Biden Administration misc. activities

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Biden Administration misc. activities

Post by Indy »

It was absolutely cancelled, just as promised during the campaign. None of this varies from what was communicated over the last 12 months.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So you are ok with thousands of good paying jobs being eliminated and higher gas prices? Higher gas prices will be followed by higher food prices. That's a good idea on a nation that's already hurting because of the shutdowns?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm not good with the planet going to pot and ruining it for future generations. So selfish.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:13 am
I'm not good with the planet going to pot and ruining it for future generations. So selfish.
This.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Right, got to do our part to make this happen. I'm all for making it better for the planet, but it's lots of sacrifice for families first. This is where I have a problem with it. This directly affects the families first. Buffet is going to increase his wallet while we have to transfer transportation of oil to trains on his lines. When is China going to start doing their part? Aren't they the worst offender right now for pollution?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:09 am
So you are ok with thousands of good paying jobs being eliminated and higher gas prices? Higher gas prices will be followed by higher food prices. That's a good idea on a nation that's already hurting because of the shutdowns?
I am not fine ruining an entire community (not to mention the earth) for this pipe line. Go look at what happens with these pipe lines. One major leak and the soil is polluted for generations, and the company's consequence might be a fine totaling a month of profits.

We shouldn't be giving private companies access to federal (or state) lands for their shareholder's gain.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:00 pm
In2ition wrote:
I am not fine ruining an entire community (not to mention the earth) for this pipe line. Go look at what happens with these pipe lines. One major leak and the soil is polluted for generations, and the company's consequence might be a fine totaling a month of profits.

We shouldn't be giving private companies access to federal (or state) lands for their shareholder's gain.
I don't agree with your assessment. We've never seen an oil tanker leak or oil rig on the ocean leak? Have we never had a train derailment? You think this is more likely that the pipeline leaks?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:09 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I don't agree with your assessment. We've never seen an oil tanker leak or oil rig on the ocean leak? Have we never had a train derailment? You think this is more likely that the pipeline leaks?
We've never seen an ocean leak? Seriously?...

A Decade After BP Oil Spill, Texas A&M Experts Say It Could Happen Again
Oceanography professors say the Deepwater Horizon spill in 2010 changed the Gulf of Mexico in ways we are still trying to understand.

https://today.tamu.edu/2020/04/14/ocean ... understand
All agree that the long-term effects of the spill are still being determined. For example, a 2013 study showed that dolphins and other marine life were dying at six times the normal rate in the area affected by the spill.

“There is no account of how much marine life was lost or will be lost,” Quigg said. “The ability to produce offspring or new growth is part of this loss, but we still do not have a good way to assess what this will be for the gulf.”

All of the experts agree that another such spill is a virtual certainty. One reason: more than 2,000 deep-sea wells have been drilled in the gulf in the last 25 years.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:59 am
Superbone wrote:
Right, got to do our part to make this happen. I'm all for making it better for the planet, but it's lots of sacrifice for families first. This is where I have a problem with it. This directly affects the families first. Buffet is going to increase his wallet while we have to transfer transportation of oil to trains on his lines. When is China going to start doing their part? Aren't they the worst offender right now for pollution?
Since China isn't doing enough, why should we? That's a terrible mentality. Maybe it's time we sacrifice for the future generations. Something needs to change and the sooner we can eliminate our dependency on fossil fuels and figure out effective ways to capture carbon, the sooner we can have hope for our children and grandchildren, along with the earth itself, to prosper and sustain life for the future.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:35 pm
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Oceanography professors say the Deepwater Horizon spill in 2010 changed the Gulf of Mexico in ways we are still trying to understand.

All agree that the long-term effects of the spill are still being determined. For example, a 2013 study showed that dolphins and other marine life were dying at six times the normal rate in the area affected by the spill.

“There is no account of how much marine life was lost or will be lost,” Quigg said. “The ability to produce offspring or new growth is part of this loss, but we still do not have a good way to assess what this will be for the gulf.”

