Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Superbone »

It's obvious to anyone who's paying attention. Ignore science at your peril.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

Pfizer's early data suggesting their vaccine is 90% effective (ongoing study that goes until December, I believe).

https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-vacci ... 22a2240ae8

"Pfizer opted not to join the Trump administration’s Operation Warp Speed, which helped fund a half-dozen vaccine makers. The company instead said it has invested billions of its own dollars."

"Pfizer has estimated it could have 50 million doses available globally by the end of 2020, enough for 25 million people."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I saw that. Pfizer wasn’t part of the Trump group and did it all on their own? I wonder why they weren’t in the group? They announce it a day after the election is called? That reminds me of the Iranians releasing our hostages right after Reagan was sworn in. I see an opportunity for Trump to be pissed. Were they just holding onto that news to see if Trump or Biden was elected or did they just not want to influence the election or was it just a coincidence?

I saw a Pfizer guy on the news getting interviewed. it comes in two doses. It also has to be kept at -94 F. No hospital or pharmacy has freezers that cold. They were talking about dry ice and Pfizer was also supposedly developing a way to transport and I think maybe store the vaccine too. Maybe just coolers with dry ice is my first guess.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... washington
Pfizer Vaccine’s Funding Came From Berlin, Not Washington

Berlin gave the German company $445 million in an agreement in September to help accelerate the vaccine by building out manufacturing and development capacity in its home market.

BioNTech is credited for contributing the messenger RNA technology, which prompts the body to make a key protein from the virus, creating an immune response. The biotechnology company already had a history of working with Pfizer on influenza vaccines, and in March they clinched a deal to co-develop a shot to prevent against Covid-19 at research sites both in the U.S. and Germany. The two companies began human testing of the vaccine in April, before the existence of Operation Warp Speed was revealed publicly.

The Trump administration agreed in July to pay almost $2 billion for 100 million doses, with an option to acquire as many as 500 million more, once that clearance comes.

As part of that agreement, the U.S. gets to decide who gets the vaccine first, and will work with the company on logistical support. While most vaccine front-runners that have been tapped by Warp Speed will distribute their doses through a government partnership with McKesson Corp., Pfizer is handling its own delivery of its products.
Consider Donald Trump and him as a business man, would you feel comfortable if he handled vaccine distribution either directly or by proxy?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:42 pm
It also has to be kept at -94 F. No hospital or pharmacy has freezers that cold.
Someone find a list of cold storage related companies on the NYSE. :lol:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Of course the Trump admin tried to take credit for the vaccine and Pfizer had to clarify they took no government money for the research. I wouldn't have trusted any vaccine or treatment from this admin and I'm sure Trump was trying to push for something ahead of the election that hadn't been tested properly. Maybe Pfizer did hold back until after the election, maybe not but the potential treatment does fall within the original timeline I had read of 12-18 months for development and testing. If they would've released this 2 weeks ago, Trump probably takes all the credit and gets re-elected. So maybe it's a means to an end.

Indy

Post by Indy »

To be fair, Pfizer took money from the US Government for a pre-buy of the vaccine. They didn't take money for research. So they are part of "Warp Speed" but not in any way that Trump tried to take credit for.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:42 am
Of course the Trump admin tried to take credit for the vaccine and Pfizer had to clarify they took no government money for the research. I wouldn't have trusted any vaccine or treatment from this admin and I'm sure Trump was trying to push for something ahead of the election that hadn't been tested properly. Maybe Pfizer did hold back until after the election, maybe not but the potential treatment does fall within the original timeline I had read of 12-18 months for development and testing. If they would've released this 2 weeks ago, Trump probably takes all the credit and gets re-elected. So maybe it's a means to an end.
They lose money every day they hold back. They had to put things on hold, and restart. CEOs are kept up to the minute when you get close to an outcome you know will be approved. It is not uncommon to be talking to them on a Saturday night or Sunday afternoon or whenever. So when the CEO says he found out at 2pm on Sunday, I believe him. The data analysis that has to take place for clinical trials is very intense, and when it is rushed there are usually lawsuits and extreme damages in court.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Well then I'll just take my tinfoil hat off and put it away then.
Last edited by ShelC on Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Oh there are plenty of shenanigans that go on to determine which people in a clinical trial weren't "good" candidates to begin with so they can be thrown out, but all in all, it is a pretty rigorous process.

But Pfizer has been producing this vaccine non-stop in Kalamazoo Michigan at their Global Operations Headquarters for a while now (I want to say 8 weeks) in hopes that the trials come out ok and they get a huge head start on making a billion vaccines (and that just covers the US).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Masks and contact tracing lead to an 82 percent decline in coronavirus cases: CDC study
In Delaware, public health orders in April and June were found to make a big difference in the spread of the virus.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... 82-percent

Half the country has been following this guidance. The other half has been intentionally flouting this guidance and spreading Covid as fast as they possibly can it seems.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:59 am
Masks and contact tracing lead to an 82 percent decline in coronavirus cases: CDC study
In Delaware, public health orders in April and June were found to make a big difference in the spread of the virus.
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... 82-percent

Half the country has been following this guidance. The other half has been intentionally flouting this guidance and spreading Covid as fast as they possibly can it seems.
And the group that has been following the guidance continues to dwindle. People see the other half infecting people left and right and deciding there is no point anymore, and getting tired of seeing no end in sight because half the population doesn't care about their neighbors.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Pretty sad.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:08 pm
Speaking of which, what happened to Jeremy?
Lol, I got very busy with life. But everyone just kept attacking me with personal insults and you expected me to stick around?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I went back dozens of pages looking for those personal insults and failed to see any.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
Lol, I got very busy with life. But everyone just kept attacking me with personal insults and you expected me to stick around?
I’m glad you’re all right.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
I'm glad to see you around. Hope all's well. I welcome you here and am happy to read your posts and opinions.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

States with least restrictions now have worst outbreaks: NYT
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... breaks-nyt

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Former Presidents Obama, Bush and Clinton volunteer to get coronavirus vaccine publicly to prove it's safe
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/politics ... index.html

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He works in a Covid-19 unit in a parking garage. Trump called it fake

As the coronavirus pandemic grows more dire across the US, Dr. Larry Keeperman treats patients in a Covid-19 unit run out of a parking garage in Nevada. After Keeperman tweeted a photo of the unit, President Donald Trump called it "fake" and echoed his false claims about the Nevada election results. Keeperman responds to Trump in an interview with CNN's Erin Burnett.