Game Day: Suns (6-3) @ Pacers (6-2), Sat 1/9/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Game Day: Suns (6-3) @ Pacers (6-2), Sat 1/9/21

Post by The Bobster »

Before long everyone here would be bitching about why Turner's only getting half the rebounds Ayton did and the Suns were getting killed on the boards every night.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Ayton is better than Turner right now. It's pretty close, but Turner doesn't do anything in the paint offensively and I think blocks is probably the most overrated counting stat in basketball.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:19 pm
Before long everyone here would be bitching about why Turner's only getting half the rebounds Ayton did and the Suns were getting killed on the boards every night.
probably, but do you see Ayton fight for any rebounds? And at least they get to the FT line about the same. :)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:36 pm
Ayton is better than Turner right now. It's pretty close, but Turner doesn't do anything in the paint offensively and I think blocks is probably the most overrated counting stat in basketball.
I agree on blocks, but who was a better overall deterrent to paint scoring last night?

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:19 pm
That’s a legitimate concern...we’d need him and Crowder/Bridges to step up on the boards.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
It can be overrated...but Turner isn’t Whiteside...he’s legitimately a good defensive player.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:03 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I agree on blocks, but who was a better overall deterrent to paint scoring last night?
I'd have to look closer at the numbers, but a lot of the Pacers points in the paint came from transition or Sabonis going against defenders other than Ayton, IIRC.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:15 pm
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I'd have to look closer at the numbers, but a lot of the Pacers points in the paint came from transition or Sabonis going against defenders other than Ayton, IIRC.
Right. He wasn't defending the paint nearly as well as Turner. I think we were beat by almost 20 points there.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:15 pm
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Right. He wasn't defending the paint nearly as well as Turner. I think we were beat by almost 20 points there.
The way you word it makes it sound like Ayton was a sieve and Turner was a brick wall. I didn't see it that way.

Ayton defended 1-on-1 very well and had his usual lapses with help defense. If I were grading them, Turner would be an 'A' defender and Ayton a 'B+'.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:08 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
It can be overrated...but Turner isn’t Whiteside...he’s legitimately a good defensive player.
I agree. I'm not trying to diminish Turner as much as stand up for Ayton, who I think isn't far behind Turner defensively.

Much like his offensive woes, Ayton needs to improve his defensive IQ. His poor defensive rating has a lot to do with his bad help defense. If he had 3 more seasons in the league like Turner, I think we'd be seeing him making far fewer mistakes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I agree. I'm not trying to diminish Turner as much as stand up for Ayton, who I think isn't far behind Turner defensively.

Much like his offensive woes, Ayton needs to improve his defensive IQ. His poor defensive rating has a lot to do with his bad help defense. If he had 3 more seasons in the league like Turner, I think we'd be seeing him making far fewer mistakes.
That’s fair. I’m not worried about Ayton defensively, I think he helps us more there than on offense. I do think Ayton is probably a bit more valuable overall than Turner, but he’s also gonna get paid like he’s a lot better, and he’s not.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:58 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

That’s fair. I’m not worried about Ayton defensively, I think he helps us more there than on offense. I do think Ayton is probably a bit more valuable overall than Turner, but he’s also gonna get paid like he’s a lot better, and he’s not.
Yep. That's why James Jones had better be doing his due diligence now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:46 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:40 pm
I wonder if something could be worked out with Indy and Charlotte. I could see Charlotte being interested in Ayton and we know Indy is interested in Hayward. There’d have to be more involved but something surrounding an Ayton to Cha, Hayward to Ind, Turner to Phx is interesting. I know some of you think Ayton is worth a lot more than Turner, but I don’t really think he is. Turner provides great defense, he can stretch the floor offensively, and he’s not going to require 30 million to re-sign. Think he’s currently on an 18 million/year deal.
Yeah I get we all hope Ayton turns into more than Turner, but we would all be praising jesus/yahweh/siddartha/brahma/hawkins if Ayton was averaging 4 blocks a game.
Don't forget Muhammad. Not sure how Connie made the list though.
"Be Legendary."

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:42 pm
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I wonder if something could be worked out with Indy and Charlotte. I could see Charlotte being interested in Ayton and we know Indy is interested in Hayward. There’d have to be more involved but something surrounding an Ayton to Cha, Hayward to Ind, Turner to Phx is interesting. I know some of you think Ayton is worth a lot more than Turner, but I don’t really think he is. Turner provides great defense, he can stretch the floor offensively, and he’s not going to require 30 million to re-sign. Think he’s currently on an 18 million/year deal.
Yeah I get we all hope Ayton turns into more than Turner, but we would all be praising jesus/yahweh/siddartha/brahma/hawkins if Ayton was averaging 4 blocks a game.
Original God of Playground Basketball.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BKinSJC wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
:D
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Y’all do some good drugs ? Turner is not worth $18M and he is not as good as DA. NEXT

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wouldn't trade Ayton for Turner. But if some bottom-feeding team offered us a young player and an unprotected 1st-rounder for him, I would consider it. He may not be worth what he'll get on his next contract, and I hope Jones and Saver don't fall for maxing out a guy who isn't worth it. The worst-case scenario would be for him to show flashes at the end of this year, just enough to cause his market value to skyrocket based on potential, then have us sign him to a huge contract and discover he can't live up to it. I still have hopes for the guy, but at this rate I worry that he'll be just good enough to earn a dumb contract.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just because he was the #1 pick doesn't mean his second contract should be affected by that. It should be based on his play. There's no freaking way he's getting the max based on that criteria.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Clint Capela is on a 5 year, $90M contract. Is there any reason Ayton won't get at least that?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:07 pm
BKinSJC wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:06 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
:D
:lol: