Around the League: Week 4 1/11-1/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 4 1/11-1/17

Post by carey »

Taking a look at the standings we find the Sixers and Celtics tied for the lead in the East at 7-3 while the Suns are a game & 1/2 back of the Lakers in the West with the Clippers 1/2 a game behind the Suns.

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: No games televised, watch football or find a Suns stream!
Tuesday: L.A. Lakers @ Houston 8:00 PM EST NBATv, Indiana @ Golden State 10:30 PM EST TNT
Wednesday: Brooklyn @ New York 7:30 PM EST ESPN, NOLA @ L.A. Clippers 10:00 PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Miami @ Philly 7:30 PM ESTTNT, Golden State @ Denver 10:00 PM EST TNT
Friday: Dallas @ Milwaukee 7:30 PM EST ESPN, NOLA @ L.A. Lakers 10:00 PM EST ESPN
Saturday: Houston @ S.A. 5:00 PM EST NBATv, Charlotte @ Toronto 7:30 PM EST NBATv
Sunday: New York @ Boston 1:00 PM EST NBATv, Philadelphia @ OKC 7:00 PM EST NBATv, Indiana @ L.A. Clippers 10:00 PM EST NBATv

NBA News

What should the NBA do in regards to recent cancelations?

Miami Heat add seven players, including Jimmy Butler, to health and safety list - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/306 ... afety-list

Atlanta Hawks' Bogdan Bogdanovic diagnosed with fractured right knee- https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/306 ... right-knee

Power Rankings Roundup

NBA Power Rankings: Lakers reclaim top spot; Warriors, Mavericks make huge jump; 76ers drop amid COVID fallout - https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... d-fallout/
#3 Phoenix blew a 23-point lead in Friday's overtime loss to the Pistons, but picked up wins over the Raptors and Pacers this week to maintain one of the best records in the Western Conference. Devin Booker averaged 24 points for the week, while Mikal Bridges continued his hot start to the season by hitting 47 percent of his 3-pointers, including 6-of-8 en route to a career-high 34 points in Saturday's win over the Pacers.
Power Rankings, Week 4: Suns rise to No. 2; Warriors move into Top 10 - https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2020-21-week-4
#2 Phoenix Suns
Record: 7-3
Pace: 97.4 (30) OffRtg: 112.5 (7) DefRtg: 106.4 (5) NetRtg: +7.0 (3)

Mikal Bridges’ 34 points in Indiana on Saturday weren’t just a career high for the third-year forward who leads the league with 14 corner 3s. They were a season high for the Suns, with Devin Booker yet to have scored more than 26. The Suns have a top-10 offense with seven guys averaging double-figures and more remarkable than Bridges’ hot shooting (6-for-8 from beyond the arc) on Saturday was that the Suns had 33 assists and just three turnovers against a Pacers defense that ranked second in opponent turnover rate through Friday. That assist-to-turnover ratio of 11.0 is the highest mark for any team in a game in the last 15 seasons (since the Bucks had 23 and 2 in April of 2006).

Of course, that Phoenix offense, after eviscerating Detroit’s man-to-man defense through 18 minutes, really struggled when the Pistons played zone for most of the last 30 minutes on Friday. The Suns blew a 23-point lead and lost to a team that was 1-7. They’re still the only team that hasn’t lost a game that wasn’t within five in the last five. In fact, all three of their losses were within three points in the last minute of the fourth quarter.

After wrapping up a three-game trip in Washington on Monday, the Suns will play 14 of their next 19 games at home.
NBA Power Rankings: Lakers Get a New Challenger to the Throne -
#6 Phoenix has hit the ground running, going 7-3 in its first 10 games. Everything is clicking on both ends of the court, giving the Suns a top-five net rating. Mikal Bridges stood out last week. Over three games, he averaged 17.7 points on a 48.6 field-goal percentage while defending at a high level.

According to Cleaning the Glass, the Suns have the second-best effective field-goal percentage in the NBA. They are connecting at all three levels: sixth in shots at the rim, first in the mid-range and eighth from three. One area that they will need to improve upon is their free-throw attempts. With Devin Booker and Chris Paul, they should rank higher than 29th in attempts.

