Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:41 am
Oubre and Rubio for FVV and Siakam. Saves them a ton of money. Who says no?
Haha, I do that too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:44 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:36 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:24 am
Still kinda meh on adding FVV at the cost of Rubio and Oubre.
Agreed, that would suck. Good thing is that's not exactly what would happen.
In all seriousness, I hope you are right. Toronto could use a scoring SF; I wonder if they would do FVV for Oubre straight up.
There’s no need to trade Oubre to toronto in a sign and trade. That’s way too much value to just dump if FVV has already committed to join here. I would hope we would shop Kelly for a value PF and draft pick.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:21 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:44 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:36 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:24 am
Still kinda meh on adding FVV at the cost of Rubio and Oubre.
Agreed, that would suck. Good thing is that's not exactly what would happen.
In all seriousness, I hope you are right. Toronto could use a scoring SF; I wonder if they would do FVV for Oubre straight up.
There’s no need to trade Oubre to toronto in a sign and trade. That’s way too much value to just dump if FVV has already committed to join here. I would hope we would shop Kelly for a value PF and draft pick.
You're right. I thought he was restricted.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If we renounce our guys to free up the capspace needed, then we can't go over the cap to re-sign them? I'm fuzzy on cap holds and how that works. We'd use all our capspace on FVV and not be able to bring back Baynes or Dario?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:48 am
If we renounce our guys to free up the capspace needed, then we can't go over the cap to re-sign them? I'm fuzzy on cap holds and how that works. We'd use all our capspace on FVV and not be able to bring back Baynes or Dario?
That's correct. They'd be unrestricted free agents and we wouldn't have more than the room exception to offer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:48 am
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it would go without giving up Rubio or Oubre. There would be a big need for backup center and a possible big natural PF, but I think those can be found in the bargain bin. At least, that's what NBA twitter "experts" tell me.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Pipe dream:
Sign FVV
Trade Oubre for Wood
Draft Toppin

Rubio - FVV
Booker - FVV
Bridges - Johnson
Wood - Toppin
Ayton - Toppin

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:38 am
Pipe dream:
Sign FVV
Trade Oubre for Wood
Draft Toppin

Rubio - FVV
Booker - FVV
Bridges - Johnson
Wood - Toppin
Ayton - Toppin
Even if you swapped Toppin in your scenario for a pick(s) later like Terry and maybe Scrubb, I still could see something decent.

FVV - Rubio - Terry
Booker - FVV - Terry
Bridges - Johnson - Scrubb
Wood - Johnson
Ayton - Wood

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

See losing the bigs and having to replace them with little to no money worries me most. I'd like at least Dario or Baynes back in the backup big role. They're not irreplaceable but to go bargain hunting and end up with a Kaminsky or Diallo in a main backup role is less than ideal.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Detroit and Toronto are both interesting because they could reload and be very good in the east next year. If they try to reload and fail, they could really hurt themselves for a couple of years. Or they could cash in on assets and rebuild.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You’ve got me excited In2...a long term core of FVV/Booker/Ayton with Bridges/Johnson on the wings is really nice. Not sure if Oubre fits long term, but if he buys into being a 6th man it would work. Might get real expensive though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:42 am
See losing the bigs and having to replace them with little to no money worries me most. I'd like at least Dario or Baynes back in the backup big role. They're not irreplaceable but to go bargain hunting and end up with a Kaminsky or Diallo in a main backup role is less than ideal.
That’s fair, but if it’s FVV and a room exception big vs Saric and a room exception guard, I’ll take FVV every time. There are a few solid options. I think Meyers Leonard might be a good one.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:42 am
I understand, but here are the paths if that happens:
Rubio and Oubre become trade chips.
There are a few bigs worth looking at if we move back in the draft.
There are more good forwards on the market this summer than guards.
Does Saric really have much market value? I think we can bring him back for the minimum.
And then we would still have the "Room Exception" which is about 4 million.
or if all that fails, we have a rough year with opposing bigs and address the issue next off season.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

As excited as I am, it's tough to see FVV leaving Toronto.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:46 am
You’ve got me excited In2...a long term core of FVV/Booker/Ayton with Bridges/Johnson on the wings is really nice. Not sure if Oubre fits long term, but if he buys into being a 6th man it would work. Might get real expensive though.
Yeah, I wonder if Oubre might end up being the odd man out, if he doesn't want to fill the 6th man role, but at the same time I could see Rubio going to the bench and Johnson continue off the bench too.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:56 am
As excited as I am, it's tough to see FVV leaving Toronto.
Besides Siakam and Powell, they don't have a lot of young guys. Gasol has already signed with Barcelona, so he's gone. I think he sees the vets are in flux and they are trying to run a hail mary pass for a Giannis bid next yr, that may not work. I know he likes how he could fit in Phx w/ their young up and coming core and likes the weather(at least during the normal season).

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:03 am
Split T wrote:
Yeah, I wonder if Oubre might end up being the odd man out, if he doesn't want to fill the 6th man role, but at the same time I could see Rubio going to the bench and Johnson continue off the bench too.
I do wonder who’d move to the bench that first year if we kept Rubio. FVV is better, but he also might make more sense off the bench. Either way, I think we can find 30 minutes for both Rubio and FVV. Though I think dropping Rubio down to 26 or so could be really beneficial for him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:07 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:03 am
Split T wrote:
I do wonder who’d move to the bench that first year if we kept Rubio. FVV is better, but he also might make more sense off the bench. Either way, I think we can find 30 minutes for both Rubio and FVV. Though I think dropping Rubio down to 26 or so could be really beneficial for him.
I tend to agree with you on this. You put your natural position players in the starting lineup and FVV can sub for either one while being able to play with either. I guess you could do the same thing with Rubio too, but FVV offers a little more punch offensively & defensively off the bench.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep, I like Rubio playing with Ayton. Though Ayton could definitely develop some chemistry with FVV

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Don't forget the Bubble Buster Cam Payne.