Video Games

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Video Games

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:26 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:42 pm
OK, my Quest 2 is scheduled to be delivered late next week (you SOB).
Wait, what?! Where did you order it from? Mine isn't scheduled until early Feb and I ordered before you.

ETA: Just went and looked and they upgraded it to Jan. 25. Still... Maybe because I went with the 256 GB.
That's probably right. I ordered the 64GB from the Oculus site.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:33 pm
I'm still waiting to order the elite strap with battery. It's been sold out ever since I first ordered.
I thought about getting that stuff but ultimately decided to give it a run without. 2 hour battery life is a little short, but I'm not sure I'd play that long continuously unless I'm sharing it with others at my place.

Just using the USB C cable to charge while playing is also a cheaper option.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I opted for a slim Anker battery pack that I use velcro straps to secure to the back of my Quest 2 on the back of my head with the included head strap. $30. Gets me an extra 3 to 4 hours of use if I ever wanted to go that long plus balances the weight of the headset and makes things more comfortable.

I have a 3rd party Halo strap coming in the next week or two. We'll see if it makes things more comfortable otherwise I'll look into an elite strap. Those had quality issues and many people experienced the sides breaking so that made me hesitant at first. I hope that's an isolated issue.

As is, I don't find the default strap uncomfortable, though it could surely be better.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm barely a novice with this stuff.

I read that Virtual Desktop requires a 5GHz wifi connection. I think my router is sufficient, but how does it look to you guys?

https://m.skbroadband.com/eng/Page.do?menu_id=H03010300

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:29 pm

I read that Virtual Desktop requires a 5GHz wifi connection. I think my router is sufficient, but how does it look to you guys?

I think it will suffice. Ensure your PC is connected via ethernet to your router as it will be then streaming over WiFi to your Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:29 pm

I think it will suffice. Ensure your PC is connected via ethernet to your router as it will be then streaming over WiFi to your Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop.
Thanks. My PC has always been directly connected. WiFi is just used for my phone and other devices.

I ordered the 10 Anker cable today and it'll take two weeks, but at least I can still use virtual desktop. Kinda sucks that it's a paid app, though.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Anyone playing Valorant?
This quarantine it's the game that got me going. Sad that I suck so bad at FPS games.

I started Control but stopped, was hoping to change my Videocard to play it better, but no chance with the current prices and dollar price.

Now I'm procrastinating to start a lot of games I bought, Red Dead 2, Monster Hunter, Assassins Origins.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:52 pm
Anyone playing Valorant?
This quarantine it's the game that got me going. Sad that I suck so bad at FPS games.

I started Control but stopped, was hoping to change my Videocard to play it better, but no chance with the current prices and dollar price.

Now I'm procrastinating to start a lot of games I bought, Red Dead 2, Monster Hunter, Assassins Origins.
I've heard some good thing about Valorant. I just finally got Modern Warfare (2019 version) for PC and gave it a go and boy do I suck at FPS online multiplayer. It's been a long time.

What graphics card do you have? I have a 2070 Super. Read Dead 2 is pretty gorgeous, for sure.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:25 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Anyone playing Valorant?

I've heard some good thing about Valorant. I just finally got Modern Warfare (2019 version) for PC and gave it a go and boy do I suck at FPS online multiplayer. It's been a long time.

What graphics card do you have? I have a 2070 Super. Read Dead 2 is pretty gorgeous, for sure.
Do you have any interest in VR FPS games? Population: One, Pavlov and Onward all look interesting to me. P:O is cross platform and Pavlov has a lower spec free version on SideQuest.

That also reminds me, what have you used from SideQuest?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:37 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Furlanfufi wrote:
Anyone playing Valorant?

Do you have any interest in VR FPS games? Population: One, Pavlov and Onward all look interesting to me. P:O is cross platform and Pavlov has a lower spec free version on SideQuest.

I've got Pavlov and Onward. I prefer Onward (and it's native on the Quest 2 so you don't need to do anything from the PC and can play anywhere). Contractors is a really good FPS but if you are new to VR and haven't played in awhile, you'll have to play in small doses initially as it will get you motion sick. Population: One looks cool but I've never been into the battle royale shooters.

I use Sidequest. It's really easy. I've purchased To The Top (insane game) and sideloaded Pavlov and a few others. The best Sidequest (and one of the best overall VR experiences, believe it or not) is Doom, Half Life, Quake, Quake 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, all ported over by a guy named Dr. Beef. Those are AMAZING in VR.

https://sidequestvr.com/community/7/dr-beef

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Furlanfufi wrote:
Anyone playing Valorant?

I have a 1070ti
Can't complain much about the performance, but I play on a 4k tv (that I use as my monitor)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:47 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:37 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Furlanfufi wrote:
Anyone playing Valorant?

I've got Pavlov and Onward. I prefer Onward (and it's native on the Quest 2 so you don't need to do anything from the PC and can play anywhere). Contractors is a really good FPS but if you are new to VR and haven't played in awhile, you'll have to play in small doses initially as it will get you motion sick. Population: One looks cool but I've never been into the battle royale shooters.

I use Sidequest. It's really easy. I've purchased To The Top (insane game) and sideloaded Pavlov and a few others. The best Sidequest (and one of the best overall VR experiences, believe it or not) is Doom, Half Life, Quake, Quake 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, all ported over by a guy named Dr. Beef. Those are AMAZING in VR.

https://sidequestvr.com/community/7/dr-beef
Good stuff. To The Top looks cool and is probably accessible enough for my girlfriend to enjoy. Same goes for those classic games you mentioned. Her and my friends have never tried VR so I'm trying to get a few things that aren't intimidating or possibly dangerous for complete newbies. Enjoyable free content is always a good thing as well.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm having a hard time deciding where to spend my money first. Eleven Table Tennis is the only game I'm completely sold on because it seems to be the standout in it's entire genre library of two games. I'll also get Alyx, but I don't really want to jump right into that one. I'll save it for later and try to pick it up if it goes on sale.

