Who is Jalen Smith?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Who is Jalen Smith?

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:02 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:41 pm
You know who is a good comp for Jalen Smith (and his upside)? Christian Wood.
Good point.

It frustrates me to listen to and read opinions from people who were big on going after Christian Wood yet quickly pan the Jalen Smith pick.
Jalen Smith isn't Christian Wood. I don't think the pick should be panned, but I think it is a little premature to equate the acquisition to getting Christian Wood. Wood is more of a scorer and a more fluid athlete. You can iso Wood and have him score on his man with dribble drives, spin moves, or scoring in the post. Smith doesn't have that ability. Smith is a catch and shoot or catch and finish guy. Much more limited.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:40 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Good point.

It frustrates me to listen to and read opinions from people who were big on going after Christian Wood yet quickly pan the Jalen Smith pick.
Jalen Smith isn't Christian Wood. I don't think the pick should be panned, but I think it is a little premature to equate the acquisition to getting Christian Wood. Wood is more of a scorer and a more fluid athlete. You can iso Wood and have him score on his man with dribble drives, spin moves, or scoring in the post. Smith doesn't have that ability. Smith is a catch and shoot or catch and finish guy. Much more limited.
Smith is not at his end product. We shall see.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Woods would have made sense for this team even with Smith. You get a 4/5 and a 5/4. Plus Ayton and Cam, that's a terrific frontcourt.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:40 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Good point.

I agree with most of this, but I've seen Smith put the ball on the ground and take a guy off the dribble w/ spins and scoring in the post. It might be more limited though. I think you could compare him a bit to JJJ, but is more disciplined in his fouling and a better rebounder, but not quite as long.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

JJJ has shown more off the bounce game as well. I know his defense hasn’t been as advertised, but I’d guess he’s better on the perimeter than Jalen

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:04 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 am
My player comp for him is Otis Thorpe as his ceiling, floor is rich man’s Bo Outlaw.
Thurl Bailey?
I was thinking the same thing. Mostly due to the glasses :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Danimal wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:22 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:04 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 am
My player comp for him is Otis Thorpe as his ceiling, floor is rich man’s Bo Outlaw.
Thurl Bailey?
I was thinking the same thing. Mostly due to the glasses :)
That sure didn't hurt the comp, did it?
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I really like the way Smith moves on both ends of the floor.

On offence he floats between the basket and 3pt line always watching the play to see where his best spot is.

On defense he seems to have a knack for moving/switching to where the ball is headed.

You can see a little of that stuff here topped off with some ice cold free throw shooting.

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

He's got a nice, compact shooting stroke that should translate well to the pros.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

He's got a lot going for him. I'm going to keep posting videos and positives. He will help the team, and I do look forward to seeing him on the court with Ayton.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea he snaps the ball out, doesn't have a long or slow "windup" like some bigs who have learned to shoot from deep. He shoots like a guard, instinctively and confidently.

Indy

Post by Indy »

that last highlight where he leaves his guy up top beyond the 3 point line to come help out on the post up and still makes the block... that was nice to see.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Didn't see it in this thread but heard on The Solar Panel last night - Stix; the reincarnation and amalgamation of Stat and the Matrix...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:24 pm
Didn't see it in this thread but heard on The Solar Panel last night - Stix; the reincarnation and amalgamation of Stat and the Matrix...
That's a bit much, but I do like his game. I worry that there won't be much of a role for him on the team this coming year. But maybe it's okay to bring a rookie along slowly as he learns the pro game.

I think I was more excited about Smith when I envisioned him as a 4 alongside Ayton. But it sounds like he's more of a 5 who would play as Ayton's backup, if anything. That is less appealing to me because it feels like he has a low ceiling of being a 12-15 minute per game bench guy who spells Ayton during rests and foul trouble. I guess if we decide Ayton isn't going to be a star and need to trade him, Smith would be good insurance. But I don't want things to turn out like that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think he'll see 20-25mpg as a 4/5 next to Ayton, Saric and Crowder. There's always a chance he gets outplayed by Damian Jones but I think with his defense and 3pt shooting, he should find some time early on.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:19 pm
3rdside wrote:
That's a bit much, but I do like his game. I worry that there won't be much of a role for him on the team this coming year. But maybe it's okay to bring a rookie along slowly as he learns the pro game.

I think I was more excited about Smith when I envisioned him as a 4 alongside Ayton. But it sounds like he's more of a 5 who would play as Ayton's backup, if anything. That is less appealing to me because it feels like he has a low ceiling of being a 12-15 minute per game bench guy who spells Ayton during rests and foul trouble. I guess if we decide Ayton isn't going to be a star and need to trade him, Smith would be good insurance. But I don't want things to turn out like that.
Can they help him with loosening his hips as much as Cam Johnson? Will make or break him at the 4.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Yeah I don’t think they were implying the reincarnation of talent, Smith is far too stiff for that.

I like him as a squad guy / 7th man type thing and don’t think he’s got a high ceiling but that’s okay if it’s a squad guy we want.

I could also see Ayton as a 4 on defense alongside smith at 5.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

They must believe they he can play the 4. We will see when the season starts, but I am 100% certain he will see some time next to Ayton.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:19 pm
3rdside wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into that. It's just an amalgamation of their names/nicknames:
STAT TRIX
STA RIX
ST IX
STIX
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

His positioning is flawless. He's got a lot to teach Ayton. Smith is also going to dunk the ball when he's near the hoop.
"Be Legendary."