Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Mori Chu »

That Rockets team is a weird one. I really don't like the fit between Harden and Westbrook. I don't know if keeping Paul would have been better asset-wise, but I liked the team better with Paul overall than I do with Westbrook. And my understanding is that they have uncharacteristically mortgaged several of their future draft picks to assemble this current team of theirs. I do think they've peaked and aren't going to win any titles with this core. They could make some moves and reload around Harden, but it's hard to know what they can do given their depletion of assets. I think they may have some rough years ahead.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya they don’t have picks for the next few years. To be fair to Westbrook, he wasn’t really healthy in the playoffs. It was working before the shutdown with Westbrook playing really well up to the all star break.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just shows that analytics alone won’t get it done. Here’s looking at you Daryl Morey.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:49 pm
That Rockets team is a weird one. I really don't like the fit between Harden and Westbrook. I don't know if keeping Paul would have been better asset-wise, but I liked the team better with Paul overall than I do with Westbrook. And my understanding is that they have uncharacteristically mortgaged several of their future draft picks to assemble this current team of theirs. I do think they've peaked and aren't going to win any titles with this core. They could make some moves and reload around Harden, but it's hard to know what they can do given their depletion of assets. I think they may have some rough years ahead.
Would the Suns dare dangle Ayton Oubre and multiple firsts for Harden?

I don’t like him, but is it time for the rockets to listen to offers?

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:37 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:49 pm
Would the Suns dare dangle Ayton Oubre and multiple firsts for Harden?

I don’t like him, but is it time for the rockets to listen to offers?
If I'm dangling Ayton and Oubre and picks, I'm going after Giannis. I don't think Harden would pair well with Booker. But I do think Houston needs to listen to offers because Westbrook will become an albatross sooner than later, if he isn't already.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Well the good news for us would seem to be that the Rockets are screwed. They went all in on D'Antoni ball and he left so now they're looking at Harden and Westbrook with PJ Tucker at center unless some major changes are made. I don't know what coach would want to step into that situation right now. Capela was at least an athletic defensive big most coaches would love to have on the floor. But that PJ Tucker BS wasn't going to fly long term or in the playoffs. And MikeD said the Lakers beat them with "smallball" because AD was center...not quite. Either way, you figure they have to make some changes and maybe fall off some next season.

Not quite sure how to fix them. They need a big now in the worst way and Westbrook probably needs to go.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think anything is possible with Houston right now.

Which potential coach could come in and salvage that situation with the current roster? Moray has to be next, right?

I don't usually dive into roster fan-fiction too much, but if it were possible to add Harden to Booker and Ayton, it would have to be attempted.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Bucks get Westbrook and Rockets get Bledsoe, Brook and Illyasova or something?

Knicks get Westbrook and Rockets get Randle, Taj and Ellington/Elf Payton plus picks?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Westbrook should be Knick more than any other current player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Knicks do make sense. Westbrook has his flaws, but he could improve the Knicks a lot. Even get them back into the playoff discussion.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I actually like the idea of Westbrook/Knicks a lot. They haven't had a real mofo on their roster for a while; their fans would love him and how hard he plays every night. And he might actually help their team.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Hermen wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:26 am
OKC keeps Paul and trades Adams + picks & pick swaps for Giannis.
OKC could offer 1,000 first rounders in that deal and Milwaukee would still say no. Steven Adams isn't going to get it done.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:00 pm
I’ve heard Houston is interested in San Cassell. Currently an assistant with Clippers
Sam Cassell would definitely be a different voice/direction. He could probably connect with Westbrook and Harden.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:29 am
Bucks get Westbrook and Rockets get Bledsoe, Brook and Illyasova or something?

Knicks get Westbrook and Rockets get Randle, Taj and Ellington/Elf Payton plus picks?
Both of those are interesting scenarios, although I don't think NY package is what Houston would be looking for. But I agree NY is a great destination for Westbrook.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Houston scenario could only work depending on who they bring on as coach. Maybe a new coach says, "sure, give me an offensive minded 20-10 power forward to pair with Harden instead of another guard". Other than that, I don't know what NY could do in terms of salary to send over unless there's a 3rd team involved.

Westbrook would take the pressure off RJ and make Mitch better, assuming the Rockets don't insist on one of those coming back in the deal.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Westbrook needs to embrace his identity as a power forward. He's guard-Shawn Marion, but he plays with a green light like he's Steve Nash.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Big news for Book:

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Well, he's not a virgin anymore.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori isn’t gonna be happy...no Rubio on there.