NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by ShelC »

Definitely a James Jones type of player. Wingspan is a concern if the 6-4ish length I've been seeing online is accurate. But looks like a sturdy 6-5, 6-6...wish he were a bit taller but seems to have gotten better each year, strong rebounding numbers for a guard and I like his nearly 4 assists as a senior.

If he's our guy, we'll at least have the Batman memes and gifs.

Interesting the Suns have talked to him but haven't spoken to some of the higher ranked prospects yet.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

He certainly looks like he knows his way around the gym.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:25 pm
Definitely a James Jones type of player. Wingspan is a concern if the 6-4ish length I've been seeing online is accurate. But looks like a sturdy 6-5, 6-6...wish he were a bit taller but seems to have gotten better each year, strong rebounding numbers for a guard and I like his nearly 4 assists as a senior.

If he's our guy, we'll at least have the Batman memes and gifs.

Interesting the Suns have talked to him but haven't spoken to some of the higher ranked prospects yet.
I've been following who they have and haven't spoken with. It looks like they've spoken with everyone other than Killian Hayes and Lamelo.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:59 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:04 pm
Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 am
Yep, if we can snag an on ball scoring threat for the bench who can double as our long term plan at pg, sign me up. I haven’t bumped him ahead of Haliburton, Hayes, or Nesmith yet, but 2 of those guys probably won’t be there, and he’s neck and neck with Nesmith for me at 10.
Nesmith, although he provides size and shooting, is a terrible creator and passer. Like worse than Oubre, imo. He's pretty far down the list for me. He doesn't move the ball without turning it over.
He doesn't move the ball without turning it over? I think that is a conclusion based on a false correlation. He averaged 1.7 turnovers a game. That is outstanding for someone who averages 20+ ppg. He has poor assists numbers, but that doesn't mean he can't move the ball without turning it over. It just means he isn't skilled at finding guys in scoring position.

That doesn't outweigh his measurables and shooting. You call him a terrible creator; I'm not sure if that is a reference to his passing or his scoring. He isn't looking to dribble a ton to score on his man, but that is one of the reasons why I like him. He pretty much is a .5 scorer; he is going to catch and shoot, drive, or take a dribble or two and execute a step-back.
He may score right away, kind of like TJ Warren, but he commits nearly 2 turnovers for every assist he collects. You should admit that makes my description of him pretty on point.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:46 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:26 pm
You sure you don't want to trade up for Toppin? Hali I know it's a no.
Toppin is probably at the top of my draft board. I really like him. But I just can't bring myself to be enthusiastic about giving up a lot to move up in this draft. I just don't think the value is there. I would entertain moving Rubio + #10 to the Warriors for #2, but nothing more than that.
I don't see it for the Warriors (if I were them I'd be more interested in a healthy Oubre), but if they take it you have to consider because you are getting a talent and relevant cap space. Still, for PHX this creates a hole again at PG. Unless you get FVV or another bonafide starter, we'd be in big trouble. Rubio is a catalyst, though, and we have a lot of youth (with even more to come, probably) that benefit a lot from him

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In-depth article on Bane. Might evolve into a stretch 4 ala Tucker and would give us depth on the wing should Oubre not be in the longterm plans.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:10 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Toppin is probably at the top of my draft board. I really like him. But I just can't bring myself to be enthusiastic about giving up a lot to move up in this draft. I just don't think the value is there. I would entertain moving Rubio + #10 to the Warriors for #2, but nothing more than that.
I don't see it for the Warriors (if I were them I'd be more interested in a healthy Oubre), but if they take it you have to consider because you are getting a talent and relevant cap space. Still, for PHX this creates a hole again at PG. Unless you get FVV or another bonafide starter, we'd be in big trouble. Rubio is a catalyst, though, and we have a lot of youth (with even more to come, probably) that benefit a lot from him
Yeah, through back channels, you would have to be sure that FVV or some other bonafide starter would be signing here.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OTOH, how are we going to deal with Bane vs Baynes. ;) Could get confusing (big assumption that Baynes is still here.)
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:24 pm
In-depth article on Bane. Might evolve into a stretch 4 ala Tucker and would give us depth on the wing should Oubre not be in the longterm plans.

