NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by Split T »

That title makes up for failing in 2011 to me.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:32 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:43 pm
AD vs Pippen is a difficult comparison. Pippen was a shot maker, creator, and lead defensive player against other scorers all the while being well coached, on an established team. I would compare AD’s hypothetical sans Lebron success to that of KG when he was with the TWolves at best.
I just as well wouldn’t compare Lebron to MJ, either. Their games are so far apart from one another. Lebron’s game is a hybrid of Pippen, Magic, and Malone - neither of whom I would say dominated the league the way Lebron has. I can’t imagine however any team Lebron has played on would have ever defeated MJ’s Bulls in the 90s.
I think the Miami teams would have prevailed. That is the best overall team (and coaching) Lebron has been on. I agree that it is unlikely the Cleveland team (and no way this Lakers team) would have won. The Bulls had a much better roster (sans MJ) than either of those teams sans Lebron.
What a series that would be, The Heatles vs Bulls. I think the Heat would def have a good shot, definitely a 7 game series. It would for sure come down to defense and who can close it out late in the 4th. And I think we know who is most capable in the clutch.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 am
BookTheGoat wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:47 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:31 pm
LeBron combining with Davis should diminish his legacy rather than increase it. The greats from the past didn't create super teams.
Since when is a duo a super team?
When they are the two best players in the NBA.

This feels like a bit of revisionist history. Nobody would have called them the two best players in the league before they won.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They finished 2nd and 6th in mvp voting

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 pm
Superbone wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:
Superbone wrote:
LeBron combining with Davis should diminish his legacy rather than increase it. The greats from the past didn't create super teams.

This feels like a bit of revisionist history. Nobody would have called them the two best players in the league before they won.
Are you joking? They called them that when they first joined forces.
"Be Legendary."

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:47 pm
BookTheGoat wrote:
Superbone wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Who is they? Why were most people picking the clippers and bucks to win then?

“They” were also trying to hand the crown off to Kawhi already too. Idk how many times I heard he was the best followed by Giannis.

I do think LeBron is still the best player in the league and AD is fringe top 5.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:47 pm
BookTheGoat wrote:
Superbone wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:
Superbone wrote:

Who is they? I’m sure people with the Lakers might have, but no one outside the Lakers was saying that. I think Giannis, Lebron, Kawhi were pretty universally seen at the top.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Who do y'all think is better than AD? I think he was clearly top 3 this year.

Great 2-way players
Lebron
(Durant)
Giannis
AD

To me, everyone else has less of an impact on one end of the court or another. Kawhi might belong up there, but he's just not the creator those other guys are, IMO. Harden, Curry, Luka, etc only play one end of the court.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:22 am

Great 2-way players
Lebron
(Durant)
Giannis
AD

To me, everyone else has less of an impact on one end of the court or another. Kawhi might belong up there, but he's just not the creator those other guys are, IMO. Harden, Curry, Luka, etc only play one end of the court.
AD also isn’t a creator. I think you could put him ahead of Kawhi, but I’d take Lebron and Giannis for sure over AD. I’d take Luka as well. I’d also consider Lillard, Curry, and Durant.

Some of those guys don’t have near the impact defensively as AD, but an elite level on ball creator is the most important thing you can have. We saw what AD did without a good creator his years in NO.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it'd be a nearly consensus opinion that Lebron and AD were both top-5 players in the league. Somewhere in there you have Giannis and Kawhi, maybe a Harden, Curry (injured), Durant (injured), etc. I think most people would have put Giannis ahead of Davis and maybe even Kawhi ahead of Davis due to his title. So you'd have Lebron as #1 or #2 (behind Giannis) and Davis as maybe #4-5 in the league. Pretty potent combo. But I don't think many would have said they were #1-2 respectively in the league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:12 am
O_Gardino wrote:

Great 2-way players
Lebron
(Durant)
Giannis
AD

AD also isn’t a creator. I think you could put him ahead of Kawhi, but I’d take Lebron and Giannis for sure over AD. I’d take Luka as well. I’d also consider Lillard, Curry, and Durant.

Some of those guys don’t have near the impact defensively as AD, but an elite level on ball creator is the most important thing you can have. We saw what AD did without a good creator his years in NO.
We also saw what Lebron did in LA last year with a similar roster.

I understand and agree with your point about the value of an on ball guy. AD can create for himself pretty well, and he's an ok but not great creator for others. I just think the difference on the defensive end is substantial.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:30 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:12 am
O_Gardino wrote:

Great 2-way players
Lebron
(Durant)
Giannis
AD

We also saw what Lebron did in LA last year with a similar roster.

I understand and agree with your point about the value of an on ball guy. AD can create for himself pretty well, and he's an ok but not great creator for others. I just think the difference on the defensive end is substantial.
HUGE difference before and after AD. Like can't even make the playoffs verus NBA champions.
"Be Legendary."

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

....because LeBron had the first injury of his career lol and rushed back and was clearly not himself.

Indy

Post by Indy »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:25 am
....because LeBron had the first injury of his career lol and rushed back and was clearly not himself.
this

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:27 pm
BookTheGoat wrote:
this
Hey, if you guys want to make excuses for powder puff LeBron, be my guest.
"Be Legendary."

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:08 pm
Indy wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:
this
If you’re gonna play the Skip role it’s only right I fill in for Shannon lol

Indy

Post by Indy »

powder puff? You can count on 1 finger the number of seasons he missed more than 10 games. They guy is always playing, even when hurt/injured.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:14 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:08 pm
Indy wrote:
BookTheGoat wrote:
this
If you’re gonna play the Skip role it’s only right I fill in for Shannon lol
LOL. Got me! :D
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Lakers were in the 5 seed when Lebron got hurt. He was going to drag that Laker team to the playoffs.