Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:46 am
Bill Maher sometimes makes me laugh, but I wouldn't look to his show for authoritative information about the origins of COVID. It's possible COVID was lab created, but I don't think the available evidence supports that so far. I think people are drawn to these kinds of stories because we can't quite fathom that something this devastating would just be a random byproduct of viral evolution. But that's most likely what it is.
Where are you getting your information?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

They WHO is in Wuhan right now trying to find the origins of the virus. I don't know which scientist were on his show, but if they aren't the ones on the ground in Wuhan, I am not sure they know more about the origins than any of us.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Haven’t we already determined that the disease came from Randy Marsh fucking a pangolin?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:57 am
I primarily get my news and info from sources such as The Washington Post, BBC, NPR, Politico, The Atlantic, and Axios, along with various journalists on Twitter.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:09 am
Superbone wrote:
I primarily get my news and info from sources such as The Washington Post, BBC, NPR, Politico, The Atlantic, and Axios, along with various journalists on Twitter.
Did any of the news sources claim that HCQ was safe and would work to fight against Covid or did they report that it was dangerous and needs to be banned from prescriptions by Drs?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxychloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine is a medication used to prevent and treat malaria in areas where malaria remains sensitive to chloroquine. Other uses include treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and porphyria cutanea tarda. It is taken by mouth, often in the form of hydroxychloroquine sulfate.[2]

Common side effects may include vomiting, headache, changes in vision, and muscle weakness.[2] Severe side effects may include allergic reactions, vision problems, and heart problems.[2][3] Although all risk cannot be excluded, it remains a treatment for rheumatic disease during pregnancy.[4] Hydroxychloroquine is in the antimalarial and 4-aminoquinoline families of medication.[2]

Hydroxychloroquine was approved for medical use in the United States in 1955.[2] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines.[5] In 2017, it was the 128th most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than five million prescriptions.[6][7] Hydroxychloroquine is being studied to prevent and treat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID‑19), but all clinical trials conducted during 2020 found it is ineffective and may cause dangerous side effects.[8][9][10][11] The speculative use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID‑19 threatens its availability for people with established indications.[9]

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:25 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Did any of the news sources claim that HCQ was safe and would work to fight against Covid or did they report that it was dangerous and needs to be banned from prescriptions by Drs?
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-re ... d-covid-19

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:57 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroxychloroquine
Hydroxychloroquine is a medication used to prevent and treat malaria in areas where malaria remains sensitive to chloroquine. Other uses include treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and porphyria cutanea tarda. It is taken by mouth, often in the form of hydroxychloroquine sulfate.[2]

Common side effects may include vomiting, headache, changes in vision, and muscle weakness.[2] Severe side effects may include allergic reactions, vision problems, and heart problems.[2][3] Although all risk cannot be excluded, it remains a treatment for rheumatic disease during pregnancy.[4] Hydroxychloroquine is in the antimalarial and 4-aminoquinoline families of medication.[2]

Hydroxychloroquine was approved for medical use in the United States in 1955.[2] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines.[5] In 2017, it was the 128th most commonly prescribed medication in the United States, with more than five million prescriptions.[6][7] Hydroxychloroquine is being studied to prevent and treat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID‑19), but all clinical trials conducted during 2020 found it is ineffective and may cause dangerous side effects.[8][9][10][11] The speculative use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID‑19 threatens its availability for people with established indications.[9]
Thank you for pointing those out, and how the sited information sited that they used the Lancet Report, but they failed to report that the Lancet Report was bunk. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 6/fulltext Most of this was RETRACTED as it was made up. So the Wikipedia information is outdated.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hydroxychloroquine has not been shown to help fight COVID-19. Period. It's been studied thoroughly and they haven't been able to show any benefit that is supported by the data. That Lancet study was flawed but the conclusion of HCQ's ineffectiveness is *not* reliant on that study. In fact many states and nations have been stuck with huge oversupplies of HCQ and are trying to return it for a refund due to it being worthless. If you still think HCQ cures covid I don't know what to tell you; that has been extremely thoroughly debunked at this point.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And what about the NIH and FDA findings, In2? Neither of them indicate it is beneficial for COVID-19 treatment.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:00 am
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
HCQ is used early on in treatment, not after the patient is infected so much that they are admitted to the hospital. This I thought was widely known.

Trump mentioned HCQ when there were only 300 U.S. Covid-19 deaths. Turkey has a population of 85 million. Higher pop. density than US. They’ve been using HCQ since essentially the beginning. Only 25K deaths in Turkey. Early intervention w/ HCQ could have prevented 100s of thousands of deaths in the US.