I think PJ's wingspan is 7 ft. Bane's is 8 inches shorter. That's pretty significant when trying to play bigger.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:43 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:10 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Yeah, through back channels, you would have to be sure that FVV or some other bonafide starter would be signing here.
Problem is said channels are not available when this deal would need to be done as at draft night, you can't count on anything from free agents.

It could be possible to make a second trade on draft night using the TPE we'd get for Rubio. Some of the PGs who could be a target are Schroeder, Patty Mills, Smart, Beverly, Cory Joseph, George Hill, Satoransky, Delon Wright; obviously the value needed varies greatly, from probably nothing (Joseph, Sato) to something really premium (Smart). Patty Mills would be a pretty interesting option in this scenario.

Mills-Booker-Bridges-Toppin-Ayton, plus Payne-Carter-Oubre-Cam. We'd need a backup PF/C, but in this case when the next cap year comes, we could operate as an over the cap team and keep the rights to Saric and Baynes to see if it's doable to bring one of them back (or use them in a sigh and trade).

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Why would the Warriors take Rubio?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:48 pm
ShelC wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:24 pm

I think PJ's wingspan is 7 ft. Bane's is 8 inches shorter. That's pretty significant when trying to play bigger.
His wingspan is a concern regardless. Even as a 2/3 it's less than ideal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If Bane is our guy, 10 for 18 and 31 is a good deal. Lots of good players should still be there at 31

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thing is, with Bane putting all this out there about the Suns showing interest and having a good talk with Jones and everything else, does he end up on the radar of some other team? Does another team draft him and then try and trade him to us? Just don't want us putting all our cards on the table with this guy, trading back and then getting screwed.

And also, do we really want to help the Mavs move up in the draft?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Honestly I’m not sure he’s our guy. It does seem that way, but Jones does seem to keep things pretty tight. No one saw the Cam Johnson pick coming. Might be a misdirect, although a lot of the interest info is coming from Bane himself, so it does seem pretty legit.

As for helping Dallas move up, I’m not too worried about that. They may be helping us more by giving us two shots at cost controlled cheap contributor.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:26 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 pm
Ya that’s not a surprise at all. I’d be disappointed if we took him at 10 because that’s too high, but I think he’s a good player and can help us for sure. Just need to trade back if he’s our guy.
Same story, different year?
Exactly. And I like Desmond Bane more than Cam Johnson.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:17 am
Why would the Warriors take Rubio?
Ahead of a possible return to championship contention, the Warriors have a few minor holes that need addressing and perhaps the biggest is finding a secondary ball-handler and backup point guard to Stephen Curry.

As it stands, Golden State has Jordan Poole and Ky Bowman on the roster to back up Curry, but that will likely change. Leaving two players who have limited NBA experience to share the backup role is a risky move the Warriors should look to avoid.

Despite the shortened season, both Bowman and Poole failed to establish themselves as a clear cut No.2 option. That leaves the question as to whether Steve Kerr will trust either with the role on a championship team.

After a promising start to the season, Bowman’s production dipped significantly, and eventually lost his starting role to Poole, prior to the March shutdown.

Although Poole showed significant improvement as a facilitator in 2020, he has more of a build of a shooting guard and may still feature prominently there. Plus with limited experience at the NBA level at the position, the Warriors will likely seek a more experienced option.

Therefore it wouldn’t be shocking to see Golden State pursue a ball-handler with either the trade exception or the second overall pick in the 2020 draft.

Golden State could find significant value with the trade exception and an immediate difference-maker to bolster their championship hopes.

Dennis Schroder, Ricky Rubio, Eric Bledsoe, and Tomas Satoransky could be all be acquired with the trade exception and would make suitable replacements in the event of an injury to the two-time MVP.
https://bluemanhoop.com/2020/10/01/gold ... ry-backup/
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If you thought our scouting was bad before, just wait until you see the Suns FO try to figure out whom to draft entirely using Zoom and YouTube clips!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:32 am
If you thought our scouting was bad before, just wait until you see the Suns FO try to figure out whom to draft entirely using Zoom and YouTube clips!
LOL, don't give them ideas....Err too late.