Movies / TV Shows

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Nodack

Re: TV Shows / Movies

Post by Nodack »

Just saw Wonder Woman. Meh.
Spoiler: show/hide

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just finished watching WW84. That’s an additional 1.5 hours I won’t get back. I wish I had spent that time watching The Mandelorian. Just got back into that and I’m still on the first season. Oh well, another night. Yeah, this WW movie totally jumped the shark. Multiple times.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Anybody here seen Possessor? Looks interesting but I’ve read mixed reviews. Sounds like it’s over the top gory which is something I’m not a fan of. It’s directed by Brandon Cronenberg son of director David Cronenberg also know for his over the top gore.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:46 am
Anybody here seen Possessor? Looks interesting but I’ve read mixed reviews. Sounds like it’s over the top gory which is something I’m not a fan of. It’s directed by Brandon Cronenberg son of director David Cronenberg also know for his over the top gore.
I think I saw a trailer or something for it on one of the streaming apps. It looked different, for sure. I figured, good luck trying to convince my wife to watch it, though she loves sci-fi. I think once we wrap up the mini series Devs (we just finished the 2nd episode), I want us to give The Expanse a go. I've heard nothing but good things.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:42 am
Superbone wrote:
I think I saw a trailer or something for it on one of the streaming apps. It looked different, for sure. I figured, good luck trying to convince my wife to watch it, though she loves sci-fi. I think once we wrap up the mini series Devs (we just finished the 2nd episode), I want us to give The Expanse a go. I've heard nothing but good things.
How is Devs?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I love the Mandalorian. Ted Lasso was a great recommendation, so thanks to those who said good things. Is there anything else worth watching on Apple TV+? I got the free trial to watch season 1 of Ted Lasso, wondering if I should keep it and check anything else out?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mandalorian was really good. WW84 wasn't great. There were some parts that I thought were a little campy.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:04 pm
I love the Mandalorian. Ted Lasso was a great recommendation, so thanks to those who said good things. Is there anything else worth watching on Apple TV+? I got the free trial to watch season 1 of Ted Lasso, wondering if I should keep it and check anything else out?
Yeah, loved Ted Lasso. It is so popular worldwide that they have already greenlighted seasons 2 and 3.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
The Mrs and I started “The Morning Show” last night and it’s pretty good.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:27 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
How is Devs?
Really good. Definitely worth watching. Kind of mind-bending.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:39 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:27 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Superbone wrote:
How is Devs?
Really good. Definitely worth watching. Kind of mind-bending.
Sounds right down my alley! What service is that on?

ETA: Of course it's on Hulu, one of the few streaming services I don't have.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:39 pm
Split T wrote:
The Mrs and I started “The Morning Show” last night and it’s pretty good.
I watched the whole season of the Morning Show and enjoyed it. It wasn’t what I was expecting at all. I assumed a complete cheesy comedy and was pleasantly surprised.

We watched Servant and kind of got hooked on that.

I recently downloaded the entire three seasons of Yellowstone. We watched one episode and are mildly intrigued. Not Apple+ though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My wife is watching The Stand on the CBS streaming service. She is upset; she says it deviates too much from the book and isn't good. She watched Queen's Gambit and liked that. We both watched Mandalorian Season 2 and enjoyed it. We watched The Bachelorette and thought the recent season of that was okay; The Bachelor kicks off next week. We don't really have a show that we're actively watching right now. Thinking about checking out Devs, or maybe finally getting around to some of the dramas I've missed out on like Better Call Saul.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Speaking of Apple TV, I bought their top of the line 4K unit and it was money well spent. Their Dolby Vision audio/video quality is the best bar none. It really takes advantage of my top of the line TV and sound system. They also have every app as far as I can tell. No longer have to go to my PS4, PS5, or Smart TV depending on which app I want to watch.
"Be Legendary."

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

I've watched the first three episodes of The Stand, too. I generally like the casting okay, but the way they've chosen to present it (lots of flashbacks and time jumps) is confusing; if I hadn't read the novel fairly recently, I think it would be very difficult to follow.