Heck, this is widely used regularly in Africa. It's carried around with them like Tylenol. It's referred to as the "Sunday Sunday" pill where it's taken every Sunday on the regular. The numbers in Africa are relatively low.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:40 am
Hydroxychloroquine has not been shown to help fight COVID-19. Period. It's been studied thoroughly and they haven't been able to show any benefit that is supported by the data. That Lancet study was flawed but the conclusion of HCQ's ineffectiveness is *not* reliant on that study. In fact many states and nations have been stuck with huge oversupplies of HCQ and are trying to return it for a refund due to it being worthless. If you still think HCQ cures covid I don't know what to tell you; that has been extremely thoroughly debunked at this point.
Did I say that it cures Covid? Don't put words in my mouth. I said it treats it, which it does. Period. The Lancet study was f'n bs. Yes, Oklahoma has a bunch of oversupplies and are trying to return it, but maybe they should hand it out. In early treatment, it has shown the ability to help tremendously. Why are you perpetuating lies, Mori? It's not a cure, so anyone that thinks it's going to magically cure them after they are deeply infected, would be incorrect.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:00 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Superbone wrote:
HCQ is used early on in treatment, not after the patient is infected so much that they are admitted to the hospital. This I thought was widely known.

Trump mentioned HCQ when there were only 300 U.S. Covid-19 deaths. Turkey has a population of 85 million. Higher pop. density than US. They’ve been using HCQ since essentially the beginning. Only 25K deaths in Turkey. Early intervention w/ HCQ could have prevented 100s of thousands of deaths in the US.

Heck, this is widely used regularly in Africa. It's carried around with them like Tylenol. It's referred to as the "Sunday Sunday" pill where it's taken every Sunday on the regular. The numbers in Africa are relatively low.
For MALARIA.

That is like saying kimchi consumption per person in south korea is higher than any other country in the world, and they have one of the lowest infection and death rates, so we should all be using kimchi to fight covid.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:49 pm
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

For MALARIA.

That is like saying kimchi consumption per person in south korea is higher than any other country in the world, and they have one of the lowest infection and death rates, so we should all be using kimchi to fight covid.
:lol: The SK media hasn't gone that far, but some of the kimchi miracle cure claims aren't much different.

OTOH, I eat kimchi 3-4 times a month and just had my second negative COVID test result, so it's definitely the kimchi keeping me healthy.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:59 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:

For MALARIA.

:lol: The SK media hasn't gone that far, but some of the kimchi miracle cure claims aren't much different.

OTOH, I eat kimchi 3-4 times a month and just had my second negative COVID test result, so it's definitely the kimchi keeping me healthy.
I absolutely love kimchi. Like, a top 3 condiment for sandwiches, burritos, burgers, whatever. I love it over rice, and even eat it plain as a snack. I have two 32 oz jars of homemade kimchi in my fridge.

But a month ago I got a really bad migraine and was very nauseous. I lost it and the one thing I still remember seeing clear as day was that kimchi. And I haven't had a bite of it since. :(

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I can't believe there's still a debate about Hydroxychloroquine as a form of treatment for Covid-19. Wow. What about injecting sunlight into our lungs too? Come on In2ition. I can't believe this is even being talked about this far down the line.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not willing to patiently debunk all the BS that In2 posts here any more. It's well within the Brandolini's Law threshold: it takes way longer to debunk all this stuff than it takes to profess the ignorant and incorrect stuff in the first place. If he doesn't want to educate himself about hydroxy or any number of other issues, that's his choice. But it's also my choice not to be the fact-checker for somebody who shows no interest in facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandolini%27s_law

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

For MALARIA.

You wanted studies?
https://c19study.com/

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:49 pm
I can't believe there's still a debate about Hydroxychloroquine as a form of treatment for Covid-19. Wow. What about injecting sunlight into our lungs too? Come on In2ition. I can't believe this is even being talked about this far down the line.
LOL, nice one AIG. You are like the dude that stands behind your buddies egging them on with, "yeah, yeah, what an idiot!" "He probably thinks you can inject sunlight, hahahahahah!"

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:17 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:49 pm
LOL, nice one AIG. You are like the dude that stands behind your buddies egging them on with, "yeah, yeah, what an idiot!" "He probably thinks you can inject sunlight, hahahahahah!"
I grew up watching a ton of Beavis and Butthead as a kid. What do you expect?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton