2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Nodack »

Ohio County Rejects Dominion Voting Systems After Trump Supporters Balk
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/11/97593512 ... rters-balk
The three person Board of Stark County Commissioners in Ohio rejected the purchase of more than 1,400 new Dominion voting machines. The county's Board of Elections had recommended the purchase, but the three members voted to withhold the money for the purchase following pressure from supporters of former President Trump, who falsely accused the machines of manipulating vote tallies in President Biden's favor.

The commissioners' resolution said, "Whenever there exists a potential cloud...or public perception or concern regarding a vendor's long-term viability, regardless of the cause or reason, the County must take a vendor's long-term viability into account" when spending millions of dollars of taxpayer money.

Trump and many of his inner circle helped to create that cloud. His camp continued to spread the falsehood that Dominion machines changed votes even after multiple audits and recounts in several states and counties that used the company's equipment showed there were no issues with the machines. Now it's clear that disinformation campaign has had a direct impact on the company's business.

Officials in at least one other state, Louisiana, have backed off plans to purchase Dominion voting machines following pressure campaigns from residents, according to The Advocate.

Following the attacks of the company's reputation, Dominion has offered to work with local officials to save its business, while company's employees continue to endure death threats.

Dominion has filed three defamation lawsuits against former Trump campaign attorney Sidney Powell; MyPillow and its CEO Mike Lindell; and Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani. Each is being sued for $1.3 billion in damages.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mike Lindell said that he begged Dominion to sue him, but he said he didn't understand why they were suing MyPillow, since they had nothing to do with it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:37 am
Mike Lindell said that he begged Dominion to sue him, but he said he didn't understand why they were suing MyPillow, since they had nothing to do with it.
It looks like they sued both him personally and also his company.

https://apnews.com/article/dominion-sue ... 293c78c02a
The lawsuit filed in federal court in the District of Columbia alleges that Lindell ignored repeated warnings from Dominion, a voting technology company that has filed similar lawsuits against Donald Trump lawyers Rudolph Giuliani and Sidney Powell.
I think the reason they included his company is because he used his railing against election integrity, voting machines, etc. as part of his marketing for MyPillow promotions. So he (arguably) has brought his company into the inappropriate act, trying to profit off of defaming Dominion.
“MyPillow’s defamatory marketing campaign — with promo codes like `FightforTrump,′ ‘45,’ ‘Proof’ and ‘QAnon’— has increased MyPillow sales by 30-40% and continues duping people into redirecting their election-lie outrage into pillow purchases,” the lawsuit alleges.
I'm not an expert in the relevant law, so I don't know if it is legally problematic what MyPillow did. It could be that it was done without Lindell's knowledge or consent. And I don't know how much the company or Lindell are liable for acts committed by members of the company like those described. We'll see, I suppose.

I do think it's a little silly to ask for $1.3 billion for something like this. But that is fairly common in these kinds of lawsuits. You ask for the big number, and you eventually get/settle for a somewhat smaller number.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Anyone that thinks Lindell knows more about election integrity than people that have been studying it and fighting for it for years, is lacking critical thinking.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:31 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:37 am
It looks like they sued both him personally and also his company.

https://apnews.com/article/dominion-sue ... 293c78c02a
Yeah, I was referring to the bottom of the article that Nodack posted where it said that. I just happened to hear him say it also last night.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:30 pm
Anyone that thinks Lindell knows more about election integrity than people that have been studying it and fighting for it for years, is lacking critical thinking.
So you are pretty confident that Lindell will lose this suit?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:58 pm
Indy wrote:
I am 100% confident that he cannot prove wide-spread voter fraud that dozens of courts have already thrown out.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:05 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:58 pm
Indy wrote:
I am 100% confident that he cannot prove wide-spread voter fraud that dozens of courts have already thrown out.
When do you think this suit is going to start and how long will it take to resolve, even if it's settled out of court?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Lindell has the brains of his product contents.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Defamation is hard to prove in court, but Dominion may have what they need here. I think you need to prove all of the following:

- that the person made false statements about you,
- that they KNEW the statements were false, and/or should reasonably be expected to know that, and
- that the statements caused damage.

I think it's fairly clear that all three are true. The statements about Dominion and their machines are false. Lindell should easily be able to know that by reading and learning publicly available info about this well documented company. And it has definitely harmed Dominion, specifically they've now lost several big contracts and sales.

I think Lindell is going to have to cough up a lot of money. It may imperil his business. It wouldn't surprise me to see My Pillow declare bankruptcy and shut down over this lawsuit.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think the 2nd one is hard to prove. I mean, he may be an incredibly gullible and/or stupid guy. And with so much disinformation floating around, and the lies about fake media perpetuated for years and years by the former president, it could be argued nobody--especially gullible people--who to believe.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Lin Wood is a defamation lawyer and has been a really good one for over 30 yrs. He doesn't open himself up to libel, if he doesn't have the goods. He hasn't shown, nor have any of them shown any type of fear about this suit. They claim to already have overwhelming proof of what they say is correct. On top of that, they are looking forward to discovery on this.

Indy

Post by Indy »

A defamation lawyer that is currently being investigated for disbarment.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:59 pm
Lin Wood is a defamation lawyer and has been a really good one for over 30 yrs. He doesn't open himself up to libel, if he doesn't have the goods. He hasn't shown, nor have any of them shown any type of fear about this suit. They claim to already have overwhelming proof of what they say is correct. On top of that, they are looking forward to discovery on this.
Just like those claims of having overwhelming voter fraud evidence? I'll consider these empty claims as well.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Sure; they just can't wait to be sued. It's all part of their grand plan. 4D chess. Discovery!

What would you be willing to bet as far as whether Lindell ends up eventually paying out a settlement / gets found guilty? I don't bet real money, but I'd put a month of avi shaming on the line. You?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:37 am
Sure; they just can't wait to be sued. It's all part of their grand plan. 4D chess. Discovery!

What would you be willing to bet as far as whether Lindell ends up eventually paying out a settlement / gets found guilty? I don't bet real money, but I'd put a month of avi shaming on the line. You?
I'll be willing to put avi shaming on the line. I do like your blow up pilot avi from Airplane though. When do you think a resolution to this suit happens? I asked this question earlier.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Timeless.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ha! I must have missed that one. Very apropos though.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Some of those comments are spot on. Today that guy would have his own following and thousands (or more!) would believe every word.

By the way, Bob Newhart is phenomenal. What is it about these fantastic comedic legends and living so long? Bob, Carl, Mel, Dick van Dyke? I think only Carl is dead and he was nearly 100. Mel is like mid-90s. Dick is mid-90s. Bob is early 90s.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:57 pm
Some of those comments are spot on. Today that guy would have his own following and thousands (or more!) would believe every word.

By the way, Bob Newhart is phenomenal. What is it about these fantastic comedic legends and living so long? Bob, Carl, Mel, Dick van Dyke? I think only Carl is dead and he was nearly 100. Mel is like mid-90s. Dick is mid-90s. Bob is early 90s.
It's no lie. Laughter is the best medicine. I live to laugh and vice versa.
"Be Legendary."