Impeachment

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Impeachment

Post by Mori Chu »

The Republicans have infected multiple Democratic members of Congress with COVID. They caught it while in the "safe room" where Republican Congressmen refused to wear masks. One of the Dem members who caught COVID from them is 75; the other is Rep. Pramila Jayapal. Absolutely unconscionable.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This country is seriously broken.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:12 am
The Republicans have infected multiple Democratic members of Congress with COVID. They caught it while in the "safe room" where Republican Congressmen refused to wear masks. One of the Dem members who caught COVID from them is 75; the other is Rep. Pramila Jayapal. Absolutely unconscionable.
Idk, I think Nodack is right, this seems to be all theatre. She's claiming that the Republicans gave it to her, because they weren't wearing a mask. That means she must have been wearing a mask though, right?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

so now you believe masks work...

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am
I am skeptical of just how much they work. You must have missed my point of the post above completely.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:41 am
Indy wrote:
I am skeptical of just how much they work. You must have missed my point of the post above completely.
The point of the mask is more to protect others from the wearer than to protect the wearer. So if your point is that catching it while wearing a mask discredits mask wearing, you’re missing the point of the mask.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
The point of the mask is more to protect others from the wearer than to protect the wearer. So if your point is that catching it while wearing a mask discredits mask wearing, you’re missing the point of the mask.
I wear a mask everywhere, not because I'm going to infect anyone, because I don't have it, gotten over it a month ago and according to recent studies I am immune to it for another 7 months, but for the other person's mental state of mind. I think she's being hypocritical, and doesn't know for sure that she didn't have it prior and gave it to others herself.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A third Dem congressman, Rep Brad Schneider (D-IL), has now tested positive for COVID after being stuck in the confined room with the GOP.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:07 am
A third Dem congressman, Rep Brad Schneider (D-IL), has now tested positive for COVID after being stuck in the confined room with the GOP.
That could be the case that they got it from the GOP congressmen, but how do we know for sure? Did those GOP have it or have it now? Do we have proof, or just conjecture?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:06 am
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
I wear a mask everywhere, not because I'm going to infect anyone, because I don't have it, gotten over it a month ago and according to recent studies I am immune to it for another 7 months, but for the other person's mental state of mind. I think she's being hypocritical, and doesn't know for sure that she didn't have it prior and gave it to others herself.
you can still spread it, even if you already had it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
sure i am the one missing the point in this thread.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
And you've seen the video of them laughing off the mask offer, right?
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
Only if they are infected by someone else, right? So, immune person spreads it by inhaling the virus from some other person, then exhaling that same virus to others?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 am
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Only if they are infected by someone else, right? So, immune person spreads it by inhaling the virus from some other person, then exhaling that same virus to others?
well, nobody can get it or spread it unless they are infected by someone else. that is kind of what an infection disease is.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:52 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 am
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Cap wrote:

well, nobody can get it or spread it unless they are infected by someone else. that is kind of what an infection disease is.
Specifically, this is affirmative to each of these questions? But you couldn't get it from a masked person or spread it to other masked people while wearing a mask and being immune?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:03 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Idk, I think Nodack is right, this seems to be all theatre. She's claiming that the Republicans gave it to her, because they weren't wearing a mask. That means she must have been wearing a mask though, right?
By theatre I mean the House will vote to impeach and the Senate will punt. I am all for impeachment or the 25th. It’s theatre because they won’t succeed in getting the Senate to impeach unless it’s after Trump leaves.

I don’t know who was infected or not or by who. Clearly the rioters weren’t wearing masks. The video of Congressmen huddling under desks and behind railings didn’t all have masks. Some had them, some had their plastic gas masks on or in their hands. I think they were a little more worried of being shot, hung or beaten than wearing their masks.

I am for whatever it takes to neuter Trumps political ambitions for life.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Top US generals condemn Capitol attack in message to troops
https://news.yahoo.com/top-us-generals- ... 35785.html
"The violent riot... was as direct assault on the US Congress, the Capitol building, and our Constitutional process," said a memorandum signed by all eight members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, led by the chairman, General Mark Milley.

"The rights of freedom of speech and assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition and insurrection," they said.

The letter said members of the armed services are bound to defend the constitution.

"Any act to disrupt the constitutional process is not only against our traditions, values and oath; it is against the law."

"We don't tolerate extremists in our ranks," said spokesman Jonathan Hoffman.

Underscoring the point, the Joint Chiefs said that, "in accordance with the Constitution," Biden would be inaugurated on January 20th "and will become our 46th commander in chief."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://news.trust.org/item/20210112223824-d64ql
Liz Cheney, the No. 3 Republican in the House of Representatives, said: "There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution," as the Democratic-led chamber moved forward on a path to remove Trump from office.

Trump "summoned this mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack" on the Capitol last Wednesday, Cheney, the daughter of former Republican Vice President Dick Cheney, said in a statement, adding: "I will vote to impeach the president."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump will be impeached by end-of-day Wednesday. He may actually get removed this time, too. Even McConnell may have turned against him. I suspect resigning would be the smart move for Trump, and then hoping for Pence to pardon him quickly.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Why does the US fall for conspiracy theories?

Daniel Finkelstein
The Times
Spoiler: show/hide