NYT bombshell article about Trump's taxes and finances

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

NYT bombshell article about Trump's taxes and finances

Post by Mori Chu »

Stop what you're doing and read this huge expose' from the New York Times about Trump's finances.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... taxes.html

It's really stunning stuff. They have a huge scoop here. Trump is either participating in massive money laundering/fraud or is an absolutely horrendous businessman, losing hundreds of millions of dollars every year. He's also been paying almost zero in taxes for the past 10-12 years.

Cap

Re: NYT bombshell article about Trump's taxes and finances

Post by Cap »

Bombshell? It makes zero difference.

Let me know if you ever find a voter who was for Trump until the reporting on his taxes, then switched to Biden.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm with Cap. None of this surprises me because I've always believed that Trump is a crook.

This report won't move the needle at all for Trump supporters and I doubt it'll really get anyone who wasn't going to vote to go out and vote for Biden.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He could shoot a man on fifth ave and...never mind.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I get it, the temptation to say that nothing matters with Trump. And sure, I agree that most Trump voters won't change their minds based on some article like this. But I do think there are undecided voters out there who are swayed by this sort of thing. I also think it can serve as a turnout depresser that causes some otherwise Trump voters not to want to vote for him and instead leaving their POTUS vote blank or voting for a 3rd party candidate. I do think these things matter. Trump can't win with just his base alone; he needs some swing voters, some independents, some undecideds, etc. to get re-elected.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Trump is the first grifter/con man to become President of the United States of America.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1539036/bi ... ote-biden/
"All the Hillary equivocators from 2016, the people who said she was racist, not really that different from Trump, the ones who voted third party, the ones who stayed home because, 'you know, the lesser of two evils,' sorry, but you all have to eat it one more time," Maher said.

He continued: "How I would love me some of that Hillary evil right now. You know, the evil where liberals would currently have a 6-3 majority on the court, the evil where people wouldn’t be facing having their health care taken away or their right to vote or where America wasn’t sliding into autocracy."

The Liberal comedian, during his "Real Time" show on Friday, also slammed "screaming" Democrats for whining about Republican hypocrisy over the president filling the Supreme Court seat vacated by Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

"Democrats are screaming now about Republican hypocrisy over Trump filling the Ginsburg seat in an election year. 'They said one thing when it was Obama, now they're saying the complete opposite! How do they sleep at night'?" Maher said, mocking Democrats.

He continued: "I'll tell you how. Like a baby. Because, like a baby, they have no morals."

Maher told Democrats that there is no point in trying to criticize Republicans for inconsistency and "bald-faced premeditated hypocrisy" because "they don’t care."

"The only rule Republicans play by is the people who win make the rules. Power talks, losers walk," Maher said.

Maher went on to slam the president as a "malignant narcissist" and said if Clinton was president the US would still be in the Paris Climate Accord and Iran's nuclear program would "still be frozen – and maybe so is Greenland."

"Joe Biden is far from a perfect candidate and I have serious doubts they'll ever let him take office," Maher said.

"But giving him a vote total so huge it will be hard to ignore is the very last Hail Mary pass we have."
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

NYT Times story is another non-story. Trump even bragged about paying less taxes during one of the debates in 2016 saying it just showed how smart he was. I mean, who wants to pay taxes?

And Maher is right. Rs play to win. They've been playing the long game for decades now and have this country right where they want it. Trump's not leaving office short of a total blowout and/or civil war. If he loses in a close race, he'll challenge everything, claim fraud/suppression and take it to the courts. If he's blown out, he'll claim fraud/suppression and take it to the courts.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:35 pm
NYT Times story is another non-story. Trump even bragged about paying less taxes during one of the debates in 2016 saying it just showed how smart he was. I mean, who wants to pay taxes?

And Maher is right. Rs play to win. They've been playing the long game for decades now and have this country right where they want it. Trump's not leaving office short of a total blowout and/or civil war. If he loses in a close race, he'll challenge everything, claim fraud/suppression and take it to the courts. If he's blown out, he'll claim fraud/suppression and take it to the courts.
Cruz already said publicly that the reason they are packing the courts is to win any case related to a close election.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:03 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Cruz already said publicly that the reason they are packing the courts is to win any case related to a close election.
I just explained to one of my Korean co-workers that this is exactly what I'm expecting to happen. Trump will take this to the Supreme Court unless he wins convincingly, which I think is very unlikely. So this will be dragged out in the courts and we'll have to see if the judges are serving the people via the constitution or their political class members.

One thing that has me encouraged is the record number of early votes being tallied. On the other hand, if there is a record number of total votes in the election, it will give Trump more ammunition for the "illegal voters" nonsense because he's incapable of accepting that a majority of the country hates his fucking guts. So if the election is an absolute steamrolling in favor of Biden, Trump's followers will believe the Democrats did something to manipulate the voting numbers. Of course without any proof, since their dear leader never has proof for anything other than "trust me".
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Speaking of early votes. I get my ballot on October 5. It's going in the mailbox on October 6.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Speaking of early votes. I get my ballot on October 5. It's going in the mailbox on October 6.
I have decided not to mail in my ballot. I can vote early in AZ at a polling place in a couple weeks.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Early voting period in AZ is Oct 7-30. Then there are three days before Election Day when you can’t vote.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't expect long line or big crowds, so that is how I plan on voting. Probably middle of the day later that first week. I need to read up on one of the propositions and any judges.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think I will wait by the mailbox for my ballot, fill it out and hand it back to the mailman before he leaves.

:)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:16 am
I think I will wait by the mailbox for my ballot, fill it out and hand it back to the mailman before he leaves.

And hope he doesn't destroy it and that it gets delivered on time and counted.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:36 am
Nodack wrote:

One nice thing about Utah (which is almost completely mail-in), is that you can track your ballot to see when it's received back by the elections office.

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:38 pm
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:

One nice thing about Utah (which is almost completely mail-in), is that you can track your ballot to see when it's received back by the elections office.
I love that. I have been gone from AZ for a while so I don't know if we have that. And in MI you couldn't even vote absentee without a justification when I first got there.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:48 pm
wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:38 pm
Indy wrote:
Nodack wrote:

I love that. I have been gone from AZ for a while so I don't know if we have that. And in MI you couldn't even vote absentee without a justification when I first got there.
Yes, you do. Talked to my mom in AZ about it. You can track when it is received and when it is counted. Same in CA.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »