Video Games

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Mori Chu

Video Games

Post by Mori Chu »

Catch-all thread for anything related to video games. What games did you love in 2020? Did you get any fun new games for Christmas? What're you playing?

My quick thoughts:

- My favorite game of 2020 was probably Paper Mario for Switch. My wife's was Animal Crossing. (We are a Nintendo family.) PC game I played the most was probably Fall Guys, which is lots of zany fun. I also play a lot of Rocket League on my PS4. I mostly don't play the big AAA releases so I don't have many thoughts on those.

I wanted to love Genshin Impact (it's like Zelda Breath of the Wild, one of my fave games of all time!), but I didn't. The gameplay wasn't puzzley and explorey enough for me. And I didn't like the free-to-play, pay-to-win mechanics built into the game to extract revenue. Still searching for an experience like BotW; maybe Immortals Fenyx Rising will scratch the itch?

For Christmas I got Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. I've played it for about 2 hours. It's not like BotW, but it has a good story and fun mindless hack-and-slash gameplay. I also got Super Meat Boy Forever. I love Meat Boy and Celeste and other really hard 2D platformers like that. I'm enjoying that one so far.

What about you?

Indy

Re: Video Games

Post by Indy »

I haven't played a video game all year. Well, a few rounds of Mario Kart on the Switch with the family. I need to get back into it at some point. I still want to play Red Dead Redemption (1 and 2).

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I've been playing Cyberpunk 2077. Has plenty of glitches but is pretty great on PC. Having a lot of fun with the missions and side missions. I have a relatively good gaming PC.

- i7-6700k CPU
- 2070 RTX Super GPU
- 32gb RAM
- 3440x1440 34" Ultrawide G-Sync curved gaming monitor

I've also spent a good chunk of time with the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. Got a sweet joystick to use with it. Just recently got Horizon Zero Dawn on sale for PC. If any of you are old school like I am, I just got into Doom 2 mods that modernize the game quite a bit (can now aim up and down, look down sights, better graphics, tougher enemies, etc.). Start with GZDoom and Brutal Doom.

I got a Quest 2 back in November for my birthday. My wife let me buy it for myself. Having a blast and getting a good workout. Also, it's allowed me to spend time with a lot of my guy friends. I told them about it and 3 of them got one either in November or for Christmas. Has been a ton of fun playing ping pong with them as well as a few first person shooters but mostly a ton of Top Golf and mini putt putt golf. The 4 of us were online last night for almost 2 hours cracking jokes and acting like idiots while our kiddos and wives slept. We all had our first borns within a year of each other so very similar situations in many ways and it's been a great escape for all of us.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Loved Breath of the Wild. Just started Paper Mario. Ghosts of Tsushima is excellent on PS4. Really digging Miles Morales, Astrobot, Sackboy Adventures, and NBA 2K on PS5. I hope to play Cyberpunk some day on the PS5.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

You can get us all a PS5, right bone? :P

I have been trying to buy one and just can't find one anywhere (except for resellers charging over a grand).

Indy

Post by Indy »

By the way, is anyone else trying to decide between XBOX and PS5? I have owned all off both until the XBOX One. I just didn't play enough to justify having both systems.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And yes, BOTW was outstanding.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:00 pm
By the way, is anyone else trying to decide between XBOX and PS5? I have owned all off both until the XBOX One. I just didn't play enough to justify having both systems.
If you have a good PC, the Xbox isn't worth getting since you can get almost all of the Xbox exclusives for PC (and the Game Pass is fantastic). For the exclusives, the PS5 would be better. I don't really console game anymore, outside of my Switch on occasion. If I had to get a console though, the PS5 for those exclusives is the route I'd go.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:58 pm

I have been trying to buy one and just can't find one anywhere (except for resellers charging over a grand).
I seriously wish I could. For the first time in a long time, SIEA gave all full-time employees one at launch. It's really too bad they are so hard to get. It's not by design, I know that. For sure don't buy a scalped PS5. Leave those guys hanging and maybe even taking a loss.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:20 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:58 pm

