Game Day: Pelicans (2-1) @ Suns (2-1), Tues 12/29/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
3rdside

Re: Game Day: Pelicans (2-1) @ Suns (2-1), Tues 12/29/20

Post by 3rdside »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:57 am
3rdside wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:56 pm
A better way to say it is if Ayton has an unusually high centre of gravity from having broad shoulders, a long torso, shorter legs and a small ass then that makes him weak on the block. And it would explain why guys 6 inches shorter than him give him trouble as they just need to apply pressure in the right place to throw him off balance more easily than someone with a lower centre of gravity.
Speaking of which -- this is exactly what I saw from Zion. Massive upper body makes him a bit top heavy and wobbly. This is going to limit him -- I wonder if he should lose some of the upper body mass.
Just to clarify - I'm no physiology expert and what I said about shorter legs raising a body's centre of gravity isn't - in isolation - correct I don't think; it's the opposite. Relatively skinny legs and butt would also raise it, with some combination of the two (leg thickness, leg length) affecting things accordingly.

On Zion you could be right - my first thought was that this wasn't the case, and that he was just struggling because he was gassed, but looking at photos of him his legs do look quite small vs his upper body.

Whether he can redistribute his weight for it to make a material difference I'm not sure that's possible with just 9% body fat - I'm no athletic trainer either but decreasing upper body workouts while increasing leg workouts, especially in the off season might work - but again whether he can materially alter that distribution, and alter it safely, is debatable, at least from my non-expert point of view.

Wally_West

Re: Game Day: Pelicans (2-1) @ Suns (2-1), Tues 12/29/20

Post by Wally_West »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:25 pm
Ayton is gonna dad dick Sarver’s wallet. Ayton is going to get paid and it’s going to be a number y’all really won’t like. Might as well start accepting that. At the end of the day, it’s not my fucking money. I don’t give a shit.
I never get this take from a fan in football or basketball. What a player gets paid matters to your team's ability to put together a championship team. I don't get how someone can't get that. If your team overpays players, you'll get a team that can't compete at a high level because they don't have the resources to acquire the necessary talent.
My bad, I could’ve phrased it better, but my take isn't I don’t care about Ayton’s future huge contract and how it affects the Suns long term, but my take IS THAT Ayton is going to get huge contract. In my opinion, it is an inevitability that he will. Agree or disagree, that’s just how I feel. Of course in a perfect world he would get something reasonable, something that isn’t going to fuck us for years, but base on the last few years that isn’t how things usually play out.