The Suns are for real, but how real is still yet to be determined. It will be a few weeks until they play another top-tier opponent, so until then they should continue piling up wins.
NBA Power Rankings: Phoenix Suns keep rising, and let’s get these games in! - https://theathletic.com/2300504/2021/01 ... rs-on-top/
#2 Phoenix Suns (↑Previously 4th), 7-3, +6.1 net rating
Weekly slate: Win over Raptors, Loss at Pistons, Win at Pacers

Normally, a loss to Detroit would cause a team to plummet down the Power Rankings. And normally, I would view such a loss as the beginning of the end when it comes to high hopes about the Phoenix Suns because their history over the last decade would inform us this is the tipping point toward disappointment. The Suns followed up that deflated game against Detroit with a spirited win over Indiana. What still blows my mind about this Suns team is this isn’t Devin Booker and Chris Paul carrying them. Both were very good against Indiana, but it was Mikal Bridges going off that night. We’re seeing methodical dissection by the Suns each night. The CP3 effect of the pace slowing way down is big too. Phoenix went from 10th in pace last season to 30th this season. Suns are surgical most nights.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: Around the League: Week 4 1/11-1/17

Post by Indy »

So Kyrie was supposedly attending a birthday party which is why he hasn't played. Interesting to see how rookie head coach Steven Nash handles this.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wob made a funny video investigating. Seems it's his sister's and father's birthdays this week.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:08 am
So Kyrie was supposedly attending a birthday party which is why he hasn't played. Interesting to see how rookie head coach Steven Nash handles this.
Excuse me, but it's "Stephen".
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would hate having a star like Kyrie on my team. He just abandons his team without talking to them, all to go to a birthday party and goof around. And he's out in mass social situations with no mask during a deadly pandemic. What the heck is that? How are you supposed to deal with a situation like that? Suspend him, so he'll just have more time to out? Let him play and risk the other players? It's especially tough for a rookie coach like Steve Nash. I don't know if bringing in a rookie coach was the best move for a team with two prickly veterans who won't want to be told what to do by some young rookie coach.

Nets have looked strong to start the season, but I think they'll implode and still feel good about my prediction that they won't end up with one of the East's top records.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:56 am
Indy wrote:
My bad. I meant to type Steve Nash. I don't think I have ever said (even in my head) "Stephen/Steven Nash." Weird.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:26 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
My bad. I meant to type Steve Nash. I don't think I have ever said (even in my head) "Stephen/Steven Nash." Weird.
I thought you were going for the full first name to stress that he needs to pull up his big boy, head coaching pants. And sorry but I'm personally sensitive to Stephen/Steven and along those lines, I'm not too happy with Stephen Curry pronouncing it wrong.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:32 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
I thought you were going for the full first name to stress that he needs to pull up his big boy, head coaching pants. And sorry but I'm personally sensitive to Stephen/Steven and along those lines, I'm not too happy with Stephen Curry pronouncing it wrong.
you can't tell someone they pronounce their own name wrong. :lol:

Besides, he says it like it is spelled and should be pronounced in English. ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:51 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

I can and I will! 8-)

I was so pleased to see a new Steph commercial pointing this out too.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:15 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I can and I will! 8-)

that is funny, because I read that commercial exactly the opposite. the know-it-all reporter was telling this person how to pronounce his own damn name! The arrogance!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

I can and I will! 8-)

that is funny, because I read that commercial exactly the opposite. the know-it-all reporter was telling this person how to pronounce his own damn name! The arrogance!
We read it the same. It's just that Steph's parents are wrong. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:27 am
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:

I can and I will! 8-)

I have a personal connection this. I have a very basic name that nearly everyone in the US knows how to pronounce (Chris). But when I was in high school my Spanish teacher had us all go by our names as if we were pronouncing them in Spanish. So instead of 'kris' it was now 'krees' with the long E for the I. I was like "no, my name is pronounced this way, regardless of where I live or what language you are speaking." My rationale wasn't appreciated.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Boston/Orlando game on Wednesday is postponed now.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

I can and I will! 8-)

I have a personal connection this. I have a very basic name that nearly everyone in the US knows how to pronounce (Chris). But when I was in high school my Spanish teacher had us all go by our names as if we were pronouncing them in Spanish. So instead of 'kris' it was now 'krees' with the long E for the I. I was like "no, my name is pronounced this way, regardless of where I live or what language you are speaking." My rationale wasn't appreciated.
In Korean, your name would be 크리스, which sounds like Kuh-ree-suh. You got off easy with Spanish. :lol:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

:lol:

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The link has the full list of measures

Indy

Post by Indy »

this will be interesting.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:

I can and I will! 8-)

:) Mine is personal as well. The average person doesn't know that Stephen and Steven are pronounced the same in English. (99% of the time, Steph excluded) I am constantly called "stefan" on the phone by strangers.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's somehow getting fatter as the season progresses.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.