2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
3rdside

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by 3rdside »

Right, no, I wasn’t comparing your bible quote to dr Seuss, that was the GP.

And I definitely won’t be claiming the MSNBC’s and CNN’s of the world are the gospel of truth any time soon as fully acknowledge the bias there (Steele report, Iraq etc) but I do give higher credence to more established press in general (as one would to, say, universities).

Fox News is so bad Rupert’s son James left the company as the heir apparent (which means it’s to be Lachlan’s) to start a company solely designed to fight fake news and protect democracy:

Article about James leaving Fox News:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.inde ... html%3famp

Website to James’s new company:

http://www.qdvm.org/#intro

The Gateway Pundit and the like all appear to be derivatives of Fox News, so can’t be trusted (or at least trusted far less than the WSJ’s, BBC’s, Reuters and FT’s of the world).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'll be honest. I didn't really think you believed all those sources you were providing, In2. I thought you were just looking for opposing viewpoints.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm
I'll be honest. I didn't really think you believed all those sources you were providing, In2. I thought you were just looking for opposing viewpoints.
There is some truth to that. You guys are going to roll your own eyes on this based on your feelings about the locations I cite, but I'm just looking for the truth, wherever it comes from. I'm not looking for opposing viewpoints, just to be the opposition or pick fights.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

The other side of 'investigative journalism' (and I read Vice News occasionally, the moral of the story being use discretion when citing sources..)

How Investigative Journalism Flourished in Hostile Russia
A new wave of news outlets has used conventional, and unconventional, methods to pierce the veil of Putin’s power.

By Ben Smith, New York Times
Feb. 21, 2021
Spoiler: show/hide

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What?

McConnell says he'll 'absolutely' support Trump in 2024 if he's the GOP nominee
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/politics ... index.html

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That is very surprising.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

House Democrats ask Biden to give up sole power to launch nuclear bomb?
https://nypost.com/2021/02/25/democrats ... lear-bomb/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rikes.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm
What?

Of course he will. That speech criticizing Trump for his 1/6 coup was just lip service so Mitch wouldn't lose donors. Mitch is 100% all-in on the party.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:30 am
Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:13 pm
What?

Of course he will. That speech criticizing Trump for his 1/6 coup was just lip service so Mitch wouldn't lose donors. Mitch is 100% all-in on the party.
If that's what he thinks, then he's only worried about some BIG donors, but he has his wife's family and China ties to help him out. The Rep party is suffering in donations right now from most other people.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He would support Benedict Arnold if he were the nominee. Power over country.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

🤣 I totally believe it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nothing that guy says can be taken at face value.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:00 pm
🤣 I totally believe it.
It wasn't hyperbole either. In the past 6 weeks he has given 2 speeches on the Senate floor indicating he holds Trump accountable (at least in part) to the January 6th insurrection. And then yesterday he says he will support him for president again. Fucking maddening.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:26 pm
In2ition wrote:
🤣 I totally believe it.
It wasn't hyperbole either. In the past 6 weeks he has given 2 speeches on the Senate floor indicating he holds Trump accountable (at least in part) to the January 6th insurrection. And then yesterday he says he will support him for president again. Fucking maddening.
That's the funny thing, I know it's not hyperbole. Watch, he will be back to hating him on Monday.

Indy

Post by Indy »

To be clear, he didn't say anything about liking/hating him. He is a means to an end, and nothing more.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I should have used something like "opposed" instead, but you knew what I meant I'm sure.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, I guess I just know he hates him all the time. There are only like 5 senators that don't hate him.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:16 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
🤣 I totally believe it.
That's the funny thing, I know it's not hyperbole. Watch, he will be back to hating him on Monday.
Maybe what McConnell is saying is that he thinks Trump was responsible for the Capital attack and would like to see Trump held responsible for all his BS but, if the Republican party elects him again, he will support Trump because he’s a Republican and we know McConnell is all about that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:59 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:16 pm
Indy wrote:
In2ition wrote:
🤣 I totally believe it.
Maybe what McConnell is saying is that he thinks Trump was responsible for the Capital attack and would like to see Trump held responsible for all his BS but, if the Republican party elects him again, he will support Trump because he’s a Republican and we know McConnell is all about that.
Party over country!
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden tells the world 'America is back.' The world isn't so sure.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bid ... 985195.php
WASHINGTON - For President Joe Biden and his circle, a low point in America's global standing under President Donald Trump came when he blew up a meeting of U.S. allies in 2018, accusing close partners of "robbing" the United States and hurling insults at his Canadian host.

So it was no accident that Biden's push to reclaim American leadership in recent days has pointedly included a starring role for Canada, as the new administration seeks to woo an array of allies with a message that "America is back."

But it's increasingly clear that Biden cannot simply sweep up the broken diplomatic china and restore the world order that reigned when he was vice president.There is one simple reason: Allies know Trumpism could always come back, either in a 2024 bid by Trump himself or from another presidential hopeful offering a similar pitch.