Game Day: Suns (6-3) @ Pacers (6-2), Sat 1/9/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
djy2j

Re: Game Day: Suns (6-3) @ Pacers (6-2), Sat 1/9/21

Post by djy2j »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:14 am
djy2j wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 pm
I don’t like Aytons body language right now. Looks asleep.
Yeah. it was pretty bad last night. I know he had a nice dunk (yay.) but I felt like he didn't jump for rebounds, didn't fight to box anyone out, and never tried to recover to his man when he rotated over to bother someone's drive. It is amazing how out of shape he looks when compared to his college days... I know guys usually bulk up when in the league, but you don't typically see them round out and lose athleticism, especially at 22.
He ended up clamping down on Sabonis towards the end but man...more and more I keep thinking of Kwame Brown when I watch him play like this.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Finally got to watch the game in it's entirety as I only got to peep some of the 4th quarter at work.

obviously was disappointed to see Payne was sitting out, but having Mikal go for a career night plus Cam getting key minutes in the 4th was great. I have mentioned Mikal's zero hesitation this season and "off the dribble" Cam as things I enjoy watching develop, man what a sweet step back Cam had lol and the thing is when I read the comments last night Mori saying he was shooting too much surprised me. he really did however miss some, well too many wide open shots in the 1st half but I like the fact that both of their confidence levels not wavering at all this season. I surely don't have a prob with Cam avging like eight 3PA per game cause even when he seems a lil off the avgs still add up and I believe it's only a matter of time fore these 3/8 and 4/10 from deep type nights become some 6+ made 3s and more 20pt games off the bench are gonna come for him this season.

as for CP3, was not really stressing his play so far as I saw this take couple nights ago and found it to be fairly logical.

as some of u mentioned lots of times he wasn't taking the midrange jumper but instead continuing to dribble and probe which most of the time was trying to draw the D to hit Ayton. again we have mentioned that Ayton doesn't seem to be built to be that dynamic roller but wouldn't surprise me if CP is adamant he can unlock something there as the season progresses. anyways tonight he came out more aggressive and funny enough although DA only had 8pts I thought he played a really solid game so trying to get him looks might really not be all that necessary but to be continued.

nice game from Book, FT line issues working back to the mean and more importantly outside of the fiasco in DET his turnovers in the 3 of these last 4 games have been 2,1 and 0 tonight

my concerns about Sabonis did prove to be legit tho, geeez man lol but Brodgon being uncharacteristically inefficient was key. like everyone else has said, how we respond to losses definitely showing that the team is good.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

djy2j wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:29 am
Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Yeah. it was pretty bad last night. I know he had a nice dunk (yay.) but I felt like he didn't jump for rebounds, didn't fight to box anyone out, and never tried to recover to his man when he rotated over to bother someone's drive. It is amazing how out of shape he looks when compared to his college days... I know guys usually bulk up when in the league, but you don't typically see them round out and lose athleticism, especially at 22.
He ended up clamping down on Sabonis towards the end but man...more and more I keep thinking of Kwame Brown when I watch him play like this.
Ayton is a $12-15M annual player. I’ve de-bunched my panties by accepting that. Much easier to watch him when I think of him as our fourth or fifth most important player,

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:34 am
djy2j wrote:
Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Ayton is a $12-15M annual player. I’ve de-bunched my panties by accepting that. Much easier to watch him when I think of him as our fourth or fifth most important player,
He makes 12.6 next year, and there is no way he is going to get a 15M/year contract after that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:57 am
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:

He makes 12.6 next year, and there is no way he is going to get a 15M/year contract after that.
Are you sure about that?

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:
I think Ayton’s progress this season will be telling. He arguable has the highest upside in the team, and there are a lot more games to play.