I seriously wish I could. For the first time in a long time, SIEA gave all full-time employees one at launch. It's really too bad they are so hard to get. It's not by design, I know that. For sure don't buy a scalped PS5. Leave those guys hanging and maybe even taking a loss.
The lack of production support has me greatly concerned that factories will be cutting corners and looking for any reason to ship a unit instead of making sure it is 100% good to go.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:17 pm
Indy wrote:
If you have a good PC, the Xbox isn't worth getting since you can get almost all of the Xbox exclusives for PC (and the Game Pass is fantastic). For the exclusives, the PS5 would be better. I don't really console game anymore, outside of my Switch on occasion. If I had to get a console though, the PS5 for those exclusives is the route I'd go.
I don't do PC gaming because I don't like having a PC, or being tied to a desk if I am not working. I will probably end up with a PS5 some time next spring. I was just unpacking a couple weeks ago and went through my video game bins. In them, I had:
  • Intellivsion II x 2 (with voice module and Atari 2600 module)--I have no idea why I have 2
    NES
    SNES
    N64
    GameCube
    Wii
    Switch
    Xbox
    Xbox 360
    PS1 (modded)
    PS2 x 2
    PS3
    PS4 x 3 (one is original launch and is flaky)

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:51 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:17 pm
Indy wrote:
I don't do PC gaming because I don't like having a PC, or being tied to a desk if I am not working. I will probably end up with a PS5 some time next spring. I was just unpacking a couple weeks ago and went through my video game bins. In them, I had:
  • Intellivsion II x 2 (with voice module and Atari 2600 module)--I have no idea why I have 2
    NES
    SNES
    N64
    GameCube
    Wii
    Switch
    Xbox
    Xbox 360
    PS1 (modded)
    PS2 x 2
    PS3
    PS4 x 3 (one is original launch and is flaky)
Based on your console collection, you're around 44 years old. Do you have a family? If you guys are anything like me, you probably have to squeeze in gaming after the wife and kid(s) go to sleep these days.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I haven't gamed all year. the last game I played in earnest was BOTW, which was fantastic. I did play COD quite a bit back then too. But that was when the kids were in bed by 7:30. Now they are up and around until 9, then the house hold chores kick in, and I am working by 6 am.

And I just turned 45 two months ago. :)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I haven't played video games since the first Xbox and Halo. I used to play, but couldn't afford to play while raising kids and the time used to take care of a family on 1 income. My boys are all gamers, and I wish I wouldn't have introduced gaming to them so early, but they are nearly all grown, except for my 15 yr old. I honestly haven't had the itch to get back into it, even though I did it a lot when I was much younger.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 pm
I haven't played video games since the first Xbox and Halo. I used to play, but couldn't afford to play while raising kids and the time used to take care of a family on 1 income. My boys are all gamers, and I wish I wouldn't have introduced gaming to them so early, but they are nearly all grown, except for my 15 yr old. I honestly haven't had the itch to get back into it, even though I did it a lot when I was much younger.
why?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:30 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 pm
why?
Many a lost opportunity to get out, enjoy the weather, do something productive, play some sports, or anything else was declined for hours upon endless hours of sitting in front of a video game.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Got it. We have a nice balance of screen time vs active and brain time. The kiddos don't always like it, but they will when they are older.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Anybody played Immortals: Fenyx Rising? I keep hearing that it is the closest thing to a Breath of the Wild spiritual successor. I want to give it a try.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:46 pm
Got it. We have a nice balance of screen time vs active and brain time. The kiddos don't always like it, but they will when they are older.
Yeah, you've got to do that. Just like any other entertainment.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:51 pm
Anybody played Immortals: Fenyx Rising? I keep hearing that it is the closest thing to a Breath of the Wild spiritual successor. I want to give it a try.
I've seen that the ads want you to believe that. I'm curious to know what you think if you try it.
"Be Legendary."