NY Gov. Cuomo scandal

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: Coronavirus

Post by In2ition »

My goodness, this guy. When is he going to resign?

Cuomo's second accuser says she saw him as a 'father figure' and previously played middle school soccer with his DAUGHTER before he 'sexually harassed' her
By DAILYMAIL.COM REPORTERS

PUBLISHED: 00:37 EST, 1 March 2021 | UPDATED: 02:16 EST, 1 March 2021
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ailymailus

The second woman to accuse Governor Andrew Cuomo of sexual harassment once played soccer against one of his daughters and said she used to view him as a father figure.

Charlotte Bennett, 25, who was a former aide to Cuomo told the governor about their connection and that the pair had played middle school soccer together.

Bennett grew up in Westchester County and said that she initially saw Cuomo as a 'father figure' telling him how she was about the same age as Cuomo's eldest daughter.

Bennett, a health policy adviser in the Democratic governor's administration until November, told The New York Times Cuomo asked her inappropriate questions about her sex life, including whether she ever had sex with older men – all during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Bennett said: 'I understood that the governor wanted to sleep with me, and felt horribly uncomfortable and scared.

'And was wondering how I was going to get out of it and assumed it was the end of my job.'

Bennett, who served in a number of roles for Cuomo - including executive assistant and health policy advisor - said the governor made a number of concerning comments to her last spring during the height of the pandemic in the state.

Cuomo, 63, never made any physical advances, she said.

Bennett, who was an executive assistant before she resigned in November, claims on numerous occasions, the governor asked her questions about her personal life.

The questions in early June included those that pertained to a romantic relationship between two people of different ages.

Bennett said Cuomo also made comments stating he was open to dating women in their 20s, which she took as overtures to a sexual relationship.

The former aide did state that Cuomo never made an attempt to touch her but added that he was lonely and 'can't even hug anyone'.

Bennett says she said she missed hugging her parents, to which she claims he said: 'No, I mean like really hugged somebody?'

Bennett told the Times the governor began gossiping with her about who she had been romantically involved with in his staff.

Bennett shared the conversation with other staff members.

Ok, they are just piling on at this point. Even John Oliver came out against him. Are these allegations all true? Idk

Ex-journalist Lindsay Nielsen says harassment faced by Cuomo admin forced her to quit job
By Bernadette Hogan and Natalie Musumeci
https://nypost.com/2021/03/01/ex-journa ... SocialFlow

A former New York journalist claims the “damaging” harassment and “personal attacks” she faced by Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s administration was one of the reasons that led her to quit her job.

Lindsay Nielsen, in a post to Twitter Sunday, said she left Albany-based News10 ABC following the alleged “threatening” tactics and “incessant bullying” she endured by the governor’s office.

Nielsen, who left News10 in 2017 after joining the news outlet in 2012, told The Post Monday that the alleged harassment was “one of the reasons” why she quit her job.

“I didn’t want to deal with it anymore,” she said.

The fresh accusations come amid sexual harassment allegations against the governor.

“‘You have a vendetta against him don’t you!’ That was the last time I allowed someone connected to Governor Andrew Cuomo’s administration to harass and manipulate me,” Nielsen said in a statement posted to Twitter.

“It was during one of the many accusatory and threatening phone calls I received by his staff members that I realized this behavior was never going to stop,” she said. “It was shortly thereafter that I decided to leave my job at News10.”

Nielsen continued, “The late night phone calls from the administration, the constant threats to call my boss, the incessant bullying to try and get me to stop doing my job and reporting specific stories…it would never end.”

Nielsen said she decided to come forward after seeing similar reports of allegations against the Cuomo administration, including by Morgan Pehme, who served as editor-in-chief of City & State from 2012 to 2014.

“I don’t want another reporter to have to go through that. That’s why I did it,” Nielsen tearfully said.

She’s listed as a media account executive at BH Media Group for her most recent job, according to her LinkedIn account.

Cuomo’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment by The Post Monday.

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

He isn't going to resign, at least not without more evidence coming out. I wish he would. He is trash.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Northam blackface scandal may have shown folks that if you just don't resign, the scandal eventually goes away. I don't know if that will happen in this case; it seems like these particular kinds of scandals have a staying power and people don't just let them go. We'll see.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The media is crucifying him. All the media, not just FOX and he is a Democrat. That adds to the media’s credibility. I’m sure partisan Republicans were looking to say “See, the liberal fake media isn’t even reporting this!” They are in a big way.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14 pm
The media is crucifying him. All the media, not just FOX and he is a Democrat. That adds to the media’s credibility. I’m sure partisan Republicans were looking to say “See, the liberal fake media isn’t even reporting this!” They are in a big way.
Have you seen this, or are you just using conjecture? I've seen a lot of people covering this, and mostly Dems that are calling him out.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:40 pm
Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:14 pm
Have you seen this, or are you just using conjecture? I've seen a lot of people covering this, and mostly Dems that are calling him out.
It’s conjecture. The liberal media has for real been crucifying him, even at CNN when his brother works. I have no problem with him being crucified in the media. Even Biden is getting crap from the liberal media for not holding the Saudi’s accountable for murdering the journalist. That’s what the media does. That’s sort of it’s purpose. To inform and hold people accountable, not just Republicans. The liberal media holding Democrats accountable makes me feel good.

