Help me choose an NFL team to support.

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
England Sun

Help me choose an NFL team to support.

Post by England Sun »

For all you NFL fans.
I don’t currently have an NFL team I support.

Over the years there have been players I like who have played for different teams but no one team has had my undivided support.
I’ve loved watching games this year and want to really get behind a team from now on, but am still undecided.

Before I decide, and once I do that will be final forever, who do you support and why would you recommend them as a team to support.

My current top 4 possibles (but this could change with advice)
Are-
LA Rams (my local soccer team are Derby County and the are the Rams) but watching them this year was boring and Goff was just awful.
Arizona Cardinals - I’m a Suns fan and they are from the same state although I’ve never seen them play.
Kansas City Chiefs - Watched a few games this year and Mahomes is really fun to watch, but he won’t be there forever and I’ve no other links to KC.
Green Bay - They were OK to watch and love they are fan owned, but not a fan of the yellow and green uniform.

Any help appreciated.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

Nodack

Re: Help me choose an NFL team to support.

Post by Nodack »

I would say pick whatever team Tom Brady is on.

Indy

Post by Indy »

England Sun wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:15 pm
For all you NFL fans.
I don’t currently have an NFL team I support.

Over the years there have been players I like who have played for different teams but no one team has had my undivided support.
I’ve loved watching games this year and want to really get behind a team from now on, but am still undecided.

Before I decide, and once I do that will be final forever, who do you support and why would you recommend them as a team to support.

My current top 4 possibles (but this could change with advice)
Are-
LA Rams (my local soccer team are Derby County and the are the Rams) but watching them this year was boring and Goff was just awful.
Arizona Cardinals - I’m a Suns fan and they are from the same state although I’ve never seen them play.
Kansas City Chiefs - Watched a few games this year and Mahomes is really fun to watch, but he won’t be there forever and I’ve no other links to KC.
Green Bay - They were OK to watch and love they are fan owned, but not a fan of the yellow and green uniform.

Any help appreciated.
I am stuck with the team my dad was a fan of when I was a kid. I don't change allegiances for sports teams, even when it makes sense to do so. :)

That team is the Miami Dolphins.

If I had no allegiances and didn't live in a current market, I am not sure how I would pick a team. I would probably start with the ownership groups and find one I didn't detest. Not easy, but that is where I would start. That might be one good reason to support Green Bay.

Good luck making the right choice. I guess the good thing is that since you weren't born into it or nurtured into it, it wouldn't be hard for you to change it up in the future.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cardinals! As a Suns fan, continue to represent more of our local sports. You can even be a closet Arizona Diamondbacks fan while you're at it, even if you hate baseball!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:54 pm
Cardinals! As a Suns fan, continue to represent more of our local sports. You can even be a closet Arizona Diamondbacks fan while you're at it, even if you hate baseball!
This! Stick with your Arizona brothers.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I stick with the team one of the Suns owners plays for.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well I’m a Cardinals fan and they have some potential to be pretty exciting with Kyler Murray and DeAndre Hopkins over the next few years.

Pat Mahomes signed a 10 year deal with KC, so he might be there forever.

Also Rams have Matt Stafford instead of Jared Goff now, they could be pretty good next year.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I had this kind of dilemma some years back when I was trying to decide on which European soccer club(s) to support. I found that supporting the teams of the players I like to watch was much more enjoyable than trying to navigate the pros and cons of teams and end up picking one that brings more suffering to my life than the Suns already do. But I always root against specific owners or ownership groups, so it's not totally about following interesting players.

I also have a hard time really caring about a team if I didn't live in the city where they play because usually I was already supporting the local teams with my wallet.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:04 pm
I am stuck with the team my dad was a fan of when I was a kid. I don't change allegiances for sports teams, even when it makes sense to do so. :)
You're allowed when your local market gets a team. I grew up a Bears fan (my parents were from Chicago, and WGN brought the Bears games to our home), but abandoned them for the Cardinals when they moved here.

The Cardinals operated from Chicago when my parents lived there. Is that ironic, or just a fun little coincidence?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:18 am
Indy wrote:
You're allowed when your local market gets a team. I grew up a Bears fan (my parents were from Chicago, and WGN brought the Bears games to our home), but abandoned them for the Cardinals when they moved here.

The Cardinals operated from Chicago when my parents lived there. Is that ironic, or just a fun little coincidence?
To be honest, I say I am a Miami fan, but I watched just as many Cardinals games and Phins games this year. And although I usually have a game on during Sundays, I don't watch much of it and don't follow the sport much. If I were a die-hard fan, I would probably be a Cardinals fan just for the convenience of having all games on local TV and having local sports coverage.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:18 am
Indy wrote:

My dad too was from Illinois and a Cubs fan but he became a Diamondback fan when they entered the scene.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You become a fan of your home team. It’s a law. :)

When I grew up in Phoenix there was no AZ NFL football team, so I picked the Raiders because they actually acted like Pirates and that was cool.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:30 pm
You become a fan of your home team. It’s a law. :)

When I grew up in Phoenix there was no AZ NFL football team, so I picked the Raiders because they actually acted like Pirates and that was cool.
My buddy moved to LA when he was little and bought a Raiders ski jacket for the "winter" there... then realized much later that those were local gang unis... not that it's relevant at all, just thought I'd share.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

When I became a Raiders fan I was a freshman in HS. I didn’t even know what a gang was. Many years later I lived in LA for 4 years and went to a bunch of Raider games at the Coliseum. By this time I was well aware of gangs and noticed the Raiders popularity with gangs. I moved back to AZ and lost touch with the NFL because of the strike. I did go to some Raider Cardinals games and all the Raiders fans seemed like gang members and I lost interest in the Raiders.

I tried liking the Cardinals since they were now our home team. I just never got back into football like I did in the 80’s. I was in a band on the road and we all were into football. We had a football pool every week that we all took very seriously.

Times change. People change.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yeah... I'm a huge Suns fan because when I came stateside in 1990 my dad introduced me to Suns basketball, which was on the upswing at the time. Never quite got into football because I didn't know what was going on. I remember my first Superbowl, where Rippien led the WFT slaughter of the Bills... and it was many years later that I realized Rippien was not a big star. I moved to Boston in school in the mid 90s and kind of got into watching the Patriots when they were huge underdogs going up against the Kurt Warner-led Rams, and consider myself a fair weather football fan, but I can't really name the stars of the league and sure as hell don't know my head from my ass in a fantasy football league. I still enjoy watching a game or two when I have the time, but it's hard for me to pledge my allegiance to any team given the pain and suffering from my Suns fandom over the last decade and a half.