Game Day: Suns (4-1) @ Nuggets (1-3), Friday 1/1/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (4-1) @ Nuggets (1-3), Friday 1/1/21

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:50 am
As my grandmother used to say, “Don’t put the cart before the horse.”

Clippers next. That will certainly be a barometer.
Dude, let us dream a little, would ya?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:19 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:34 pm
Paul and Ayton had a moment coming off the court. Makes my heart warm.
Dang, I missed that. Still have the Denver broadcast to watch. Hopefully, they showed it as well.
No wonder I missed it. It wasn’t shown on the Suns broadcast. It was only seen on the Nuggets broadcast.
"Be Legendary."

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Democritus wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:29 pm
20 & 15 from DA. Let's have some positive vibes guys.
I called it. But is this team better than our 2009-2010 Suns?
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

It was a weird game in many ways (scrappy, weird reffing, the turnover binge at the end of the 3rd), but a great one to win. The big tests are still to come as we ain’t sneaking up on anyone anymore. But this team looks like it might have what it takes to meet those challenges. I hope so anyway!!

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Ayton is so „methodical“ in everything he does. I‘m calling him „the method man“ from now on.

Refs sucked tonight and we got tired in the second half but still held on. Defense has been our calling card so far and that is great, we can still win games even when the offense is bad and when the shooting is off.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:56 am
https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267236

Ayton 10-13

I don’t get the + - thing. All our starters were minus numbers and all the bench had + numbers.
Out starters played them even or lost ground while our bench built a lead and scored more than theirs. I noticed that during the game.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:51 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:45 pm
Love the new avi INF!
Thanks! Gotta give the Valley Boy his due.
Oh didn't even notice this y'day :) 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nice win for us even tho the 2nd half was ugly. Had a feeling we'd lose our legs a bit and while I hate to complain about the refs, they really screwed up the flow of the game in the 2nd half and helped make it closer than it should've been.

Not too much to add from what others said....DA was solid on both ends. If we get this kind of game from him consistently we'll be in a very good spot. 38 minutes played which feels like a career high and he did it in Denver on a b2b. Nice to see Monty giving him those minutes and him being able to handle them. The stat line was very good but I'd be happier with less stats and more impact than a gaudy 26 and 15 where he sleepwalks. We got him good shots in rhythm, he took the jumpers that were there and really held down the paint.

I think the +/- thing turned at the end of the 3rd. The bench was playing well and then I think Monty put the starters back in to try and put the game away. Instead it went sideways and we ended up playing the starters heavier minutes than they probably should've played.

Book's TOs are still an issue but like most, I think he gets it under control. He's still forcing things at times, overdribbling or holding the ball too long when defenses attack him. He comes up when we need baskets tho as always. Same with Paul who iced the game. Maybe his best all around game so far?

The rest of the team was kind of meh...Bridges started off hot and cooled. Crowder didn't do much and Cam Johnson couldn't really get it going either. Frank with some good minutes and he looks in better shape than last year. I think Monty could've rolled with the bench longer and seen better results.

Last year we lost in OT to the Nugs in maybe the 2nd game of the year? The refs jerked us then too with Rubio, Baynes and Oubre fouling out and Book playing with 5. Thought that's where we were headed last night but we held on. We had similar vibes last year with our good start but ultimately hit the wall. Now we're 5-1 with more talent and better talent to hopefully sustain this kind of play all year long.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Finally getting on to drop my lil 2cents

We all have noticed Mikal's new aggressiveness/confidence but two of those made 3s in the first quarter with a hand in his face I was like wow man - zero hesitation lol

Payne didn't really have an imprint on the game and believe it or not I was actually upset with couple reads he made that led to a turnover and a miss :shock: lol. His minutes obviously didn't hurt the team as the bench unit on a whole still did their thing and it is good to see that there weren't even any of the Backup pg comments in the thread 8-)

As for Cam, definitely think he was one really feeling the back to back. Only hit one jumper in the 2nd half and was shooting a lil flat. Box score says just 4 rebounds but watching live I felt he was really battling and gave a good effort on the glass

Man random plug - I used to play guard, prided myself on making my FTs and not turning the ball over. As a fan of the game it's one of my pet peeves especially when assessing the elites so ammm yeaaaa. Geeeeez DEVIN !

Oh and as others have said I felt like the refs had a shocker. Didn't seem in control of the game in the 2nd half

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This is the kind of rolling play Ayton can be good at. Let him roll and catch for the easy lay-in, not roll, catch and dribble or have to make an extra move or two on his own. Wouldn't be surprised if this play was added just for Ayton to catch and turn easily

DA winning the tip was probably the play of the game TBH. Glad we finally won a challenge.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

At least I can just smh and laugh at it for now

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Seems almost unanimously on Reddit /r/nba , most posters are enamoured with Ayton and his defense. I think many around here are starting to come around too. Paul was really praising Ayton after his game for his defensive impact and a lot of things that are overlooked on the stat sheet. Would love it if he becomes one of the best defensive bigs in the league.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:31 am
Seems almost unanimously on Reddit /r/nba , most posters are enamoured with Ayton and his defense. I think many around here are starting to come around too. Paul was really praising Ayton after his game for his defensive impact and a lot of things that are overlooked on the stat sheet. Would love it if he becomes one of the best defensive bigs in the league.
I think almost everyone on here thinks DA is a very good defensive player.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:47 am
I love the way the team is trying to bring him along like a 5 year old learning to ride a bike. Even Mikal looks like a dad that just saw his son/daughter pedal all by themselves for the first time. And Book coming over to encourage him.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:33 pm
W h e w
Post of the game.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:45 am
Finally getting on to drop my lil 2cents...
I'm surprised you didn't mention Payne's small on big play of the night. He got switched onto JaMychal Green on defense and drew a charge. He's becoming legendary before our eyes for his small on big defense.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:20 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:19 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:34 pm
Paul and Ayton had a moment coming off the court. Makes my heart warm.
Dang, I missed that. Still have the Denver broadcast to watch. Hopefully, they showed it as well.
No wonder I missed it. It wasn’t shown on the Suns broadcast. It was only seen on the Nuggets broadcast.
I was watching the Denver broadcast. It wasn’t anything big but I thought it was a nice moment.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:38 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Yes I have no question he has the ability to be an elite defender when he is engaged.

It’s his offensive mentality I have big concerns about

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:23 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:38 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Yes I have no question he has the ability to be an elite defender when he is engaged.

It’s his offensive mentality I have big concerns about
This
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If Ayton is an elite defensive / rebounding big man who can also get 18-20 points within the flow of the game, without the offense being built around him, then that is a very valuable and special player. It'd be great if Ayton were ferocious and attacked the rim and got 30 ppg, but then he'd want a lot more shots and would probably cause Book's scoring to dip and our great swings to get fewer 3s and other such downstream effects. The player Ayton is trying to become would be really valuable to this particular team.

I am a big believer in Ayton at this point. I think he is already good, and I think he is going to keep getting better for years to come. I acknowledge his flaws and agree that you can't build a team around him as the #1 offensive option, sure. But I think he gets too much crap here and is underappreciated among Suns fans online. I wish we'd taken Doncic and probably always will, but I am rooting for our guy.