Game Day: Pelicans (2-1) @ Suns (2-1), Tues 12/29/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Game Day: Pelicans (2-1) @ Suns (2-1), Tues 12/29/20

Post by Wally_West »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nice! Digging the We Are The Valley video. Also digging our wings! Gonna need plenty of BBQ sauce this year.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

General comments from the game:

- I'm a little less concerned about Ayton's talent than others as however good he is or isn't we can pay a fair price for him. In some ways I'd prefer him to have an average year this year - so long as he plays good defence, which he does - and lock him into a contract based on that (like we did with TJ Warren) as Paul, Booker, Johnson and Bridges - and Crowder maybe - are all good scorers so it's not like we desperately need that from him and Johnson and Bridges won't be cheap at this rate.

And if we lock him into a cheap contract we still have the chance for him to prove us wrong - it's a tough environment for him at the moment with CP3 and Booker on his case wanting to win as he's not your naturally aggressive / confident guy but over time as his confidence grows that can easily change....and I don't believe he's a waster either.

- Booker looks like he's tending towards petulance regarding Ayton's efforts rather than showing leadership and that's not a great look.

- Cam Payne continues to be a baller, have thought highly of him since the bubble.

- CP3 is a huge upgrade over Rubio to state the obvious .. was a little worried there, but no longer.

- Cam Johnson can play - I was high on him just for his height + shooting, but he's got a whole lot more to his game than just that.

- Jevon Carter who tf thought paying him $4m a year was a good idea?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I haven’t given up on Carter yet. His defense is very good. He just needs to stop overdribbling and get his shot back. Coach cannot let him get away with the overdribbing act. He needs to be pulled immediately if he does that.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:54 am
That last stat is insane.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

I didn't pay much attention to his D, and it is early in the season, and he may have been part paid as a locker room guy, but I still admire your optimism - his stats from last year don't seem to warrant it and he's definitely lost at the moment with a negative PER ranking him the 6th worst player in the NBA based on that.

http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/s ... s/_/page/7

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Great to get that blowout on national TV! The team looked good and not just because we were hitting shots. The offense was flowing, thought the defense was very good at times and was swarming the ball. Some possessions felt like the Pels just couldn't breathe. I don't think us shooting like that regularly is so far fetched because we have the shooters. We just need to continue getting guys their shots in rhythm.

In general, you don't see a lot of weak links within the offense. Everyone can dribble, pass and shoot. Cam and Mikal have kept up their improvements from the bubble and look very comfortable slashing and getting to the rim while still knocking down shots and playing great defense. Crowder's capable to going off, Gallo has solidified his role off the bench. Dario looked better than I expected, might be a little out of shape but who can really tell anyway. The ball moved much better with the 2nd unit tho and our bench was able to keep the starters on the bench.

Carter I'm not concerned about. We know he's a streak shooter, he'll get it back but can still provide a spark and some defense off the bench. Still early but Payne is looking very solid and picking his spots in the offense well.

Wish we hadn't dropped that game to the Kings but for the all the hype the Pels are getting, we made a bit of a statement last night. Let's see if we can stay in sync and get a streak going.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jevon's mom getting in on the action

Nice play off the inbound pass, not an easy shot

Just posting this because I'm trying to copy Jae's look

jonh

Post by jonh »

What an amazing game! I think Bridges and Johnson are big factors in the team's ability to take the next step--they have been fantastic so far this season. I think its especially interesting when you think about Oubre's start to the season.

I thought that Ayton was very active on the boards. It seems like he is convinced that his role is to be good defensively, and so that means he shouldn't be aggressive offensively. Did still see some good offensive boards from him.

I overreacted with how bad the Suns were playing due to 1 1/2 games at Sacramento, so Ill try not to overreact with the team playing well for 1 1/2 games. Excited to see the rest of the games this week.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Always appreciate your Morning After tweets Shel
I have to make sure and pop in with the usual Payne or Cam tweet lol

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

was determined to find this 8-) , shout out Suns Brazil :)
of all the good things we did last night, this had me so pumped for dude lol

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

jonh wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:41 am
I overreacted with how bad the Suns were playing due to 1 1/2 games at Sacramento, so Ill try not to overreact with the team playing well for 1 1/2 games. Excited to see the rest of the games this week.
This. There are some salient points to take away:

- If a team decides to double your stars and/or pack the paint, the right counter is to have deadly three point shooters. And the three point shooters were deadly indeed. There will be nights where Cam, Bridges, and Crowder aren't hitting their shots -- but that's what Galloway is for. I'm loving the team construction. Along these lines, the ball movement was fantastic. Dario's skip pass stood out to me but everyone really had great passes.

- When the Pellies decided to contest the Suns' outside shots, it gave very nice driving lanes to the two Cams and Bridges.

- But the reality is that the game was won by defense. I can't say enough about the long arms of the Cams and Bridges. But Ayton really deserves a lot of credit. When he's hustling like that and anchoring the defense, he plays a vital role...
jonh wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:41 am
I thought that Ayton was very active on the boards. It seems like he is convinced that his role is to be good defensively, and so that means he shouldn't be aggressive offensively. Did still see some good offensive boards from him.
I don't think that is entirely fair. He scored from deep position inside a few times. But the right role for him on a night like that is the Dwight Howard or Tyson Chandler role -- anchor the defense, rebound any misses, and score putbacks off the rebounds.

Whether or not this turns into his permanent role is up to him. The team might not need anything more to go far, especially in this era. Yet, I'm hoping that the Paul-Ayton pick-and-roll turns into a thing of beauty with time. It would turn the Suns into real title contenders if the Cams and Bridges continue playing at this level.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Oatmeal wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:16 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:14 pm
DEANDRE AYTON JUST STOPPED ON A WIDE OPEN DRIVE TO THE RIM TO WAIT FOR STEVEN ADAMS TO DEFEND HIM.

(what a nice guy.)
Dominayton with friendship.
The real Dominayton was the friends he made along the way.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:22 pm
Crowder on fire with like four 3s and they've been good rhythm shots for him off dribble penetration. Looks like the offense has been tweaked a bit for more drives and kickouts to shooters than standing around playing PnR. Ayton had a good look from the FT line, should've just shot it.
A continuation of what worked in the 2nd half of the Kings game. I was glad to see it working with Crowder and CP3 in the game.

jonh

Post by jonh »

I was blown away by Payne's assist here--its an Under the basket pass to Johnson. It might be more impressive to me because Im right handed, but it was amazing to watch.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:30 pm
Oatmeal wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:22 pm
I don't know who Preston Ellis is, but thanks for the capture. On second thought, no thanks. Enjoy everyone!

Absolutely disgraceful this guy thinks he's dominant in any way.
Watch the reactions from Crowder at the top and Booker at the bottom sidelines.
It reminded me of that Memphis game his rookie season when they just stopped guarding him at the ft line and he froze up.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Oatmeal wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:35 pm
Pels know they can get shots in the paint all night, we gotta hit 3s to stay in it
You called it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Oatmeal wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:42 pm
Payne boxes out Zion, gets the board buries the 3 on the other end. Love it.
Play of the game. Before the box out, Payne actually guarded Zion in the post. The dude has it.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:03 pm
Do we have the best bench unit in the league?
YES