Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:31 am
Don't forget the Bubble Buster Cam Payne.
Can't forget that guy. He's been saying everything right so far, and how he loves being a Sun.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:05 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:56 am
As excited as I am, it's tough to see FVV leaving Toronto.
Besides Siakam and Powell, they don't have a lot of young guys. Gasol has already signed with Barcelona, so he's gone. I think he sees the vets are in flux and they are trying to run a hail mary pass for a Giannis bid next yr, that may not work. I know he likes how he could fit in Phx w/ their young up and coming core and likes the weather(at least during the normal season).
The question is, will that young up and coming core be kept together? Ayton, Bridges and Johnson are going to get a lot more expensive when their rookie contracts expire. It’s not hard to imagine Sarver dismantling the team to cut costs.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:17 am
In2ition wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:05 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:56 am
As excited as I am, it's tough to see FVV leaving Toronto.
Besides Siakam and Powell, they don't have a lot of young guys. Gasol has already signed with Barcelona, so he's gone. I think he sees the vets are in flux and they are trying to run a hail mary pass for a Giannis bid next yr, that may not work. I know he likes how he could fit in Phx w/ their young up and coming core and likes the weather(at least during the normal season).
The question is, will that young up and coming core be kept together? Ayton, Bridges and Johnson are going to get a lot more expensive when their rookie contracts expire. It’s not hard to imagine Sarver dismantling the team to cut costs.
I get that. You would hope that he learned from his mistakes with the 7SOL crew that he did the same to and how it hurt the chances of a chip and the value of the team later on. It's hard to tell if he did or would learn.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It seems like our goal for the last 10 years was to put a team together that could grow together. Sarver better let it do so!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This is a nice new series on the Suns:

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

If this is our off season, how would you feel:

1. We trade 10 and Ty Jerome to Dallas for 18 and 31
2. We draft Jalen Smith and Desmond Bane
3. We use cap space created from dumping Ty and trading down to sign FVV(We let Saric, Baynes, Kaminsky, Diallo, Okobo, Carter go)
4. Room Exception used on Meyers Leonard

We run:
1. Rubio/FVV/Payne
2. Booker/FVV/Bane
3. Bridges/Oubre
4. Johnson/Oubre
5. Ayton/Leonard/Smith

That’s 11 guys. I think you can start FVV and bring Rubio off the bench as well. Bring Carter back at the minimum if he wants...or bi-annual exception if we have it. That’s 12. Lecque is 13. Add two minimum contract guys at 3/4 to get us to 15.

Bane probably doesn’t make it to 31, but the athletic mock draft still had him available. Could take Bane at 18 and Zeke Nnaji at 31. Patrick Williams or Saddiq Bey could also be potential picks at 18.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:38 am
If this is our off season, how would you feel:

1. We trade 10 and Ty Jerome to Dallas for 18 and 31
2. We draft Jalen Smith and Desmond Bane
3. We use cap space created from dumping Ty and trading down to sign FVV(We let Saric, Baynes, Kaminsky, Diallo, Okobo, Carter go)
4. Room Exception used on Meyers Leonard

We run:
1. Rubio/FVV/Payne
2. Booker/FVV/Bane
3. Bridges/Oubre
4. Johnson/Oubre
5. Ayton/Leonard/Smith

That’s 11 guys. I think you can start FVV and bring Rubio off the bench as well. Bring Carter back at the minimum if he wants...or bi-annual exception if we have it. That’s 12. Lecque is 13. Add two minimum contract guys at 3/4 to get us to 15.

Bane probably doesn’t make it to 31, but the athletic mock draft still had him available. Could take Bane at 18 and Zeke Nnaji at 31. Patrick Williams or Saddiq Bey could also be potential picks at 18.
I like the first half of the thoughts.

Paying Rubio $17M to be your third best guard is way too much for what he brings. I would look to send him out.

I’d be more interested in Ibaka or Christian Wood than Meyers Leonard, and even with the plantar fascia tear would love to bring Goran back if he’d consider. I’d be willing to ship out Rubio and Oubre to make all that happen.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I get that. I’d be up for moving Rubio if we’re bringing in FVV. Ibaka and Wood are definitely much better than Meyers Leonard, just going to cost a lot more as well. I guess you could make some sort of Rubio/Oubre for FVV/Ibaka S&T

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I woild actually like to see this group of kids and Rubio with a high quality addition. FVV is exactly that and if by pure cap space you were getting haim, I say don't trade Rubio for one more season at least (unless the deal was too good refuse, of course, but thqt's hardly hqppening).

Still need an upgrade at PF, though, and the backup bigs are leaving as well. Do we want to commit to Oubre-Cam at PF full time? Are we going to even be able to do so (Oubre knee)? Roster balance would have me very worried.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I'm with you guys. Paying $40M+ to have FVV and Rubio on the same team is not great resource allocation.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:30 pm
I'm with you guys. Paying $40M+ to have FVV and Rubio on the same team is not great resource allocation.
What's a better allocation of resources? I'm curious about this.

Felt to me, but probably not everyone, that the backup PG and SG were the two biggest holes last yr.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nobody is interested in bringing Baynes back?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:27 pm
I woild actually like to see this group of kids and Rubio with a high quality addition. FVV is exactly that and if by pure cap space you were getting haim, I say don't trade Rubio for one more season at least (unless the deal was too good refuse, of course, but thqt's hardly hqppening).

Still need an upgrade at PF, though, and the backup bigs are leaving as well. Do we want to commit to Oubre-Cam at PF full time? Are we going to even be able to do so (Oubre knee)? Roster balance would have me very worried.
I’m pretty on board with having Oubre/Johnson man the 4. That doesn’t mean I’d say no to an upgrade, just that I think they can handle it. Someone who can backup Ayton and play alongside him, if need be, would be nice. I agree with In2 that a reliable ball handler off the bench was by far our biggest weakness. Keeping Rubio helps in that regard.

Now if there is some scenario where we end up with FVV and Christian Wood, while keeping Booker/Bridges/Johnson/Ayton, then sign me up.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:10 pm
Nobody is interested in bringing Baynes back?
I liked Baynes. I have no problem with him, but any scenario that involves bringing him back probably means no cap space, just the MLE. If we want to make a bigger splash, he’s gotta go.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:14 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:27 pm

I’m pretty on board with having Oubre/Johnson man the 4. That doesn’t mean I’d say no to an upgrade, just that I think they can handle it. Someone who can backup Ayton and play alongside him, if need be, would be nice. I agree with In2 that a reliable ball handler off the bench was by far our biggest weakness. Keeping Rubio helps in that regard.

Now if there is some scenario where we end up with FVV and Christian Wood, while keeping Booker/Bridges/Johnson/Ayton, then sign me up.
I think there is, and it may include keeping Rubio too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Interesting

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:44 pm

Interesting
I just hope that this coach isn't the one that was working on Mikal, Markelle, and Ben's shot after/before they were drafted(right before in Mikal's situation in Philly).

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:58 pm
Shabazz wrote:

Felt to me, but probably not everyone, that the backup PG and SG were the two biggest holes last yr.
If we land FVV, the idea would be replacing Rubio with 2 of Alec Burks/DJ Augustin/Draft pick (Hali, Lewis, Hayes, Bane, etc), and then putting the extra money towards frontcourt depth.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:40 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:58 pm
Shabazz wrote:

If we land FVV, the idea would be replacing Rubio with 2 of Alec Burks/DJ Augustin/Draft pick (Hali, Lewis, Hayes, Bane, etc), and then putting the extra money towards frontcourt depth.
True, but it does weaken your backcourt by doing that. May be slightly better than last yr, but definitely worse than having Rubio, Booker & FVV.