Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T »

I guess Gallo is signing a MLE deal on a contender. Lakers? Bucks? Heat?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Every FA is going to be rumored to be going to the Heat now. They have lots of cap space and a very appealing organization.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Do they have that cap space this offseason? I was thinking it comes next year, when Giannis is a FA. I don’t actually think Miami will give out any big contracts, nothing to put their chances at Giannis in jeopardy. I think they’ll resign Dragic to a big 1 year deal, maybe Crowder too, then go add 1 more piece with the MLE. Can you do a 1 year MLE deal?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/MIA.html

This year Dragic, Crowder, Leonard, and Hill (~$52) come off the books.

Next year Olynyk and Iguadala (~$27) come off the books, but Abedayo, Robinson, and Nunn will all be up for new deals.

I think you are right. If they want a shot at Giannis, they have to preserve the cap space they create this season. They also nee to find a replacement for Dragic soon.

Butler, Giannis, Bam, Herro, Robinson, and a PG is a killer lineup. But man would it be expensive.

And FVV would be a perfect fit in that lineup.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I do worry about the spacing in a Butler/Giannis/Adebayo lineup. None of them are even average 3pt shooters. Perhaps Bam adds it to his game, but it would be interesting watching them operate offensively. Herro and Robinson are both top notch shooters though, so that helps.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 am
I do worry about the spacing in a Butler/Giannis/Adebayo lineup. None of them are even average 3pt shooters. Perhaps Bam adds it to his game, but it would be interesting watching them operate offensively. Herro and Robinson are both top notch shooters though, so that helps.
That team would be talented enough that they'd figure it out.

But I don't think Giannis is eager to leave Milwaukee. He seems to like it there and wants to be a 1-team guy as of right now. A lot can change in one year, but I bet he re-signs with the Bucks.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:18 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:32 am
That team would be talented enough that they'd figure it out.

But I don't think Giannis is eager to leave Milwaukee. He seems to like it there and wants to be a 1-team guy as of right now. A lot can change in one year, but I bet he re-signs with the Bucks.
Ya I agree, they’d be very good. Spoelstra is a great coach, they’d figure it out. I do hope Milwaukee can put the right team around Giannis. I would like him to stay, unless he’s coming to PHX, but if they just run it back again and flame out in the playoffs next year, I’d support Giannis leaving.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

The rockets might look very different next year...be interesting what the new front office decides to do with that roster.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow, interesting about Morey. Wonder what the story is there. Will he move on to GM for a different team? Or switch into a more media-focused role?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It will be super interesting what happens in Houston this off-season. There has been a lot of speculation that Tillman was hemorrhaging money due to the lockdowns. He may be looking to sell off his high priced players.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I wonder if Detroit or someone will come along and just take Westbrook off their hands for picks.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Some insight into the GLeague next season, which may not happen at all. Maybe Sarver was ahead of the curve this time, so to speak
According to industry sources, there have been discussions of various scenarios for a G-League campaign, including not holding one at all and expanding NBA rosters instead.
https://nypost.com/2020/10/13/the-nba-g ... -jeopardy/

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Do we have evidence that Ty Lue is a good coach? I know he has some experience, but has he accomplished more than replacement-level performance in the situations he's been put in?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:20 am
Wow, interesting about Morey. Wonder what the story is there. Will he move on to GM for a different team? Or switch into a more media-focused role?
Morey went above board in his criticism of China. The team whimpered out of the playoffs again and D'Antoni is no longer there. The writing has been on the wall for a while now.

The Rockets are on the verge of a Sarver situation. Lucky for them they still have a top 5 player in his prime, but who knows what Harden will try to do if the Rockets aren't contending and the next GM and coach don't let him play like Morey/D'Antoni did.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:25 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:20 am
Morey went above board in his criticism of China. The team whimpered out of the playoffs again and D'Antoni is no longer there. The writing has been on the wall for a while now.

The Rockets are on the verge of a Sarver situation. Lucky for them they still have a top 5 player in his prime, but who knows what Harden will try to do if the Rockets aren't contending and the next GM and coach don't let him play like Morey/D'Antoni did.
Definitely could see a bit of a fire sale go on.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

They only have like 5 players, so it would be a pretty quick fire sale.