Game Day: Suns (4-1) @ Nuggets (1-3), Friday 1/1/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (4-1) @ Nuggets (1-3), Friday 1/1/21

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:55 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:32 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:46 pm
But objectively speaking, there is plenty of cause here to be disappointed.
What is that going to do for anybody? Feel free to wallow in it but I won't be joining you.
I'm not wallowing. I'm just not going to bend over backwards trying to spin some narrative that makes me feel better about Ayton. He hasn't been great. He hasn't lived up to the expectations he himself talked his way into. That is reality. And I can accept it. It's not end of the world, and it doesn't rob my Suns fandom of all of its joy. Doesn't mean he can't get better. It's just where he is at this point in year 3 of his career.
Who's bending over backward to spin a narrative? And what is this narrative? And where does continuing to be disappointed get you? I don't get it. Of course he can get better and we all hope he does.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yikes
This thread....
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:37 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:36 pm
I think it is also fair to be tired of listening to the incessant harping on his perceived shortcomings. You don't need to buy into a narrative. The simple reality is that we have no idea what he will end up being, although I am of the school of thought he will figure things out with enough reps. Certainly not an intuitive player like a Kobe or Nash but maybe practice will make perfect. Let's just enjoy the ride.
THANK YOU
Agreed!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:53 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:36 pm
I think it is also fair to be tired of listening to the incessant harping on his perceived shortcomings. You don't need to buy into a narrative. The simple reality is that we have no idea what he will end up being, although I am of the school of thought he will figure things out with enough reps. Certainly not an intuitive player like a Kobe or Nash but maybe practice will make perfect. Let's just enjoy the ride.
Yep, you can be tired of reading it. Everyone is their own person. But they are not 'perceived shortcomings." They are just shortcomings. He is not DOMINAYTON. He can still end up being a very good player. And maybe some day he will live up to what he sold himself as, and what the Suns (and us fans) bought into. But it certainly hasn't happened in his first 2 seasons, or 10% into this one.

And you can enjoy the ride and enjoy being a fan of the team while still thinking Ayton isn't living up to what he says he is. They are not mutually exclusive.
This is true too.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:23 am
Yikes
This thread....
I know, right? Why are we talking about narratives?! This isn't Westworld. Let's just enjoy this team as constructed. That is our reality. How about that?
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I'm all good with the differing opinions but my reaction was wondering if we had a slow start what the threads would be like

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This is funny but is one of the things that all the guards been guilty of

Book was definitely sleeping here but especially on baseline drives I have seen us give up cuts or dives from the top so something I been monitoring

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:01 pm
You and Bone are also extreme optimists. I have never seen either of you ever give up on a player, even when they eventually leave you still think they can develop if they just went to the Spurs (Bender or Len).

It’s the truth!
I am rooting for Ayton but I also want to be realistic. I'm not some kind of unabashed Ayton fan or apologist or something. If he doesn't improve and then wants a max contract extension, I wouldn't give it to him. If we can make our team better by trading him or letting him walk, I am all for that. I don't care that he was drafted #1.

I guess my point is and continues to be, I don't see the benefit in bashing the guy every time he has a mediocre game. There are a lot of people here who just can't wait to pounce on the guy every time he doesn't play well. I say just let the guy play, see how he develops, and decide what's best to do with him when the time comes. Until his last day as a Sun I will be trying to look on the bright side and hoping for the best for him. Not attacking the guy every time he makes a mistake.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:40 am
specialsauce wrote:
You and Bone are also extreme optimists. I have never seen either of you ever give up on a player, even when they eventually leave you still think they can develop if they just went to the Spurs (Bender or Len).

It’s the truth!
I am rooting for Ayton but I also want to be realistic. I'm not some kind of unabashed Ayton fan or apologist or something. If he doesn't improve and then wants a max contract extension, I wouldn't give it to him. If we can make our team better by trading him or letting him walk, I am all for that. I don't care that he was drafted #1.

I guess my point is and continues to be, I don't see the benefit in bashing the guy every time he has a mediocre game. There are a lot of people here who just can't wait to pounce on the guy every time he doesn't play well. I say just let the guy play, see how he develops, and decide what's best to do with him when the time comes. Until his last day as a Sun I will be trying to look on the bright side and hoping for the best for him. Not attacking the guy every time he makes a mistake.
I disagree. I’m going to criticize players when they don’t play well. I want the Suns to win, I really don’t care about his feelings. If he wants praise he has to earn it.

