Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:56 pm

Jackson got the full room exception for 2 years.
That is nuts. I feel like he has just as much of a chance to be in prison as in the NBA in 2 years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

9% of the league tested positive for COVID last week.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:05 pm
9% of the league tested positive for COVID last week.

If it turns out Ayton is one of them and has to miss camp, I’m gonna be unhappy.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:07 pm
Split T wrote:

That is nuts. I feel like he has just as much of a chance to be in prison as in the NBA in 2 years.
Detroit's offseason has been completely head-scratching.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That is pretty shocking about 9% of the league having COVID. I hope it doesn't lead to any long-term ill effects for them this coming season. I am worried that we won't be able to keep things running without a bubble.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wonder if Harden is next...

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins got their wish of playing together. Well, we'll see how much actual playing they do.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:

Yeah, he needs to go to his room.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm
Apparently it is a 2023 protected 1stR.

Houston fans must be pulling their hair out. Not because losing Westbrook is a drama in 2020, but because of the way the new owner has destroyed a contender. So similar to Sarver when he bought the Suns.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ehhh were they really contenders to begin with? I don't love the Wall-Harden backcourt and it could be a precursor to another move because if Wall proves healthy you might be able to move him faster than Westbrook.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Houston Trades: James Harden, Eric Gordon
Chicago Trades: Zach LaVine, Otto Porter Jr.

I know it's a terrible basketball deal for Houston, but that's kind of the point. They don't have many options. At least something like this would free up (cut?) almost $30M off the Rockets '21-'22 roster payroll.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

If you’re interested in our new pg.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That John Wall contract extension still shocks me. I have to check to see if it really is that bad, then I find out it was even worse than I remembered. My brain can't handle a contract that bad.

He was injured for 2 years before that crazy extension kicked in. This dude has made 75 million since his last healthy season, and he has 120 million left on his contract. He's on track to make 200 million without making a meaningful contribution the the league.

I would love to see a John Wall rule in the next CBA where all nba contracts are only partially guaranteed.
- Bring back the inactive list.
- If you go on the inactive list, you have to sit out a minimum of 5 games.
- While a player is on the inactive list, the team can bring in another player to fill that roster spot.
- If I player spends more than 20 games on the inactive list, he only gets paid a % of his contract,
- If the contract is greater than room exception or lower, then the lowest the salary can go is the room exception for the year it was signed.
- Luxury tax is calculated on what teams actually pay.
- During the offseason, all players are assumed to be healthy for the next season, unless...
- If a player is placed on the inactive list during the offseason, he can only play a maximum of 20 games and his salary is reduced accordingly.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Under that system, Wall would make a minimum of about 11 million if he misses the whole season in 2020-2021.
He would make about 32 million if he is healthy enough to play 37 games.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya there’s no chance the players association would allow that to happen. Doesn’t insurance end up covering a lot of these players contracts that get hurt?

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

To be fair, Sarver ran with the team he inherited and messed it up bit-by-bit. It took him nearly a full decade to completely destroy it. In contrast, the Rockets have done it in a fraction of the time.

Note that both implosions started with running D'Antoni off -- although Gentry was able to right the ship for a few years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:28 pm
That is pretty shocking about 9% of the league having COVID. I hope it doesn't lead to any long-term ill effects for them this coming season. I am worried that we won't be able to keep things running without a bubble.
It is probably close to the current % of background COVID across the country for the entire untested population.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:20 am
That John Wall contract extension still shocks me. I have to check to see if it really is that bad, then I find out it was even worse than I remembered. My brain can't handle a contract that bad.

He was injured for 2 years before that crazy extension kicked in. This dude has made 75 million since his last healthy season, and he has 120 million left on his contract. He's on track to make 200 million without making a meaningful contribution the the league.

I would love to see a John Wall rule in the next CBA where all nba contracts are only partially guaranteed.
- Bring back the inactive list.
- If you go on the inactive list, you have to sit out a minimum of 5 games.
- While a player is on the inactive list, the team can bring in another player to fill that roster spot.
- If I player spends more than 20 games on the inactive list, he only gets paid a % of his contract,
- If the contract is greater than room exception or lower, then the lowest the salary can go is the room exception for the year it was signed.
- Luxury tax is calculated on what teams actually pay.
- During the offseason, all players are assumed to be healthy for the next season, unless...
- If a player is placed on the inactive list during the offseason, he can only play a maximum of 20 games and his salary is reduced accordingly.
Just make it so the a cut player's contract doesn't count against the cap. The player still gets the money he is entitled to and the team can mome on from the albatross and try to compete. Also make it that in case the player is signed by another team, the former team doesn't have to pay the equivalent to his new contract.