If the liberal media didn’t hold them responsible that’s where I assumed the right wing media would have a cow. At the Republican convention they are all still on board with Trump claiming the “Dems stole the election.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

More on Cuomo keeps coming out, but he won't resign, just like Northam wouldn't resign after he couldn't figure out if he was the one in blackface or the one with KKK costume.

New York Times and Wall Street Journal: Top Cuomo aides rewrote nursing home report from state health officials to hide higher death toll
By Veronica Stracqualursi, CNN
Updated 5:46 PM ET, Fri March 5, 2021
https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/05/politics ... index.html

Washington (CNN)Some top aides for New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo allegedly rewrote a June nursing home report from state health officials to hide the higher Covid-19 death toll among the state's nursing home residents, The New York Times and Wall Street Journal reported Thursday night.

In its reporting, the New York Times cites documents and interviews with six people with direct knowledge of the discussions who requested anonymity.

Both the Times and the Wall Street Journal are reporting that some of Cuomo's senior aides were involved in rewriting the report to lower the death toll in nursing homes, cutting it by nearly half.

Spoiler: show/hide

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think they're going to impeach him. And then he'll resign rather than be removed by the impeachment process. It just seems like there's too much "there" there at this point. He needs to go.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cuomo is toast.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The longer he waits, the more people are coming forward. It sounds like he was just a bully and a person who didn't know how to respect boundaries and act professionally. I am fine with waiting for evidence to come forward and giving a person due process, so if he wants to remain rather than resign, so be it. But it seems like there are so many people coming forward that he's unlikely to be able to recover from it at this point.

Mori Chu

NY Gov. Cuomo scandal

Post by Mori Chu »

Let's move Cuomo posts/discussion into their own thread.

In2ition

Re: NY Gov. Cuomo scandal

Post by In2ition »

You would think that an Ethics professor would know better. It's sad.

Cuomo aide, who is accused of helping cover up nursing-home death tolls, was once a professor of ethics in government
Joshua Zitser Mar 14, 2021, 9:35 AM
https://www.businessinsider.com/cuomo-a ... ses-2021-3

One of Gov. Andrew Cuomo's senior aides who faces allegations involving the nursing-home death toll cover-up previously taught classes on ethics in government, legal news website Law & Crime reported.

Linda Lacewell, the head of New York's Department of Financial Services, is one of the three top aides accused of changing a report to conceal the real number of deaths in the state's nursing homes during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to The New York Times.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Can't wait until they are no longer in power. Of course they learned from watching the former president that not much can be done if you choose to ignore it and wait out your term.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Some Cuomo staff dispute work on book was 'voluntary'
Chris Bragg
April 8, 2021
Updated: April 8, 2021 7:19 p.m.
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 087163.php

ALBANY — When news broke that Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo used government staff to help produce a for-profit book, his spokesman asserted that the arrangement was legal: The work was performed voluntarily, he said, and was not a misuse of taxpayer-funded resources.

But several current and former Cuomo staffers, or people speaking on their behalf, disputed that their work on “American Crisis” last year was truly voluntary. Instead, they told the Times Union the work was expected within the culture of Cuomo’s office, and that book-related assignments were made in the context of normal, daily duties.

One former staffer, who was among those asked to perform tasks related to Cuomo’s book, said there was a “clear expectation that we would do political work to help with his campaign and run the governor’s personal errands in the Executive Chamber.”

“It was not optional,” said the former staffer, who spoke on condition of not being identified. “It was considered a part of your job. Everyone knew that you did what was asked of you and opting-out was never really an option.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Why is Cuomo still in office?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Good question. It doesn't seem that he's going to be removed any time soon.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Because he learned (from Trump, and others) that if you just stay in office, they really can't remove you. Unless you are indicted and convicted.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Lol, no one else in politics has ever done that before Trump, right?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think he is the first elected official with over a dozen credible accusations of sexual assault (including rape) and not resign.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Dems have called on Cuomo to resign. Will the GOP do the same for Gaetz?