Cap

Post by Cap »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:46 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:40 am
specialsauce wrote:

It’s the truth!

I disagree. I’m going to criticize players when they don’t play well. I want the Suns to win, I really don’t care about his feelings. If he wants praise he has to earn it.
I wouldn’t worry about his feelings. I don’t think he reads the site.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Sorry, guys. People here are not just being pessimists. Ayton is playing worse than he played last year. He’s extremely tentative on the floor (which is controllable). Do we have to just accept that he’s regressing and smile about it? This is a Suns message board and he’s a major part of the Suns present and future. It’s disingenuous to gloss over what’s actually happening on the court to play cheerleader.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

What is happening in the court have us at 4-1, but some people are stuck on waiting for the worse and nitpicking every single visible flaw on our guys. Of course I don’t like Ayton’s unfulfilled promises, as much as I dislike TOBook and GrandPa Paul’s salary. Of course that things can get worse if the team do not address those current problems, but we also can get better if we do.

It’s not about being a brainless cheerleader, it’s about enjoying the ride, specially when we bump into an unexpected really good start. We can go back under .500 and then start feeling miserable, or going miserable all the way to 5-5. But if we can enjoy the 4-1 ride and then suffer for the 1-4 fall, even when all of the doom prophets will tell us how right they were and how wrong I was, even then, at least my cumulative happiness will be higher than theirs. I’m here to enjoy our team (barely cherished in Mexico) but some people seems to be here to share some sort of collective misery. Be my guest, there’s plenty of pessimism around here to share, but let me be as well.

We are in a thread were we collected our third win in a row that put us atop the rankings, and yet we re discussing about how we should be more critical and disappointed by our team!!! (Ayton is part of that 4-1 as well, so yeah, it’s not just Ayton we are talking about)

I said it before, I wouldn’t want to see your children bringing you a B+ grade on elementary school, and then hear about how dissatisfied you are for their lack of generational impact on that school.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Someone uncapable to enjoy imperfection, specially on their hobbies, is on his way to become a very bitter and grumpy person.

jonh

Post by jonh »

I like these conversations so much more than debating whether Bender is going to turn the corner.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

jonh wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:19 pm
I like these conversations so much more than debating whether Bender is going to turn the corner.
Ha, very true. For what it's worth, though, I could see Bender taking a CamPayne-like path back to the NBA someday - get some real playing time overseas, figure out how he can contribute at a high level, gain some confidence, and come back someplace as an inexpensive, useful bench piece. I know it may seem like he's had his shot and blown it, but he's still just barely 23 years old.

Among the many, many mistakes of the McDonough era was not letting Bender stay overseas for a year or two after drafting him. He got pushed into a situation that he was absolutely not ready for at all.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m on Bender Island til I die.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:29 pm
I’m on Bender Island til I die.
Hi neighbor!!

Guilty pleasures I guess...

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Ayton is gonna be fine. Y’all trippin.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:01 pm
What is happening in the court have us at 4-1, but some people are stuck on waiting for the worse and nitpicking every single visible flaw on our guys. Of course I don’t like Ayton’s unfulfilled promises, as much as I dislike TOBook and GrandPa Paul’s salary. Of course that things can get worse if the team do not address those current problems, but we also can get better if we do.

It’s not about being a brainless cheerleader, it’s about enjoying the ride, specially when we bump into an unexpected really good start. We can go back under .500 and then start feeling miserable, or going miserable all the way to 5-5. But if we can enjoy the 4-1 ride and then suffer for the 1-4 fall, even when all of the doom prophets will tell us how right they were and how wrong I was, even then, at least my cumulative happiness will be higher than theirs. I’m here to enjoy our team (barely cherished in Mexico) but some people seems to be here to share some sort of collective misery. Be my guest, there’s plenty of pessimism around here to share, but let me be as well.

We are in a thread were we collected our third win in a row that put us atop the rankings, and yet we re discussing about how we should be more critical and disappointed by our team!!! (Ayton is part of that 4-1 as well, so yeah, it’s not just Ayton we are talking about)

I said it before, I wouldn’t want to see your children bringing you a B+ grade on elementary school, and then hear about how dissatisfied you are for their lack of generational impact on that school.
I thought the Suns were 5-1?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:57 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:01 pm

I thought the Suns were 5-1?
That’s correct, I guess it makes it even more valid then.