two seasons on the staff of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

“My family and I are incredibly excited to join the Phoenix Suns,” said Randle. “I couldn’t be more excited to work with and learn from Coach Monty Williams. The Suns have a strong young core with a great future ahead; I am grateful and humbled for this opportunity.”

Randle, 35, spent last season as a player development coach with the Timberwolves, his second season in Minnesota after first joining their staff as assistant video coordinator for the 2018-19 season. He entered the coaching world following 10 seasons playing professionally overseas, primarily in Israel with stops in Germany and Italy. Randle was named the Israeli League Defensive Player of the Year a league-record three times (2009, 2014 and 2015) and helped guide his teams to a Eurocup Final Four appearance in 2017, two Israeli Cups (2015, 2016) and an Israeli League championship in 2010.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I saw a tweet saying that maybe this is partly to offset the lack of a G-League team, since he could work with our young guys. Seems like a solid hire.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is cool:

https://www.nba.com/suns/water-bowl

Good on Malcolm Brodgon and Ty Jerome.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Seems like a loss for the coaching staff. That's 3 gone from this year:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Was this a lateral move? Or a step up for him? Not sure it’s a huge concern either way, but clearly more concerning if it’s a lateral move.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I know he was close with Saric. I wonder if this means more of a chance of moving on from him.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:33 am
Was this a lateral move? Or a step up for him? Not sure it’s a huge concern either way, but clearly more concerning if it’s a lateral move.
Losing 3 assistant coaches in year one of a new coach, after losing the entire training staff is not great. Especially because he left to get the promotion from assistant coach to... assistant coach.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:33 am
Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:33 am
Losing 3 assistant coaches in year one of a new coach, after losing the entire training staff is not great. Especially because he left to get the promotion from assistant coach to... assistant coach.
I get the sense that the other 2 were let go, not that they left. This one does have more cause for concern. But it still could simply be an opportunity thing.

As an assistant who wants to be a head coach, it’s probably not a bad thing to get exposure to more front offices, more coaching staffs, more players, etc.

Just don’t want to assume he left because of problems within the coaching staff, front office, or ownership. Although that could be the case.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Optimistic interpretation: Maybe he figures Monty is doing so well here that he is unlikely to leave or be fired any time soon, so he figures he needs to go to another franchise to get a shot at head coaching.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 am
Optimistic interpretation: Maybe he figures Monty is doing so well here that he is unlikely to leave or be fired any time soon, so he figures he needs to go to another franchise to get a shot at head coaching.
That was my initial take when I saw the news.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

All just guesses at this point. Maybe the Suns impressed so much during the 8 game winning streak that they got grabbed. Like winning the Super Bowl and then half your team is picked off in the off season.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm
All just guesses at this point. Maybe the Suns impressed so much during the 8 game winning streak that they got grabbed. Like winning the Super Bowl and then half your team is picked off in the off season.
Phx-Suns.net, where missing the playoffs is like winning the Super Bowl.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Been a long decade, Cap.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Barbosa Retires:

Frustratingly loveable and polarizing, won a 6MOY with us and a ring with the Ws. Had incredible speed up and down the floor, turned into a lethal 3PT shooter but could never hold down the backup PG spot when Nash was off the floor. Probably another one of the 7SOL guys we took for granted at times but he turned into a reliable scorer off the bench after early confidence issues. Here are some highlights, FYI the music is NSFW...

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:25 pm
Been a long decade, Cap.
My birthday is coming up near the end of next month. I will be halfway to 90.

I was in my early 30s the last time the Suns made the playoffs. That just sounds fucking awful.

Ugh.