I pretty much change my mind with every review I read or YouTube video I watch. YouTubers in particular are kind of annoying because almost every review is positive. For every Beat Saber fan there's a Pistol Whip fan, and then there's always a cheaper or free proxy on SideQuest. It's the same for pretty much every genre. I'd be inclined to pick up the games which are being played by people I know, but with the time difference and possible latency issues, I'm not sure if even that would be wise.

Virtual Desktop is probably the only other necessity in my situation. I'm planning to try out streaming Suns games with VD and Big Screen. Maybe sometime we could get a group of Suns fans to watch games there together if it works well.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Many games like Pistol Whip, for example, are played multiplayer only by leaderboards. Which works rather well. I get alerted regularly when my friends Stella or Alex beat on of my scores on a level which drives me to go back and try to up their score.

Eleven Table Tennis is probably a definitive one, if you were to only buy one game, on the Quest 2. It all depends on the genre that most interests you. I take advantage of the return policy. Most games have a 2-3 hour playtime and 2-3 day return window. You can bet your ass that if the game doesn't excite me after and hour or so and I don't feel like its worth it, I return it. Have done so for 5 or 6 games already.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:06 am
Most games have a 2-3 hour playtime and 2-3 day return window. You can bet your ass that if the game doesn't excite me after and hour or so and I don't feel like its worth it, I return it. Have done so for 5 or 6 games already.
Yeah, that's something I'll have to take advantage of. I'm not used to having that opportunity with video games.

I saw that my Quest arrived in Korea yesterday morning when tracking the delivery. Usually that means I will receive the delivery the next day or at most two days later, which would still be a day earlier than the estimated delivery date.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I bought Eleven Table Tennis yesterday when my Quest 2 arrived. It's fun and I'm happy with the purchase, but man, I suck. I can barely get 2-3 points against the AI on medium.

I bought Pistol Whip today and am really surprised at how much I enjoy it. I can't really say it's a "workout", but it definitely made me sweat. I got a good 40 minutes in before I had to stop and charge the headset. This was after playing table tennis for 45 minutes or so, IIRC. My only problem with Pistol Whip is that it makes me drift to the edge of my play space a lot. My area is about 6'x8' and I hit the wall twice in the short time I played. I think getting a small rug to keep me in the right spot will help with that.

SideQuest is pretty cool, but a lot of the products are cumbersome. I couldn't get Pavlov: Shack to load, for example. I've read up on how to troubleshoot it, but just haven't cared enough to sit down and do it yet. I tried some other free stuff instead.

The Racket NX demo is pretty cool, something I would consider buying if it were $10 or less, but probably not at the current $20 price.

The Hibow prerelease was fun, but it's too advanced for me right now. That one has a movement mechanic that gave me my first little queasy feeling. Nothing serious, but I definitely felt it.

VRWorkout is kind of a nightmare. It's supposed to use hand tracking, but I couldn't figure it out. When I finally got into a workout it was really hard to follow.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:27 am
I bought Eleven Table Tennis yesterday when my Quest 2 arrived. It's fun and I'm happy with the purchase, but man, I suck. I can barely get 2-3 points against the AI on medium.

I bought Pistol Whip today and am really surprised at how much I enjoy it. I can't really say it's a "workout", but it definitely made me sweat. I got a good 40 minutes in before I had to stop and charge the headset. This was after playing table tennis for 45 minutes or so, IIRC. My only problem with Pistol Whip is that it makes me drift to the edge of my play space a lot. My area is about 6'x8' and I hit the wall twice in the short time I played. I think getting a small rug to keep me in the right spot will help with that.

SideQuest is pretty cool, but a lot of the products are cumbersome. I couldn't get Pavlov: Shack to load, for example. I've read up on how to troubleshoot it, but just haven't cared enough to sit down and do it yet. I tried some other free stuff instead.

The Racket NX demo is pretty cool, something I would consider buying if it were $10 or less, but probably not at the current $20 price.

The Hibow prerelease was fun, but it's too advanced for me right now. That one has a movement mechanic that gave me my first little queasy feeling. Nothing serious, but I definitely felt it.

VRWorkout is kind of a nightmare. It's supposed to use hand tracking, but I couldn't figure it out. When I finally got into a workout it was really hard to follow.
Forgot to mention EchoVR. Snag that. It's free and something we could play together sometime. Really cool movement mechanics (think Iron Man with wrist thrusters). It's free in the Quest 2 Store.

Racket NX is awesome. I've been wanting to play co-op with someone. If it ever goes on sale, I'll let you know.

I love Pistol Whip. Good choice. I also love the music in that game. Once you start shooting the enemies in rhythm to the BPM, it's really awesome. That's how you get super high scores since it creates multipliers.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wait, what?! Where did you order it from? Mine isn't scheduled until early Feb and I ordered before you.

ETA: Just went and looked and they upgraded it to Jan. 25. Still... Maybe because I went with the 256 GB.
Any news Bone?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:40 pm
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Any news Bone?
I get it tomorrow! Can't wait!

Also, I was finally able to order the elite strap with battery. Not scheduled to get it until mid march!
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:57 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:40 pm
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Any news Bone?
I get it tomorrow! Can't wait!

Also, I was finally able to order the elite strap with battery. Not scheduled to get it until mid march!
You're in for a treat!