All of the experts agree that another such spill is a virtual certainty. One reason: more than 2,000 deep-sea wells have been drilled in the gulf in the last 25 years.
No, In2 is saying Oil Tankers leak, and train cars, so why are we willing to trade off the chance of a tanker leaking versus a pipe leaking. I understand the overall philosophy, I just disagree that we should be building pipelines through communities.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:48 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

No, In2 is saying Oil Tankers leak, and train cars, so why are we willing to trade off the chance of a tanker leaking versus a pipe leaking. I understand the overall philosophy, I just disagree that we should be building pipelines through communities.
Plus, it just continues to prolong our dependency on fossil fuels.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:

Indy is correct in what I was saying. I don't agree that it prolongs it any longer. All it's doing is shifting the dependency at this time to other vendors and more dangerous means of delivery, while increasing prices, greater chance for ecological damage and laying off American workers from decent paying jobs. If they could quickly and immediately transition into jobs promoting clean energy, that would be a different story. It's not the case though...yet.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:53 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Indy is correct in what I was saying. I don't agree that it prolongs it any longer. All it's doing is shifting the dependency at this time to other vendors and more dangerous means of delivery, while increasing prices, greater chance for ecological damage and laying off American workers from decent paying jobs. If they could quickly and immediately transition into jobs promoting clean energy, that would be a different story. It's not the case though...yet.
Our tax dollars our given to the fossil fuel companies, and Trump raised tariffs on renewable energy. That cost nearly 60k jobs, while the pipeline only had 50 permanent jobs created.

ALSO--In all of the US, there are 3.3M jobs in clean energy. For comparison, there are 46k in coal. A 1.4% increase in the clean energy jobs would employ more people than all of the coal industry. I realize we can't get off oil immediately, but we can for coal.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:43 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:53 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

Our tax dollars our given to the fossil fuel companies, and Trump raised tariffs on renewable energy. That cost nearly 60k jobs, while the pipeline only had 50 permanent jobs created.

ALSO--In all of the US, there are 3.3M jobs in clean energy. For comparison, there are 46k in coal. A 1.4% increase in the clean energy jobs would employ more people than all of the coal industry. I realize we can't get off oil immediately, but we can for coal.
Yes, once it was finished, the jobs would go away. That's understood. Same as any construction project. Can you explain the 60x jobs lost from the tariffs? I'm not familiar with this.

How many of the 3.3M jobs are left?

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Come on Indy! Didn't you read the article:
Peter Navarro, Trump’s trade and manufacturing advisor, said the report was “classic fake news dressed up in academic mumbo jumbo.”
I'm going to miss such eloquence from our prior administration, referring to science and facts as "mumbo jumbo" and "zip-a-dee-doo-dah".

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump administration relaxes safety rules sparked by 2010 Gulf oil spill
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1S81BT
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration unveiled on Thursday its final plan to roll back offshore drilling safety measures put in place by the Obama administration after the fatal 2010 BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill, the worst in U.S. history, raising concerns by some groups over potential risks to workers and the environment.

Trump administration rolls back environmental protections inspired by Deepwater Horizon catastrophe
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 61031.html

“The Trump administration is putting industry cost savings ahead of safety just weeks after the anniversary of the worst oil spill in U.S. history,” said Diane Hoskins, campaign director for ocean conservation group, Oceana.

“We should be implementing new safety reforms, not rolling back the too-few safety measures currently in place.”

I mase a list of all the Trump environmental rollbacks he made in the first year or so that I saw into his Presidency. I gave up after that but still have the links. Boden has his work cut out for him. Trump put people that hated the EPA in charge of the EPA to help speed up his rollbacks.
Spoiler: show/hide

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That wasn't the best article to explain how the jobs are lost, nor how many are left. In fact, it wasn't even all that great for your argument, imo. I'm going to be a little bit skeptical of any study that is driven by Chinese solar companies that are pushing to get rid of the tariffs and overwhelm the market with their solar panels.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:51 pm
That wasn't the best article to explain how the jobs are lost, nor how many are left. In fact, it wasn't even all that great for your argument, imo. I'm going to be a little bit skeptical of any study that is driven by Chinese solar companies that are pushing to get rid of the tariffs and overwhelm the market with their solar panels.
This is the US trade association. Why are you thinking they are foreign solar companies driving this study? You think each state is importing labor from China to install these things on your roof?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

At this point in time all Republican political arguments end with China.