Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Mori Chu »

If you want a good laugh, ask any Republican exactly what "Sharia Law" is. Like, specifically. What policies, rules, restrictions, etc. constitute "Sharia Law"? You'll get a yummy bowl of word salad as your answer. Bonus points: Ask them in what way the Democrats have indicated that they like Sharia Law and are trying to enact it in America.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The New England Journal of Medicine calls for Trump to be voted out.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2029812
Anyone else who recklessly squandered lives and money in this way would be suffering legal consequences. Our leaders have largely claimed immunity for their actions. But this election gives us the power to render judgment. Reasonable people will certainly disagree about the many political positions taken by candidates. But truth is neither liberal nor conservative. When it comes to the response to the largest public health crisis of our time, our current political leaders have demonstrated that they are dangerously incompetent. We should not abet them and enable the deaths of thousands more Americans by allowing them to keep their jobs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He needs to be not only voted out but also prosecuted once he's out of office.

By the way, Pence is announcing the cancellation of his planned events in Indiana for the next couple of days. Why? Health-related? (Does he have COVID?) An upcoming urgent White House event, such as a military action? Will be interesting to watch.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This was fun:

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just played two weddings in a row with my main band who hasn’t played since March 9. I was very excited to play a gig with them again. Everyone in the audience wore masks during the ceremony on Saturday. Then I played solo guitar for their cocktail hour. They all wore masks at first. By the time the hour was over nobody had a mask on. Then they all went inside for dinner and dancing. We were told to make an announcement that everyone needs to wear their masks. Nobody did all night. Sundays wedding in Sedona? Nobody wore a mask from the get go to the end except the band and the help. I feel like I attended two super spreader events in a row.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 am
I just played two weddings in a row with my main band who hasn’t played since March 9. I was very excited to play a gig with them again. Everyone in the audience wore masks during the ceremony on Saturday. Then I played solo guitar for their cocktail hour. They all wore masks at first. By the time the hour was over nobody had a mask on. Then they all went inside for dinner and dancing. We were told to make an announcement that everyone needs to wear their masks. Nobody did all night. Sundays wedding in Sedona? Nobody wore a mask from the get go to the end except the band and the help. I feel like I attended two super spreader events in a row.
good luck Nodack. I hope there was enough ventilation around you to keep you safe.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Interesting animated graph showing how cases have related to state politics: https://dangoodspeed.com/covid/total-cases-since-june

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:51 pm
Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 am
good luck Nodack. I hope there was enough ventilation around you to keep you safe.
Yes, keep us posted. Kind of scary. You're protecting them but they're not protecting you.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In the past week or so I have done 6 gigs counting tonight’s wedding and nobody except the help is wearing masks. It is going to take off again. Nobody is taking it seriously. It was fun going back to work again for a little while. I fully expect another shut down in the next month as cases take off in AZ and around the country.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:35 pm
In the past week or so I have done 6 gigs counting tonight’s wedding and nobody except the help is wearing masks. It is going to take off again. Nobody is taking it seriously. It was fun going back to work again for a little while. I fully expect another shut down in the next month as cases take off in AZ and around the country.
The cases are surging again, around 70,000 new cases per day in the US. We've failed to contain the virus and now people are getting back to "normal" too quickly. The next several months are going to be rough.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Texas and FL are counting 4000 new cases every day. Neither will institute mask mandates or shut downs, so in 2-3 weeks that will be up to 8000 per day. 2021 is going to be a repeat of 2020 because people can't fucking wear a mask and stay away from each other.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Just stop the testing and the numbers will go down, geez.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I didn't truly get it at the time, but in retrospect, it is amazing to me how seminal of a moment it was for the history of America when SCOTUS awarded the presidency to Bush in Bush v. Gore in a 5-4 decision (despite indicating that Florida violated their own election laws that year). How different of a world would we live in today had they actually allowed every vote to count?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm
I didn't truly get it at the time, but in retrospect, it is amazing to me how seminal of a moment it was for the history of America when SCOTUS awarded the presidency to Bush in Bush v. Gore in a 5-4 decision (despite indicating that Florida violated their own election laws that year). How different of a world would we live in today had they actually allowed every vote to count?
I honestly didn’t realize that election came down to a Supreme Court decision. I was young, just barely in high school, and was only partially aware of what was going on. But it helps me to see how people can be so easily blinded by their political views. I grew up in a pretty conservative home/community and don’t remember hearing a single thing about Florida violating laws. I remember the hanging chad’s. Is that the same election? But my point is how it was framed to me was in a pro-bush spin. I’m always amazed today when I talk to very conservative people who seem to be oblivious to a lot of Trump’s shenanigans, but I have to remember they are only getting their info from Fox News and other conservative outlets and try and get them to look at the full picture.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

https://news.yahoo.com/yahoo-news-you-g ... 44323.html

Yahoo News/YouGov poll: The tide turns against Trump as Biden surges to his largest-ever lead among likely voters
Trump vented his frustration with the coronavirus on a campaign call Monday, saying, “People are tired of COVID. I have these huge rallies. People are saying, ‘Whatever. Just leave us alone.’ They’re tired of it. People are tired of hearing [Anthony] Fauci and all these idiots.”
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Unfortunately, it's not just Trump who's saying that. A lot of people are tired of corona and want it to just go away, except it's not something you can ignore. It's not going to be over just because we're tired of it. There's no arbitrary date - Easter, July 4th, Memorial Day, New Years - when it'll be over and things will start going back to normal and things will start opening back up. But that's also why it's important to have some adults in the room leading and listening to experts about this sort of thing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I firmly believe it could have been over if there had been overarching leadership across the country.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It wouldn't be "over" but it would be managed in a way that the daily lives of Americans would seem uninterrupted. If you don't count wearing a mask and not attending events with thousands of strangers an interruption. I suppose that's a big part of the issue for a lot of people.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

All he needed to do was tell Americans in March to wear a mask, social distance and stay home/get tested if they're sick and this would've been a lot less severe. We'd probably have had less deaths, less positive tests, less social angst and fighting/division. On the other hand, if Hillary/Obama/BIden were President at the time and told the country to do those things, I'm sure the right would push back just the same and we'd still have a good part of the country fighting against masks.