Game Day: Suns (6-2) @ Pistons (1-7), Fri 1/8/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (6-2) @ Pistons (1-7), Fri 1/8/21

Post by Superbone »

Danimal wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:44 pm
Our lame ass sweeky clean college boy podcast guys won’t ask any hard questions to the coach’s or players don’t worry. Simple questions. Why did you keep shooting 3s. Why did you fail to make any in game adjustments.

William’s image just went down a massive peg. It wasnt like rose went off for 60. You handed them the game dick head.
Fuck you suns for a shit decade and for today’s today’s shit show. Again pistons 1-7 before this. Fuck you coach that was just pathetic
And I thought I took the loss badly...
"Be Legendary."

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Calm down guys, just one game. We'll be alright!
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Man, we went super cold down the stretch and especially in OT. Felt like we could not buy a bucket while everything they put up went in. Their bigs gave us trouble. Our 3-point shooting especially went way down, I suppose due to their zone defense. I'm not very good at analyzing defense, but whatever they were doing to us, we couldn't buy a basket and everybody seemed cold and tightened up.

I like Chris Paul, but I don't know if I really like the flow of our offense when he and Booker are both in the game. I do think we need to figure that out, as well as figure out how to beat a zone.

Hard to win with 3-point shooting numbers like these:

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267283

Got to hand it to Grant. He played great for Detroit tonight. I was skeptical and didn't want the Suns to go after him this offseason, but he's putting up great numbers. 31 and 10 tonight. Bey also looked good; 10 points and 4 boards.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:40 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:50 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:02 pm
Had to go check ESPN play by play
It was 54 - 31 with 6:07 left in the half !!

Those 6mins were a real mood killer
Wow
These 18mins been a real mood killer
I had a big grin on my face during the second quarter and then they’ve got got to ruin it all. :(
Yea that's the crazy part
We were going nuclear and I also could not stop smiling then things changed so quickly
Unbelievable :roll:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Still have a hangover from the game...this loss was coming. I thought the Pistons couldn't really matchup but we were the ones overmatched at the 3/4 spot. We're having trouble with longer, physical swings - Jerami Grant and Siakam - and Blake had his way with us too. They're a scrappy team and just waited out the hot 3pt shooting to work themselves back into the game. Kind of the opposite of the Clips game, except our lead wasn't as big and the Pistons were able to come back. But we've gone through cold stretches before and kind of held on instead of finding other offense that works. Bit us in the ass this time.

This one probably falls on Monty for not adjusting to the zone and telling guys to start attacking the basket. I know you need to keep shooting but the Pistons and refs turned it into a grind-fest and they reward teams that respond to that type of game with physicality. We've seen these types of games before from the refs. It's like they want to see if you win a slower, halfcourt, playoff like slugfest.

Also thought Monty should've stuck with Payne longer or brought him back in the 4th. I'm not turning on Paul but he's gotta be better with the starters and halfcourt offense. He's dribbling too much and without a purpose. He dribbles through his legs for 15 seconds with his defender in front of him and then passes it off to Crowder or Book for a shot when the defense is ready and waiting. Get Payne out there who moves the ball, gets to the basket, brings some energy and pace. He only played 15 minutes to Paul's 38 and Paul I believe came back in with 9minutes left in the 4th which is too much time left.

Feels like the scouting reports are out now and guys like Crowder, Bridges and Cam are being run off the line. Bridges was mostly quiet but good defensively, thought Crowder struggled a bit between Griffin and Grant. Cam played well and I like seeing him in the 27-28 minute range.

Book still needs to pick his spots for taking over the offense. He's our franchise - when we're cold, he needs to make it happen.

DA was pretty good again especially on the boards and seems to be finding consistency on offense. Still can't catch a bounce pass from Paul tho as he fumbled another one. For a guy with such soft hands shooting the ball, it's pretty crazy how bad his hands are catching and holding it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This is the 2nd unit

CP-DA lob

DA putback

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

And all the above tweets is y this loss bothered me so much
When we messed around with the Kings I was like ok it's a back to back the guys will learn their lesson and deal with them the next night
That situation was effort which was easy to adjust. This game was matchup based and now we get Sabonis who is levels better in the post plus add in talents like Brogdon n Dipo and it's just a bad way to go into this next game
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Monty threw Saric out with Ayton as a 4/5 combo for a bigger frontcourt against Blake and Plumlee I think. He hasn't done that much, if at all, this season and I'm still not sure what to make of it. Monty seemed to be trying different combos in general tho last night.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

A who lot of "shouldas" by Monty.

Why didn't he notice this going on during the game and make some adjustments?

This game was also a great example of what having only two dependable big men is going to be like all season. Teams with big forwards are going to try to post up Crowder and Johnson.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Watching this game and seeing Grant and Griffin push us around a bit I thought, plus the zone, I thought: This is how the Lakers should play us. Go at us hard with big players like AD, Lebron, Harrell, Gasol, etc. and just try to overpower us.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Any why exactly did they sign E'Twaun Moore if they're not going to give him some minutes when they need outside shooting?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Suns seemed like they were getting open shots from outside. They just weren’t hitting anything.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They were open shots, we just should have adjusted and attacked the rim more. Or gotten the ball to Ayton/Saric in the mid post. That was open the few times we attempted it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

6/13 from the stripe. That's pathetic. In spite of our collapse, we still would have won in regulation with one more made FT.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You could just tell we were sunk when Book missed that shot at the end of regulation. Detroit had a ton of momentum in the 4th and OT. Just one game; hopefully we learn from it. They will have to show they can beat a zone defense with their dribble penetration, driving and kicking and hitting open shots.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

Democritus wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:53 am
Calm down guys, just one game. We'll be alright!
Just one decade you mean. But to blow a lead against the lowly pistons in that fashion was just demoralising. My reaction may have been a little strong but I don’t want us blowing our good start to the season. Plus in typical Suns fashion we got an injury with a loss also.
Last edited by Danimal on Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:53 am
A who lot of "shouldas" by Monty.

Why didn't he notice this going on during the game and make some adjustments?

This game was also a great example of what having only two dependable big men is going to be like all season. Teams with big forwards are going to try to post up Crowder and Johnson.
Good points. Having smith may help this eventually. But you’ve got to get him a few minutes when he is healthy to start developing him or get him some run in the G league. It’s rare that players develop from the bench.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
“ i guess we just gotta play zone”- every fucking team now
YEP. we saw it last night.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:12 pm
Wally_West wrote:
“ i guess we just gotta play zone”- every fucking team now
YEP. we saw it last night.
Who cares if we beat 'em? We'll just get better at handling it. Bring it on! Do your worst!
"Be Legendary."