Game Day: Raptors (1-5) @ Suns (5-2), Wed 1/6/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Game Day: Raptors (1-5) @ Suns (5-2), Wed 1/6/21

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Interesting enough
It just goes to show how much we think of and expect of Book as most feels like he's been playing somewhere between poor and just Ok

His last 4 games are 24 n 6 while shooting 52%
Will be nice when he actually starts to play something :D
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Paul’s leadership is great and all but I’m going to need him to start shooting better than 42%/33%.

This was not a fun game to watch. We are lucky we hit so many threes because we just let Siakam do whatever he wanted.

It’s nice to be 6-2 and have higher expectations. Cam Johnson was money tonight.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:33 pm
Paul’s leadership is great and all but I’m going to need him to start shooting better than 42%/33%.

This was not a fun game to watch. We are lucky we hit so many threes because we just let Siakam do whatever he wanted.

It’s nice to be 6-2 and have higher expectations. Cam Johnson was money tonight.
CP3 passed at least 2 open 3's this game

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:00 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:48 pm
Suns build a good lead

Loses the good lead

Build a good lead

Loses the good lead

Then rebuild the good lead.
You usually win when you do that.
The trend continues.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:05 pm
Cap wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:03 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:01 pm
It was clearly not a flagrant but it gave everyone a good breather.
Hard contact with the head gets review.
I don’t have a problem with the review just saying I don’t think it was a flagrant.
You play down in the land of the giants, you’re bound to get slapped in the face now and then.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:15 pm
Raps are doing a great job bullshitting around and wasting time with the refs to stop the Suns' runs.
Not good enough.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:27 pm
Siakam looking around confused because he didn't get a whistle on that drive & frankly so was I. They called about everything else for him.
It was probably the one time this game they didn’t call a foul. I’d be confused to.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:30 pm
Good win. Raptors drop to 1-6 and don't even get to play in their home town. Feel really bad for them, just not too bad. :p
They have won a championship. We have not. I will not ever feel sorry for them until we win a championship. Then chances are still slim.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good to get another win. We are tied with the Lakers for top record in the West. It’s a much different home court experience without our fans in the arena. Did you all hear a loud electronic buzz the whole game? I wasn’t sure if it was the FoxAZ broadcast or the sound inside the arena.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The thing that annoyed me the most about the game was the 60 cycle hum from the Suns PA system for the entire game. The thing that I enjoyed the most about the game was the Suns won. As Crowder said during the post game interview “We sure gotta lot about of work to do.” The Suns are definitely a work in progress but they have some sharp tools in the shed.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:08 am
Good to get another win. We are tied with the Lakers for top record in the West. It’s a much different home court experience without our fans in the arena. Did you all hear a loud electronic buzz the whole game? I wasn’t sure if it was the FoxAZ broadcast or the sound inside the arena.
I think it was the broadcast

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

just some observations:
Our starters seem to be constantly getting off to slow starts.
Paul doesnt seem to look for his own shot enough and booker seems to force it a little at times.
Ayton did a good job on the boards
What happened to Baynes? Didnt have an impact
Loved the bench for the most part and have since the bubble started. Dario does lots of good things. Payne and CJ were good.
Somewhat concerned we couldnt stop siakim. He was basically just doing straight line driver or a driver with a spin at the end. Wasnt crowder lauded for his defense? i thought they may have put ayton on him at some point but we didnt seem to do much different to slow him down. Let me know if I missed something there.

Our closing of games hasnt been great. that sounds weird to say in a win but it seems to follow a similar pattern like the Utah game and a few others.
We have a double digit lead late. Booker holds the ball too much and gets a few turnovers ( got a 8 second violation because he wouldnt pass it to an open paul). We start losing our nerve - had to call 2 timeouts because we coudnt get the ball inbounds.
Booker eventually hits the dagger shot, but 1.5 mins earlier it wouldnt have seemed necessary. Hope they can continue to work on this. Does anyone else see this?

