Video Games

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Video Games

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:12 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:11 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:04 pm
I use Virtual Desktop to stream SteamVR from my desktop too sometimes when I need more space in the living room for VR. Works great wirelessly.
So the Oculus Link is only necessary for the really high memory games?
Yes, basically.
Hmm.. I can't decide if it's worth the extra $100.

What's my best value considering the PC I already have?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:16 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:12 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:11 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:04 pm
I use Virtual Desktop to stream SteamVR from my desktop too sometimes when I need more space in the living room for VR. Works great wirelessly.
So the Oculus Link is only necessary for the really high memory games?
Yes, basically.
Hmm.. I can't decide if it's worth the extra $100.

What's my best value considering the PC I already have?
Sorry. I mean the link is only necessary for PCVR games. Games that aren't made for the Quest 2. Standalone Quest 2 games, you'll never have a problem with storage. And you'd never be able to use Quest 2 storage for PCVR games since they don't run standalone on the Quest. They run on the PC and display on the Quest 2 via a link cable (or wireless with Virtual Desktop, a Quest 2 program on the Quest 2).

64gb would suffice for all of your purposes.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

OK. I think I understand. The extra $100 I'm referring to is for the Oculus Link fiber optic cable.

But if I can stream something from Steam with Vitrual Desktop, Oculus Link is kind of pointless unless I want the best resolution, right?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:40 pm
OK. I think I understand. The extra $100 I'm referring to is for the Oculus Link fiber optic cable.

But if I can stream something from Steam with Vitrual Desktop, Oculus Link is kind of pointless unless I want the best resolution, right?
Yeah. Mind you, streaming with Virtual Desktop requires a pretty high end wireless router with a good internet connection to prevent latency. For PCVR, the best experience will be with a link cable. The Oculus branded one though isn't necessary. The fiber they use with the cable just allows it to be a longer cable. I bought this one and it provides identical quality and latency.

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cool. Good to know. I wasn't sure if it was some proprietary design bullshit, a la Apple.

I might have talked myself into getting the Oculus 2 aided by your advice and info. I'll let you know if or when it happens.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

One last question (maybe).

Are the games cross-platform? A game bought on Steam can be played with people who bought theirs from the Oculus store, for example.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:42 pm
One last question (maybe).

Are the games cross-platform? A game bought on Steam can be played with people who bought theirs from the Oculus store, for example.
Many are, yes. Also, if you buy the Quest version of a game, the desktop Oculus version is yours as well and vice versa. This is great because if you use a cable and PCVR from time to time, since a high end gaming desktop is more capable, the Oculus desktop version tends to have better graphic fidelity in some cases.

But cross platform, some games do support this so you can play PC VR gamers on Steam while you're on standalone Quest. Depends on the game and developer.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:40 pm
Cool. Good to know. I wasn't sure if it was some proprietary design bullshit, a la Apple.

I might have talked myself into getting the Oculus 2 aided by your advice and info. I'll let you know if or when it happens.
I believe on the Oculus FAQ, on their official website, they even say other cables work as well and even go as far as saying the Anker 3rd party cable was specifically tested with no issues.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

The only caveat I'll add to all of this is the Quest 2 requires you to have a Facebook account. Not a problem for me since I don't keep mine very personal other than the occasional updated baby photos from time to time. I know many people are anti Facebook and would never have an account so if you don't have or don't plan of having a Facebook, the Quest 2 won't work.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hey guys--exciting news--I spent a couple hours tonight playing Blaster Master.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:11 pm
The only caveat I'll add to all of this is the Quest 2 requires you to have a Facebook account. Not a problem for me since I don't keep mine very personal other than the occasional updated baby photos from time to time. I know many people are anti Facebook and would never have an account so if you don't have or don't plan of having a Facebook, the Quest 2 won't work.
Yeah, I've never had a Facebook account. I guess this is how they'll get me even though I already use Instagram.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:49 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Yeah, I've never had a Facebook account. I guess this is how they'll get me even though I already use Instagram.
Doesn’t mean you have to use it.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:06 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Yeah. Or maybe I'll make it a Deep State parody account.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:47 pm
Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:06 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Yeah. Or maybe I'll make it a Deep State parody account.
Heh. There you go. Have some fun with it.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:22 pm
Loved Blaster Master! Did you play on Switch or an emulator? I need to revisit that game. Such a classic.

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:55 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:22 pm
Loved Blaster Master! Did you play on Switch or an emulator? I need to revisit that game. Such a classic.
I have OpenEMU on my mac book and haven't used it until yesterday after reading this thread. I don't own the original game (I only have about a dozen original NES cartridges). But yeah, I really enjoy it. After I beat it I think I am going to play A Link to the Past.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:09 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I believe on the Oculus FAQ, on their official website, they even say other cables work as well and even go as far as saying the Anker 3rd party cable was specifically tested with no issues.
OK, my Quest 2 is scheduled to be delivered late next week (you SOB).

I'm on the hunt for a long Anker USB C to 3.0 cable because it seems that most of the games I want to play aren't on the Quest 2 store page. I prefer to buy games through Steam as well.

I'm a little skeptical of my wifi router, but I'll try to position it better.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:42 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:09 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I'm on the hunt for a long Anker USB C to 3.0 cable because it seems that most of the games I want to play aren't on the Quest 2 store page. I prefer to buy games through Steam as well.

I'm a little skeptical of my wifi router, but I'll try to position it better.
You're in for a treat! There's something liberating about using VR in any single space of your home without any wires. The PCVR experience wired is great too. Let me know if you find an Anker cable that gives you the length you need.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:42 pm
Wait, what?! Where did you order it from? Mine isn't scheduled until early Feb and I ordered before you.

ETA: Just went and looked and they upgraded it to Jan. 25. Still... Maybe because I went with the 256 GB.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm still waiting to order the elite strap with battery. It's been sold out ever since I first ordered.
"Be Legendary."