Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Kings (2-0), Sun 12/27/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Kings (2-0), Sun 12/27/20

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mikal and Cam highlights from last night. Love how they both scored in so many different ways.

Cap

Post by Cap »

We’re #5 in Sagarin. Enjoy that while it lasts. http://sagarin.com/sports/nbasend.htm

What the Mavs did to the Clippers is a big part of it. The Mavs are #2 in the rankings despite a 1-2 record, because the ratings are based in large part on point differential.
Last edited by Cap on Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mikal and Cam taking the leap to off the dribble scoring threats can make up for losing Oubre. Still want to see Cam shooting the 3 more than driving, but the fact he can drive is a nice bonus. Those two and Cam Payne have been the brightest spots. Gallo too, he may need to take the Carter minutes. When we get Saric back, we may have a pretty legit 9 man rotation.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey

Post by carey »

Anyone hear someone yell out the phrase "scary eyes" over & over at just over the 7 minute mark? Weird.

It's cool to see Cam Johnson averaging better stats than Coby White who was surprised Cam was selected where he was.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:05 am
Anyone hear someone yell out the phrase "scary eyes" over & over at just over the 7 minute mark? Weird.

It's cool to see Cam Johnson averaging better stats than Coby White who was surprised Cam was selected where he was.
Yeah, I heard that too. I was wondering what it meant.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

In fairness, I think Coby was surprised he was selected as high as he was based on media projections. He seemed genuinely happy for his friend, and send to hold Can in high regard from their college days.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:05 am

Yes to both.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:18 pm
carey wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:09 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:05 pm
This feels like a game where its close until the last 5 mins where we just fall apart. Happened to often last year.
That's why we're paying Paul $40M to prevent that.
Paid off tonight.
Did it? It was Payne and Book on the court deciding the game, not CP3 and Book.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:22 pm
Ayton's bobbles are the most consistent thing about his game.
EJ said a couple times tonight that he has small hands for his size.
Which shouldn't matter if you are seven feet tall. I have normal sized hands for my size and I can palm a ball (with some effort :P ). He shouldn't have a problem with hand size. Like EJ said, start throwing it at his face and he will start catching it. :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:03 am
Ayton is soft. That’s it. I watched a few plays where he was either open or had a really good lane to cut for a pass. He deferred on both. He doesn't want the ball.

This regression started in the bubble and unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like he dedicated himself to improving his game and body this offseason the way that a pro of his stature should.

I think his D has been fine for the most part this season, but it’s really frustrating to watch him on O.
I'm afraid so. He's also afraid to interact with somebody coming to the hoop to dunk. Last night, he boxed out one guy but he obviously saw another King coming to the hoop to dunk but he just sat there with his back to him even though he was looking over his shoulder and could see the player coming. It's not the first time he's done it either.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:30 am
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:03 am
Ayton is soft. That’s it. I watched a few plays where he was either open or had a really good lane to cut for a pass. He deferred on both. He doesn't want the ball.

This regression started in the bubble and unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like he dedicated himself to improving his game and body this offseason the way that a pro of his stature should.

I think his D has been fine for the most part this season, but it’s really frustrating to watch him on O.
I'm afraid so. He's also afraid to interact with somebody coming to the hoop to dunk. Last night, he boxed out one guy but he obviously saw another King coming to the hoop to dunk but he just sat there with his back to him even though he was looking over his shoulder and could see the player coming. It's not the first time he's done it either.
Yeah. There is a lot of watching other guys dunk on our hoop while he boxes out his guy.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

About those +/- number Shel posted,

Payne/Booker/Bridges/Johnson/<center> has been our best lineup so far this season and it's not even close. When those 4 are all out there, they play with the player and ball movement we saw in the bubble. They aren't waiting for one guy to make the plays happen. It's nearly impossible to defend those 4 when they are moving. They end up taking a lot of jumpers, but they are good rhythm jumpers.

Galloway gets it and could join that crew as his defense and movement gets better.

Carter has been fine, and his shot actually looks a lot better than last season. He's got Galloway breathing down his neck, though.

When CP3 is out there, the team kind of stands around waiting for him to create on the pick and roll. Either that or they take a quick 3 without really attacking the defense.

Crowder has been doing too much standing in the corner waiting, imo, but his main problem is that his shots aren't going down. I think a lot of his shots are coming when the pick and roll breaks down, but he's not even hitting the open ones.

It will be interesting to see how CP3 adjusts to the strengths of this team.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Watching Haliburton in this one was painful. The epitome of a .5 player.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I’m still as flabbergasted as I was at draft time that we didn’t take him. The only explanation that makes sense to me is Haliburton really didn’t want to play for us and let us know, hence we passed. That or we really loved Jalen for some reason. I like Jalen, he’s fine, but I haven’t seen anything yet to justify passing on Hali.

carey

Post by carey »

I'm sure it was that he specifically asked not to be drafted by us. I probably would have said fuck it & drafted him anyway but I do like Smith. I like his confidence & I really think he'll eventually be really good stretch big for us.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:40 pm
I'm sure it was that he specifically asked not to be drafted by us. I probably would have said fuck it & drafted him anyway but I do like Smith. I like his confidence & I really think he'll eventually be really good stretch big for us.
Ya I think he can be good and it’s not fair to him to hold him to a higher standard, he didn’t decide to be picked at 10.

I do wonder why Hali wanted to play in Sacramento? What makes that situation better than ours? I think playing time would have been there for us too. He’s still behind Fox/Hield on the depth chart. Maybe it was actually New Orleans or Boston he was trying to get to and Sacramento just picked him anyways.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:45 pm
carey wrote:
Ya I think he can be good and it’s not fair to him to hold him to a higher standard, he didn’t decide to be picked at 10.

I do wonder why Hali wanted to play in Sacramento? What makes that situation better than ours? I think playing time would have been there for us too. He’s still behind Fox/Hield on the depth chart. Maybe it was actually New Orleans or Boston he was trying to get to and Sacramento just picked him anyways.
Yeah, I doubt he was trying to get to Sacramento with Fox and Hield. But hoping to fall to someone else seems iffy too. My bet is that Cam's success last year gave Jones a big head and he out thought himself here.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:35 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:45 pm
carey wrote:

Yeah, I doubt he was trying to get to Sacramento with Fox and Hield. But hoping to fall to someone else seems iffy too. My bet is that Cam's success last year gave Jones a big head and he out thought himself here.
It was reported that Hali's camp was angling to get him to Sacramento (for some reason). Still, James Jones has to do what's best for the Suns, not Tyrese Haliburton. And getting a top-5 talent cost controlled for up to 7 years is something you have to do. He's 20. We've got a good group of guys. I think he would have eventually made peace with the situation, like Mikal did.