NBA Draft 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: NBA Draft 2020

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:35 am

He sure knows how to get people intrigued
His twitter feed is my guilty pleasure right now--I know I shouldn't really be paying attention to it, but I can't help myself

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

FLEX this, FLEX that... Did this guy just come out of the woodwork or what? Don't take this personally. I'm not shooting the messenger, Split. Let's see one more thing he's right about before I start thinking of this guy as a source. What is he, Sarver's nephew?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

deleted due to news already posted
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:10 am

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1329067467814154240

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2029&start=1080#p182770
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think he’s playing up what he knows for attention/followers, but he seems somewhat legit. People connected to the team now and in the past have vouched for him(Espo, Jon Bloom) I don’t know his source, but he seems to have someone. How reliable they are is another story.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Apparently the Knicks are targeting #5 with their #8 and 23:

https://twitter.com/JCMacriNBA/status/1329111445330653185

jonh

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:12 am
I think he’s playing up what he knows for attention/followers, but he seems somewhat legit. People connected to the team now and in the past have vouched for him(Espo, Jon Bloom) I don’t know his source, but he seems to have someone. How reliable they are is another story.
I've seen enough to believe that his current source is fairly credible. I just think he would make a much better pr/hype man than a woj bomber.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:12 am
I've seen enough to believe that his current source is fairly credible. I just think he would make a much better pr/hype man than a woj bomber.
this

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Ok, I'll delete xD

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Agree w/ Bone. Even if Edwards falls, just leave it.

Cam wasn't among the rated last year. In part, the model penalizes guys who play 4 years. But, Bey is probably a decent comp for Cam. Solid pick. Never is going to be an all star, but 3&D will keep you in the league for a long time.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:05 am
Great, Flex from Jersey is officially turning into one of those vague tweeters who claim to have inside info but never give enough details to be accountable.

As for the draft, are we destined to draft the most James Jones-like player in every draft from now on? I keep reading about SF/PFs linked to us who have good 3-point shooting and defense. Hmm, who does that sound like?
His mansplaining is annoying. Stay calm guys! Understand this guys! Be positive guys! Stay tuned guys!

No. EAD Flex.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 am
Here's the weird thing... I don't really like the players in front of Vassell and Bey that much, except Halliburton.

Toppin, Edwards, Okongwu, Okoro, Ball, Avdija, Williams all have big red flags for me.

Williams is a possibility, but his lack of 3-point shooting is probably a killer for his utility in this system with these players.

Hayes is kind of... meh. He doesn't really have an elite skill, and you need several in a good PG. Don't think this is who Flex is talking about.

Wiseman is redundant with Ayton.

Which leaves Halliburton as the one guy I would want from the players who consistently supposed to be gone before the Suns draft. I always liked his combinations of speed, shooting, size, and passing as a modern PG. High bball IQ. Stuck me as a very James Jones kind of guy. Scouts say he's best playing off a high volume scorer (Booker). I think he'd be a great fit.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wondering who would drop who's projected to be taken by 10...I know the Knicks were supposedly linked to Vassell and Okoro at 10 so if they move up to #5 for Toppin then either guy could drop and Vassell might be our guy.

Think he also said we may trade back for a vet and a later pick...one of the Suns guys on Twitter thought Josh Hart and 13 or Pj Tucker and 16?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:47 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:22 am
Here's the weird thing... I don't really like the players in front of Vassell and Bey that much, except Halliburton.

Toppin, Edwards, Okongwu, Okoro, Ball, Avdija, Williams all have big red flags for me.

Williams is a possibility, but his lack of 3-point shooting is probably a killer for his utility in this system with these players.

Hayes is kind of... meh. He doesn't really have an elite skill, and you need several in a good PG. Don't think this is who Flex is talking about.

Wiseman is redundant with Ayton.

Which leaves Halliburton as the one guy I would want from the players who consistently supposed to be gone before the Suns draft. I always liked his combinations of speed, shooting, size, and passing as a modern PG. High bball IQ. Stuck me as a very James Jones kind of guy. Scouts say he's best playing off a high volume scorer (Booker). I think he'd be a great fit.
Think it’s either Toppin or Haliburton that he’s talking about. Both represented by CAA(Booker/CP3 representation) and both make sense that James Jones would like them. Productive, mature, can shoot, dribble, pass. I’d get behind either if they drop. Haliburton especially is my dream scenario. Toppin has some concerns, but the offensive game would be very intriguing.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:48 am
Wondering who would drop who's projected to be taken by 10...I know the Knicks were supposedly linked to Vassell and Okoro at 10 so if they move up to #5 for Toppin then either guy could drop and Vassell might be our guy.

Think he also said we may trade back for a vet and a later pick...one of the Suns guys on Twitter thought Josh Hart and 13 or Pj Tucker and 16?
I don’t see how anyone passes on Vassel. I wouldn’t want Edwards on my squad- seems like a selfish, celebrity chasing, exceptionally talented player with limited intrinsic team winning motivation.

Split T

Post by Split T »

No real new info. But it does seem like a trade back is likely if whoever we want doesn’t fall.

jonh

Post by jonh »

I don’t see how anyone passes on Vassel. I wouldn’t want Edwards on my squad- seems like a selfish, celebrity chasing, exceptionally talented player with limited intrinsic team winning motivation.
Im just going to leave this here.

"Definitely getting to my second contract; that's my success," Ayton said at media availability for top lottery picks.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/238 ... econd-deal

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Split T: I think you're right. It's either Toppin or Halliburton. Of the two, I'd much rather have Halliburton.

Toppin doesn't rebound like a star PF. He's good, but not elite, 3 point shooter. His defense is the stuff of nightmares for his own coach and teammates. Chris Paul will flat out murder him at center court for being dumb, slow, and lazy on defense. I'd rather have Saric, and that's saying VERY little of Toppin. He's already 22, so there less upside to him than Bey, Vassell, and Halliburton.

In Toppin's defense, he's an elite athlete who shoots well. Great in transition. Fluid from he waist up. Good passer and handles for a PF. Ok shot blocker, but should be better given his length and hops.

Edit: Oddly, one of the comps I am seeing is Amare Stoudemire.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

jonh wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Im just going to leave this here.

"Definitely getting to my second contract; that's my success," Ayton said at media availability for top lottery picks.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/238 ... econd-deal
Good point! And Ayton is the biggest reason we didn’t make the playoffs last year. Edwards has more red flags than Ayton.
I say this although I root like hell for him. Edwards has said a number of dumbass stuff.