Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by In2ition »

I love the patty melt from whataburger.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

3rdside wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:02 am
For sure I'll get there at some point.. I'm moving back home to Australia next month / ditching the trash London weather so Asia is now my go to region.

Do they speak English in Seoul / Busan? That's been the biggest issue I've had here in Seville..that and the food (it's great Spanish food but sometimes you just want something easy to buy like a decent Burrito or even a naked burrito for something a bit more healthy; the easy / healthy fast food options here are practically non-existent).
English is becoming more common by the day. I'd say that a majority of people under 30 have a basic grasp of the language, but many of them aren't comfortable using it. In my experience, Korea is far ahead of Japan in terms of English ability. I think Koreans in general have always had the mindset that they need to adapt to the rest of the world to succeed and not the other way around, which is more common in Japan, Spain, the US, and most other countries in the world.

I'd venture to say any kind of food can be found in Seoul at this point. Maybe the more obscure cuisines would be sub par, but that could be said for a lot of places. Busan has picked up quite a bit in the years I've been here. There's a great NY style pizza, several great burger spots, not-so-bad Spanish food, and a bunch of craft breweries. The only thing missing is good Mexican food, but my standards are high being a Phoenix native.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

It's frustrating as if a local can speak a bit of English we can communicate okay with my bit of Spanish .. but so many here don't speak a word of it (a consequence, in part, of the dictator Franco wanting to protect all things Spanish so movies and tv shows coming across from the US / UK way back in the day were dubbed, and not sub-titled, like they were in Portugal right next door where most people speak at least some English and many very good English .. and learning English in school has never been a thing here for the same reason).

And it's not massively changing in a hurry either from what I can tell, at least not in Seville which isn't a big international city like Barcelona or Madrid where far more English is spoken (and which also explains the lack of international food here).

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:10 am
Do they have good Seoul food there? :-)
No love from anyone on this one .. none from me either:

4/10 .. :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:25 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:10 am
Do they have good Seoul food there? :-)
No love from anyone on this one .. none from me either:

4/10 .. :)
generous.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Extremely ... I'm still kind of new around here :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:56 am
Extremely ... I'm still kind of new around here :)
:lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Star Trek Discover Season 3 has been excellent. The latest episode, Unification III, may be the best one yet.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I haven’t paid for the CBS pay for view. We have Direct TV and just recently I went to CBS on Demand and they gave us the first 7 episodes for free. I downloaded them and watched three of them so far. I have been a treky for a long time but, got burned out on over saturation of Star Trek shows they had going on and they all started sounding the same to me. “I think if we inverted the tackion beam we could generate a sub space frequency modulation which could regenerate the ions in the protoplasm generator and reactivate the shields.”

We are fans of Walking dead and were exited to see Sonequa in her role. Her playing a super smart half human raised as a Vulcan arrested for mutiny and sent to prison is a departure from normal, which is refreshing.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The band I'm in just played for an ALS benefit tonight and they video taped the whole thing. I thought it was cool so I posted the link. we play a few to start it off and then a few songs here and there throughout. It was for a good cause. The video starts a little after two minutes in. It's sort of like a tv show.

https://aesaz.co/ELP/BNPHX20/

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nice! Good band. Only missing one thing...trombone! :D
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Wasn’t in the budget this time. Sax got added last second. Pecking order Sax, Trumpet, Trombone.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:15 am
Wasn’t in the budget this time. Sax got added last second. Pecking order Sax, Trumpet, Trombone.
You’ve got your priorities messed up. To thin up top. You need some meat on them bones (no pun intended).
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I love it when we have all three.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:48 am
I love it when we have all three.
Yeah, that's the best. Then add bari sax for the ultimate horn section.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Re: TV Shows / Moviesn

Post by Nodack »

Anyone seen Ted Lasso? It’s on Apple TV. My wife and I didn’t expect much and fell in love with that show. The basic synopsis is some rich guy in England who owns a pro Soccer/Football team sleeps around on his wife and they break up. She gains control over the soccer team and secretly plots it’s demise to get back at her husband. She hires an American college football coach to coach the team that doesn’t even know the rules of the game in hopes that the team will lose a lot and piss off her husband. He’s the nicest guy on the planet. She pretends to care about the team but only she knows her true intentions.

Anyway, it was very enjoyable. I give it 4/5 stars.

‘Ve watched several appletv series and liked them. Waiting for season 2.
Last edited by Nodack on Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, I binged it pretty quickly. Loved it! It's popular worldwide too. They've already greenlighted season 2 AND 3.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Awesome!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

For Indy

It's official: Harrison Ford will return in a fifth 'Indiana Jones' movie
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/entertai ... index.html
Harrison Ford will be grabbing his whip and ramming on his hat for a fifth "Indiana Jones" movie, Disney has confirmed -- a mere 41 years after the first installment, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," was released.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:33 pm
For Indy

It's official: Harrison Ford will return in a fifth 'Indiana Jones' movie
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/entertai ... index.html
Harrison Ford will be grabbing his whip and ramming on his hat for a fifth "Indiana Jones" movie, Disney has confirmed -- a mere 41 years after the first installment, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," was released.
I still haven't seen Indy IV. I might see this, but who knows. Disney has been hit or miss, based primarily on who is leading the project. I haven't seen any details yet on who is running it all.