Plus, the Suns are winning this season—I don’t want to worry about what contracts might need to be signed in future seasons.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:20 am
Oatmeal wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:26 pm
Is Bridges our best player yet?
He has played the best this year so far. How about that?
He was our best player last night, that's for sure.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Same here. He is what he is. We blew the number one pick but that's over now and we have to move on. We have to work with what we've got.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:
11 then?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Indy wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Ayton is going to get more than that. He's essentially still in his 2nd season and is really working on being the defensive anchor.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:02 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:
Indy wrote:

Ayton is going to get more than that. He's essentially still in his 2nd season and is really working on being the defensive anchor.
That is what I am saying. No way he signs for anything close to only 15M per year. Someone will likely give him the max contract, somewhere around 27-33M for 5 years and that someone will likely be us.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:01 pm
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:

That is what I am saying. No way he signs for anything close to only 15M per year. Someone will likely give him the max contract, somewhere around 27-33M for 5 years and that someone will likely be us.
I agree with that.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
djy2j wrote:

I don't think he's going to be worth that. If true, I'm for a sign and trade. But I guess it's not our money. OTOH, like INF says, it informs future decisions.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:08 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

I don't think he's not going to be worth that. If true, I'm for a sign and trade. But I guess it's not our money. OTOH, like INF says, it informs future decisions.
well this Ayton isn't worth the 11M he is making this year. So yeah, no freaking way he is worth a quarter of our overall cap. But if you realize that as an NBA GM, you need to find a way to move him before he is in his contract year or even worse the summer after his contract year.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:15 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:

I don't think he's not going to be worth that. If true, I'm for a sign and trade. But I guess it's not our money. OTOH, like INF says, it informs future decisions.
well this Ayton isn't worth the 11M he is making this year. So yeah, no freaking way he is worth a quarter of our overall cap. But if you realize that as an NBA GM, you need to find a way to move him before he is in his contract year or even worse the summer after his contract year.
Galloway made $10M last year. What’s your point. Of rotation players he (DA) has the worst defensive rating on the team.

Past salary does not dictate future.

He was paid #1 pick money to produce like a #1 pick. His play will dictate his value. It’s silly that the same board that thinks Ayton won’t net us anything more than Dinwiddie in a trade thinks that a team will offer him the max. So which is it then? Rather we can trade him as the major piece in a trade to acquire a star, or he is what he is and that is a role player that the league Will treat accordingly.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Sorry Galloway got 7M last year not 10

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:21 pm
Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:15 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Galloway made $10M last year. What’s your point. Of rotation players he (DA) has the worst defensive rating on the team.

Past salary does not dictate future.

He was paid #1 pick money to produce like a #1 pick. His play will dictate his value. It’s silly that the same board that thinks Ayton won’t net us anything more than Dinwiddie in a trade thinks that a team will offer him the max. So which is it then? Rather we can trade him as the major piece in a trade to acquire a star, or he is what he is and that is a role player that the league Will treat accordingly.
How many teams would have given Wiggins a max contract based on his play? Did he get it?

Teams don't give up their #1 picks easily because they keep hoping against hope that they will turn into that guy they envisioned when they drafted him, and the sunk cost fallacy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:22 pm
Sorry Galloway got 7M last year not 10
And he got that from a 3 year deal he signed in 2016 when the cap went from 74M to 98M. Remember that summer?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wonder if something could be worked out with Indy and Charlotte. I could see Charlotte being interested in Ayton and we know Indy is interested in Hayward. There’d have to be more involved but something surrounding an Ayton to Cha, Hayward to Ind, Turner to Phx is interesting. I know some of you think Ayton is worth a lot more than Turner, but I don’t really think he is. Turner provides great defense, he can stretch the floor offensively, and he’s not going to require 30 million to re-sign. Think he’s currently on an 18 million/year deal.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:40 pm
I wonder if something could be worked out with Indy and Charlotte. I could see Charlotte being interested in Ayton and we know Indy is interested in Hayward. There’d have to be more involved but something surrounding an Ayton to Cha, Hayward to Ind, Turner to Phx is interesting. I know some of you think Ayton is worth a lot more than Turner, but I don’t really think he is. Turner provides great defense, he can stretch the floor offensively, and he’s not going to require 30 million to re-sign. Think he’s currently on an 18 million/year deal.
Yeah I get we all hope Ayton turns into more than Turner, but we would all be praising jesus/yahweh/siddartha/brahma/hawkins if Ayton was averaging 4 blocks a game.