Happy to have the win.
Hope we pound the piston and then rose seeks a buyout to come join us :)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I watched all of this game, but it was hard to focus with everything going on in the news today. I'm kind of surprised the Raptors have such a bad record. I know they've lost important players and I know they're playing in Tampa Bay. But they have a lot of talent and are well coached. I thought they played us pretty well overall. And Siakam looked pretty good despite the general consensus that he's having a rough season so far.

This team is a lot of fun to watch. Our swingmen are delightful. Tonight Crowder stood out and Bridges struggled with his shooting and foul trouble. But next game Bridges or somebody else will be the hero. Cam Johnson, every shot he takes I assume is going in. And all of these guys are just getting so many good looks lately. Paul and others are really finding them and getting them great shots. And then I have to mention Payne, who is so pleasant to watch. We are really lucky to have a backup PG like him. When Chris Paul sits down I really don't worry about it. Payne is a stellar backup. He had 10 assists tonight off the bench in only 16 minutes of play (!). Saric has looked like such a smart and savvy veteran this year. Totally different player than early last season when we first got him. Ayton was a bit quiet offensively but did grab 16 rebounds. Overall we have one of the nastiest 8-man rotations in the league (starters + Cam, Payne, and Saric). That may bode well for the playoffs when rotations tighten and you want about 7-8 guys getting the bulk of the minutes.

Booker still doesn't look quite right to me yet. His numbers are okay, but to my eyes he seems a little out of the offensive flow at times. I do think he doesn't mesh with Chris Paul as well as our other players. Paul is great with catch-and-shoot swingmen and with pick-and-roll bigs. I don't think he works as well with another guard who is primarily a scorer but also likes to handle the ball and create. If anything Booker may need to just focus more on moving without the ball rather than waiting for Paul to let him run a play. But maybe that's not how Book wants to play. The recent years of "point Book" may have been bad for him in this new lineup.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This was another professional win. It was a little tight throughout, but it never really felt like the Suns wouldn't have command to take the game convincingly at the end. It would've been over sooner with a broader margin if Mikal and Booker didn't go 0-3 from 3 on three straight possessions while the refs started gifting the Raptors non-calls.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

This loomed as a danger game for me so nice to come away with a win. It’s also very nice to be 6-2 and feel like we haven’t really clicked yet. Hopefully the best is yet to come.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Not a ton of postgame quotes relative to the game but here are a few. Like others have said, doesn't feel like the starters have clicked for whatever reason. I think Paul's been dribbling too much and should be looking to score more off the PnR just to keep the defense honest. And in general, he's been pounding the ball not really doing much of anything as the shotclock winds down. Book looks more comfortable with the 2nd group where the bal flows more and he's a true #1 option. Also should note our best lineups I believe include Cam and/or Mikal and not necessarily Crowder, tho he's hardly a problem.

Can't say enough about Dario and how good he's been off the bench. Looks much more suited to play against backups where he's just not as overmatched physically and athletically. Good basketball plays just tend to happen when he's out there.

Cam Payne...what a steal so far. He's building the case that his play isn't such a fluke and he's a legit contributor. Love seeing him continue to play well and make a difference.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

As usual, nice boost from the bench. Payne with 10 assists, Saric and Johnson with double figures.
Crowder continues to shoot well. Booker had a quiet, solid game.
Ayton played well on defense and grabbed a bunch of rebounds. Still struggles with catching the ball and going to the hoop instinctively—too many times he caught the pass and paused/dribbled/brought the ball down below his shoulders and a Raptor knocked it away.
Bridges also struggled a bit with ball handling, but he's still working on his game.
Siakam was due a strong game, so no problem with his showing. Toronto has great guards to go along with Siakam, and Anunoby is a developing talent. Powell and Boucher off the bench were solid. Center is a problem—Baynes looks ponderously slow and Len contributed little. I’ve read about Siakam’s attitude and it may trace to the lack of help he gets in the middle …
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:25 am

Cam Payne...what a steal so far. He's building the case that his play isn't such a fluke and he's a legit contributor. Love seeing him continue to play well and make a difference.

Agreed. It is great to see. I am was pretty hesitant going into the season with him as our only backup PG, but so far he has quelled my doubts.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:35 am
This was another professional win.
perfect description