I liked The Mandalorian for what it was - Star Wars Western-style with plenty of ways to set up spinoff series. That's Disney for you, never met a marketing opportunity they didn't like.

The best TV I've watched recently was "The Leftovers," which is an HBO series from a few years ago. Season 2, especially, is high on my list of best single seasons of a TV series ever.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:00 pm
Speaking of Apple TV, I bought their top of the line 4K unit and it was money well spent. Their Dolby Vision audio/video quality is the best bar none. It really takes advantage of my top of the line TV and sound system. They also have every app as far as I can tell. No longer have to go to my PS4, PS5, or Smart TV depending on which app I want to watch.
I got the iPod for Christmas to go with mine. Might get a second for true stereo.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The new Chromecast with Google TV works the same as the new Apple TV. It's a little dongle though so it hides easily next to the HDMI input. I did a write up on Reddit regarding initial impressions. $50. Also has Dolby Vision.

Here was my write up a few months ago:

As someone that picked one up from Walmart this morning since our 1st gen Chromecast was on its last leg, I figured I'd chime in on a few impressions.

- Video quality is greatly improved. This is probably a byproduct of coming from a 1st gen to a now 4th gen Chromecast.

- You can still cast the same as before from your phone, etc., and add it to a Group if you have other Google Home devices to cast to your television and speakers simultaneously.

- The menus seem to have a quick response time. We have an LG SmartTV which isn't very responsive with lag frequently in the built in SmartTV menus. This is very quick. With the ability to get updates to the Google TV platform and add apps easily, we won't be going back to using the LG SmartTV functionality any longer.

- Many phone apps can be installed. I tried Ticket to Ride and was playing on the TV with my wife. Pretty neat.- I had to re-enter all of my login credentials for the corresponding apps I had setup on Google Home and my phone (Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Max, etc.).

- I was able to pair my Enacfire Bluetooth headphones and listen to YouTube Music on the TV and Raised by Wolves on HBO Max wireless, with headphones, in the living room and kitchen. Pretty cool for late night usage when our 10 month old daughter is sleeping.

- I was also able to pair my Nintendo Switch controller via Bluetooth and play a few Android games I installed from the Google TV menu (only tested with Riptide GP2).

- The remote IR blaster works with multiple TVs and soundbars so we just use the Chromecast Google TV remote now instead of the TV remote for our LG and soundbar. The volume control can be set to work with TV volume or soundbar volume which is cool if you want the option of one or the other. You no longer have the Chromecast device volume that is separate from the TV or soundbar volume.

- I am able to tell the remote (Google Assistant), "show me entryway camera" and my Nest camera feed displays on the TV.

- General Google searches work as well. I was able to see a list of nearby Home Depot locations and Google Assistant sent the directions to my phone.

I think it's a pretty impressive upgrade for the simple fact I can pair Bluetooth devices to it and the drastic increase in video and audio quality (plus it supports Dolby Vision). Many times we'd be casting from our phones and the controls wouldn't work on the phone any longer and we'd have to disconnect and reconnect to casting to resume controls. Having a dedicated remote is pretty nice. It's compact and very functional, plus it has voice assistant search capabilities with the remote.

I also appreciate having all of our content from our services aggregated on the Google TV UI so I'm not looking for a show or movie on each app from my phone before casting. It's also nice not having to share our WiFi password with friends all the time now so they too can connect and cast, assuming they have the necessary app they are wanting to cast from. They can just use the remote.

For $50, it was pretty much a no brainer. Once official Stadia support exists, I'll look forward to finally giving Stadia a try to see how well it works.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, I bought season one of Devs on AppleTV last night. Watched episode 1. Good stuff! I liked when the Ron Swanson character said to the main character, "I give you my word that I'm all over this."
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’ll have to check that out.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I saw Nobody last night with my sons. We all really enjoyed it. Probably the best time at the movies in over a yr. Highly recommend it for those that like a John Wick type movie with a little dry humor.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass