Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
specialsauce

Re: Coronavirus

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:09 pm
Cap wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:19 pm
Yeah, I have not seen this type of behavior, but not saying it hasn't happened.

Have you seen this?
Yes. And he deserves worse. He’s potentially killing people. He deserves much worse than water. He should be in prison.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He does, but that video was totally fake.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:49 am
In2ition wrote:

Have you seen this?
Yes. And he deserves worse. He’s potentially killing people. He deserves much worse than water. He should be in prison.
Idk, that seems a lot hyperbolic to me. Do you know if he has covid? China just came out with a study on 10 million people and said that asymptomatic spreading is not a thing. Now, Idk if that's a reputable study or not, but it's there. On top of that, other than a weak study that Indy posted about masks helping, other studies show that it's inconclusive.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:21 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Have you seen this?
Idk, that seems a lot hyperbolic to me. Do you know if he has covid? China just came out with a study on 10 million people and said that asymptomatic spreading is not a thing. Now, Idk if that's a reputable study or not, but it's there. On top of that, other than a weak study that Indy posted about masks helping, other studies show that it's inconclusive.
Just shut the fuck up in2.

I can’t be civil anymore. Another person close to me is dead. Another is in the ICU. This guy is scum of the planet. Just shut up.

I’m going to stop following this thread. I can’t have a civilized conversation with people I have no respect for. If instead of just doing a harmless thing to potentially not kill other peoples loved ones, you continue to question everything and defend wreckless acts, I have zero respect for you.

My coworker brought it home. By the time he became symptomatic it was too late. He passed it on to his entire family. That same principle applies time and time again.

I had to break news to 3 families in the last 24 hours that their loved ones were dead. I’m tired. I’m fed up. Fuck all of the irresponsible people.
Bye.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:26 am
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Have you seen this?
Just shut the fuck up in2.

I can’t be civil anymore. Another person close to me is dead. Another is in the ICU. This guy is scum of the planet. Just shut up
Fuck off. I have people close to me too that have died, so you don't have the moral high ground here, but you want to put everyone in prison that doesn't wear a fucking mask? GTFOH, that's insane. Are you a Proctologist? That's the POV you seem to have.

It sucks that your friend died of covid. It really does. I'm sorry that happened to you and them. Did he catch it from a non-mask wearing a-hole?

My whole family along with my sister's family(totally separately, we haven't seen them in months) all got covid. Another family close to us just got it too(also totally separately). It's going to run through the population with or without masks, with or without lockdowns. I'm sorry you've had to tell families that their loved ones have passed. I can't imagine having to do that day in and day out.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

So you agree with Trump that we shouldn’t do anything to stop or slow Covid? We should all forget masks and distancing and have all our get togethers without masks and pretend it doesn’t exist. Fill up those stadiums with people and let the chips fall where they fall and we will have the exact same numbers we have now? You haven’t seen your loved ones in months? Why not? Why bother with distancing if it doesn’t matter at all? I don’t even know why hospitals bother with masks. They obviously don’t work and have no place in a hospital.

My niece came over and said she was a libertarian and thinks the only reason they make us wear masks is because they are trying to take away our freedoms. A global conspiracy to take away our freedoms and they choose masks? And that made sense to her.

I’m tired of talking about this stuff too. Obviously people are going to believe what they believe no matter what the facts say. Since there is no such thing as facts anymore we all just believe the most outrageous conspiracy theories from the most fringe elements before we will believe any experts because all the experts are obviously controlled by deep state people and China....

Indy

Post by Indy »

The republican party has actively tried to dumb down their base for a generation. They encourage people to ignore facts and evidence and experts because Joe Plumber knows more...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:44 am
So you agree with Trump that we shouldn’t do anything to stop or slow Covid? We should all forget masks and distancing and have all our get togethers without masks and pretend it doesn’t exist. Fill up those stadiums with people and let the chips fall where they fall and we will have the exact same numbers we have now? You haven’t seen your loved ones in months? Why not? Why bother with distancing if it doesn’t matter at all? I don’t even know why hospitals bother with masks. They obviously don’t work and have no place in a hospital.

My niece came over and said she was a libertarian and thinks the only reason they make us wear masks is because they are trying to take away our freedoms. A global conspiracy to take away our freedoms and they choose masks? And that made sense to her.

I’m tired of talking about this stuff too. Obviously people are going to believe what they believe no matter what the facts say. Since there is no such thing as facts anymore we all just believe the most outrageous conspiracy theories from the most fringe elements before we will believe any experts because all the experts are obviously controlled by deep state people and China....
You're jumping to a lot of conclusions, Nodack.

We just haven't seen my sister and her family. It had nothing to do with masks or distancing, and I never said anything about distancing. I just thought it was f'n insane to say that someone that doesn't wear a mask should be in prison because it should be a felony. Forcing covid patients back into nursing homes sounds more like it should be a felony or multiple felonies though, since you are putting known people that have the virus into a known closed location that has many vulnerable people that can't escape from it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:49 am
The republican party has actively tried to dumb down their base for a generation. They encourage people to ignore facts and evidence and experts because Joe Plumber knows more...
Give me the facts, Indy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
This is the kind of ignorant stuff that makes it pointless to engage. He's also now actively telling people to f**k off if they poke him too sharply. Trying to reason with Trumpers is a lost cause. I'm just moving on to the "do everything I can to help purge them from the government; decrease interactions with them from personal life" phase. They cannot be redeemed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:03 am
In2ition wrote:
This is the kind of ignorant stuff that makes it pointless to engage. He's also now actively telling people to f**k off if they poke him too sharply. Trying to reason with Trumpers is a lost cause. I'm just moving on to the "do everything I can to help purge them from the government; decrease interactions with them from personal life" phase. They cannot be redeemed.
No, he started the "Fuck you" to me, so what do you suggest I do? Am I supposed to just sit, take it and not respond? So I'm the one who gets reprimanded and said that I'm a lost cause? You would move on to purging people you don't agree with from government, so we should have a one party system now, like China?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:53 am
Indy wrote:
Give me the facts, Indy.
That you seem to believe there is a global conspiracy to expand Guantanamo Bay to lock of 'deep staters' and save the United States from a rigged election, or that 100 years of communicable disease science and operating room hygiene science and sterilization science are not valid facts, just to name a few. That there are elected members of congress that openly support Q-anon is a pretty big fact that the party has abandoned all form of fact-based analysis.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:19 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Give me the facts, Indy.
That you seem to believe there is a global conspiracy to expand Guantanamo Bay to lock of 'deep staters' and save the United States from a rigged election, or that 100 years of communicable disease science and operating room hygiene science and sterilization science are not valid facts, just to name a few. That there are elected members of congress that openly support Q-anon is a pretty big fact that the party has abandoned all form of fact-based analysis.
Let's keep this at the Covid-19 virus. Did I say that you shouldn't wash your hands or use hand sanitizer? Come on man, give me the facts. Do hospitals use N-95 masks? Are they used by the public? Has their been conclusive evidence that cloth masks or non N95 masks eliminate or even cut down the spread of the virus?

Split T

Post by Split T »

We don’t use n95 masks in my hospital unless the patient is undergoing an aerosolizing procedure(bipap, vent, nebulizer, etc)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Good to know.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:29 am
Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:19 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Give me the facts, Indy.
Let's keep this at the Covid-19 virus. Did I say that you shouldn't wash your hands or use hand sanitizer? Come on man, give me the facts. Do hospitals use N-95 masks? Are they used by the public? Has their been conclusive evidence that cloth masks or non N95 masks eliminate or even cut down the spread of the virus?
Keep it to Covid? It is all connected. People who actively ignore standard, minor precautions that could help save lives because their leaders told them to, when all reputable experts in epidemiology and infection disease tell them something else, is right at the heart of the problem.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Any thoughts on the Covid Stimulus bill?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am mixed on the stimulus bill. Dems want more money than the Republicans for the Bill and after long negotiations they actually came to an agreement on a package, which is miraculous considering they almost never work together on anything. Trump wants more money given out too and is threatening to veto the Bill. Pelosi has picked up on that and said she wants to work with Trump on a larger package. The talk I hear is that Trump could throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing and possibly stop the whole thing with his veto, which would delay help to Americans. I also heard that his veto would fail because Dems and Republicans were united on passing this and therefore it would be Trump veto proof.

I have been working just enough to not have to claim any unemployment for the past few months. It’s barely making ends meet on my end. My wife has been working full time still so we are fine. I worry about a lot of other Americans not doing as well who probably really need help at this point. I also worry about our deficit and how Covid has added a crapload to out national debt that we as a country have no interest in paying off even in our best economic times and no matter what political party controls the government.

I suppose the thinking is we need to get through Covid in one piece before trying to reduce the debt. It makes sense to me. I just have zero faith that we will ever have a government that functions well enough to do what is needed as a country as in the deficit, health care etc. Biden will return us to the normal US government we are used to before Trump but, it will still be a broken government that will refuse to work together on anything meaningful. If the Republicans win those two Senate seats in Georgia we will see nothing get done for four years? Maybe that’s a best case scenario at this point. Nothing getting done is better than bad things I suppose.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:17 am
I am mixed on the stimulus bill. Dems want more money than the Republicans for the Bill and after long negotiations they actually came to an agreement on a package, which is miraculous considering they almost never work together on anything. Trump wants more money given out too and is threatening to veto the Bill. Pelosi has picked up on that and said she wants to work with Trump on a larger package. The talk I hear is that Trump could throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing and possibly stop the whole thing with his veto, which would delay help to Americans. I also heard that his veto would fail because Dems and Republicans were united on passing this and therefore it would be Trump veto proof.

I have been working just enough to not have to claim any unemployment for the past few months. It’s barely making ends meet on my end. My wife has been working full time still so we are fine. I worry about a lot of other Americans not doing as well who probably really need help at this point. I also worry about our deficit and how Covid has added a crapload to out national debt that we as a country have no interest in paying off even in our best economic times and no matter what political party controls the government.

I suppose the thinking is we need to get through Covid in one piece before trying to reduce the debt. It makes sense to me. I just have zero faith that we will ever have a government that functions well enough to do what is needed as a country as in the deficit, health care etc. Biden will return us to the normal US government we are used to before Trump but, it will still be a broken government that will refuse to work together on anything meaningful. If the Republicans win those two Senate seats in Georgia we will see nothing get done for four years? Maybe that’s a best case scenario at this point. Nothing getting done is better than bad things I suppose.
Have you seen what's in the bill? Do you really want to have that approved? How can it even be called a Covid Stimulus bill when 75%+ of the money is going to everything other than stimulus to the people they say they are helping with it?

Also, sorry about your situation, Nodack. We need to get over this thing and back to normal soon. They also need to do the Covid Stimulus only bill that gives $2000 to the people, and get rid of the stipulation that college students 18-24 don't get any money. That's ridiculous on it's own merits, imo.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Part of the bill is punishment to people streaming movies over the internet for profit. While I think such things need to be addressed, I don’t see why it’s part of a Covid relief package. It’s called pork. I will sign the bill but, only if I get this added on. I am not a fan but, it happens on every single bill. I haven’t read about 75+% going to non Covid matters. I wouldn’t be surprised though.