Game Day: Suns (4-1) @ Nuggets (1-3), Friday 1/1/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: Game Day: Suns (4-1) @ Nuggets (1-3), Friday 1/1/21

Post by In2ition »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:35 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:57 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:01 pm
What is happening in the court have us at 4-1, but some people are stuck on waiting for the worse and nitpicking every single visible flaw on our guys. Of course I don’t like Ayton’s unfulfilled promises, as much as I dislike TOBook and GrandPa Paul’s salary. Of course that things can get worse if the team do not address those current problems, but we also can get better if we do.

It’s not about being a brainless cheerleader, it’s about enjoying the ride, specially when we bump into an unexpected really good start. We can go back under .500 and then start feeling miserable, or going miserable all the way to 5-5. But if we can enjoy the 4-1 ride and then suffer for the 1-4 fall, even when all of the doom prophets will tell us how right they were and how wrong I was, even then, at least my cumulative happiness will be higher than theirs. I’m here to enjoy our team (barely cherished in Mexico) but some people seems to be here to share some sort of collective misery. Be my guest, there’s plenty of pessimism around here to share, but let me be as well.

We are in a thread were we collected our third win in a row that put us atop the rankings, and yet we re discussing about how we should be more critical and disappointed by our team!!! (Ayton is part of that 4-1 as well, so yeah, it’s not just Ayton we are talking about)

I said it before, I wouldn’t want to see your children bringing you a B+ grade on elementary school, and then hear about how dissatisfied you are for their lack of generational impact on that school.
I thought the Suns were 5-1?
That’s correct, I guess it makes it even more valid then.
Sorry, I'm not trying to discount what you are saying. I agree with you that we should enjoy our team and not nitpick every little thing. Heck, you could say that it's a good indication that this team is going to get much better when these things turn around.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:47 am
I'm all good with the differing opinions but my reaction was wondering if we had a slow start what the threads would be like
Good question. Some people will just never be happy and/or just like to argue. :) I'm enjoying the team and the ride. Hoping DA gets better with age and time. He's got all the physical tools.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:19 pm
I like these conversations so much more than debating whether Bender is going to turn the corner.
:lol:
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I thought Ayton had his best game against the Clippers. He was fouled in the paint shooting the ball several times where he was 6 of 7. That is progress.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:28 am
I thought Ayton had his best game against the Clippers. He was fouled in the paint shooting the ball several times where he was 6 of 7. That is progress.
I agree. DA was much more assertive and confident in the paint last night.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

That's 2 good games in a row for him!

Indy

Post by Indy »

rhylek wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:29 am
That's 2 good games in a row for him!
exactly! progress

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:40 am
specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:01 pm
You and Bone are also extreme optimists. I have never seen either of you ever give up on a player, even when they eventually leave you still think they can develop if they just went to the Spurs (Bender or Len).

It’s the truth!
I am rooting for Ayton but I also want to be realistic. I'm not some kind of unabashed Ayton fan or apologist or something. If he doesn't improve and then wants a max contract extension, I wouldn't give it to him. If we can make our team better by trading him or letting him walk, I am all for that. I don't care that he was drafted #1.

I guess my point is and continues to be, I don't see the benefit in bashing the guy every time he has a mediocre game. There are a lot of people here who just can't wait to pounce on the guy every time he doesn't play well. I say just let the guy play, see how he develops, and decide what's best to do with him when the time comes. Until his last day as a Sun I will be trying to look on the bright side and hoping for the best for him. Not attacking the guy every time he makes a mistake.
I agree with that completely, even though I'm one of the bigger Ayton haters on the site. Reacting to all of the individual plays doesn't make sense. It's his trajectory that counts. I'll see where he's at when we hit the playoffs.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:51 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:29 pm
I’m on Bender Island til I die.
Hi neighbor!!

Guilty pleasures I guess...
Bender and DA going one on one in practice would be a thing of beauty.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:51 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Hi neighbor!!

So many at the rim layups. It would be like watching a WNBA practice but with 7ft men.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Bender is currently back playing for Maccabi Tel Aviv. His numbers aren't very gaudy. He averaged 10 ppg for an "Israeli Super League," but then only 5 ppg in the EuroLeague. It may finally be time to admit that he isn't very good. Sigh.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/in ... der-1.html

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:08 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:51 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Shabazz wrote:
Hi neighbor!!

So many at the rim layups. It would be like watching a WNBA practice but with 7ft men.
:lol: Perfect description.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:41 pm
Informer, I seem to recall seeing a few posts calling CP3 "Coach Paul" and alluding to him being a cause for concern with this team, either from a leadership perspective or elsewhere. What exactly does this mean and what is the issue with CP3 you have? I haven't followed his career closely other than knowing he's fiercely competitive and demanding of his teammates, which has rubbed a few stars with big egos on his teams in the past wrong.
This post answers some of your question:
INFORMER wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:26 pm
The narrative around Chris Paul's winning acumen is a little rich. He was a key facilitator of the underachieving, petulant Clipper culture for years. I think his first year in Houston, he truly elevated the team, but year two was very lackluster, and he was again complicit in that team not being able to defeat an injured Warriors squad. His work with the Thunder last year was unquestionably impressive though.
I call him Coach Paul because of all the shots were fed of him "coaching up" his teammates, and how much Monty and Jimmy Jones point to that aspect of his role with the Suns. I think it is overrated, and I don't think his history in the league supports wanting this guy to mold your team.

I think it is pretty brutal how much of the cap he takes up, so if the Suns added him as a free agent, like they did with Nash, I would still feel like there was a bit of a drawback. But that isn't what they did. They're paying him this huge salary, PLUS they gave up three assets. That is really hard to swallow. I think you could have turned Rubio and Oubre into 3-4 good players, either through trades and/or creating caps space to sign free agents.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:41 pm
Informer, I seem to recall seeing a few posts calling CP3 "Coach Paul" and alluding to him being a cause for concern with this team, either from a leadership perspective or elsewhere. What exactly does this mean and what is the issue with CP3 you have? I haven't followed his career closely other than knowing he's fiercely competitive and demanding of his teammates, which has rubbed a few stars with big egos on his teams in the past wrong.
This post answers some of your question:
INFORMER wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:26 pm
The narrative around Chris Paul's winning acumen is a little rich. He was a key facilitator of the underachieving, petulant Clipper culture for years. I think his first year in Houston, he truly elevated the team, but year two was very lackluster, and he was again complicit in that team not being able to defeat an injured Warriors squad. His work with the Thunder last year was unquestionably impressive though.
I call him Coach Paul because of all the shots were fed of him "coaching up" his teammates, and how much Monty and Jimmy Jones point to that aspect of his role with the Suns. I think it is overrated, and I don't think his history in the league supports wanting this guy to mold your team.

I think it is pretty brutal how much of the cap he takes up, so if the Suns added him as a free agent, like they did with Nash, I would still feel like there was a bit of a drawback. But that isn't what they did. They're paying him this huge salary, PLUS they gave up three assets. That is really hard to swallow. I think you could have turned Rubio and Oubre into 3-4 good players, either through trades and/or creating caps space to sign free agents.
I think you are right about it being a little overrated. I do know that OKC was 5-10 to start the season last yr, so it took them a little bit of time before they got it together. Let's hope the Suns start "getting it together" in another 4 games or so and the starters start playing like we think they should together.