Around the League: Week 13 3/15-3/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 13 3/15-3/21

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: New York @ Brooklyn 8:00 PM EST ESPN, L.A. Lakers @ Golden State 10:30 PM EST ESPN
Tuesday: Utah @ Boston 7:30 PM EST TNT, New Orleans @ Portland 10:00 PM EST TNT
Wednesday: Milwaukee @ Philadelphia 7:00 PM EST ESPN, L.A. Clippers @ Dallas 9:30 PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Utah @ Washington 7:00 PM EST NBATv, Charlotte @ L.A. Lakers 10:30 NBATv
Friday: Dallas @ Portland 8:00 PM EST NBATv
Saturday: Golden State @ Memphis 8:00 PM EST NBATv
Sunday: Washington @ Brooklyn 7:00 PM EST NBATv, L.A. Lakers @ Phoenix 10:00 PM EST NBATv

NBA News

Shocking! NBA probe finds no proof of bigoted remark by Utah Jazz exec Dennis Lindsey toward Elijah Millsap - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/310 ... ah-millsap

Kawhi Leonard says LA Clippers' inconsistency 'very concerning' after rout by New Orleans Pelicans - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/310 ... s-pelicans

James Harden passes Larry Bird on NBA's all-time scoring list, posts a triple-double in Brookyn Nets' win - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/310 ... n-nets-win

Power Rankings Roundup

I don't really understand how a single loss drops us 3 to 4 spots in some of these rankings considering how long it took us to climb in the things.

NBA Power Rankings: The Brooklyn Nets aren't slowing down; the Charlotte Hornets are making a push - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/310 ... aking-push
#3 Suns - One of the keys that has helped vault Phoenix to the No. 2 spot in the Western Conference standings has been the Suns' ability to win away from home. As of Sunday night, the Suns are tied with the Lakers with a league-best .722 winning percentage in road games. In their first game back after the All-Star break, the Suns carried those winning ways into Portland, as Devin Booker dropped 35 in his return from a knee injury that kept him out of the All-Star Game. -- Lopez
NBA Power Rankings: Nets take top spot from Jazz; 76ers rise despite Joel Embiid injury; Heat keep winning - https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba- ... p-winning/
#5 Suns - The Suns beat the Blazers in their first game after the break, then saw their five-game winning streak get snapped in a home loss to the Pacers. Devin Booker scored 35 points and dished out eight assists in the win over Portland, while Dario Saric continued his impressive play off the bench, averaging 14 points and five rebounds on 61 percent shooting in 25 minutes per game.
Power Rankings, Week 13: Nets, Sixers and Lakers hold Top 5 spots despite key injuries - https://www.nba.com/news/power-rankings-2020-21-week-13
#3 Suns - The Suns aren’t used to playing from far behind. But they faced double-digit deficits in each of their first two games out of the break. Their bench did its thing (winning its minutes) in Portland on Thursday, sparking a 35-14 stretch that turned an 11-point deficit (late in the third quarter) into a 10-point lead and a six-point win. Over the last couple of weeks, Dario Saric has added some consistent offensive production (15.0 points per game on 57% shooting over the last five) to his plus-minus magic. And on a pair of occasions (one, two) late in that win on Thursday, he was able to take advantage of mismatches when the Blazers blitzed Devin Booker pick-and-rolls.

There was another run to start the fourth quarter on Saturday, but the Suns had buried themselves in too big of a hole (20 points) against the Pacers. Their 111 points on 105 possessions was their worst offensive performance since late January.

Thanks to that bench, the Suns have the best point differential (+2.2 points per game) in the first five minutes of the fourth quarter. And the 111 minutes that they’ve trailed by double-digits is still the league’s lowest total. Their five-game homestand continues this week and concludes with one of their most important games – Sunday against the Lakers – of the second-half schedule.
Nets, Bucks and Sixers top NBA Power Rankings: Plus each team’s season goal and trade deadline duty - https://theathletic.com/2434473/2021/03 ... line-duty/
#6 Suns - Weekly slate: Win at Blazers, Loss to Pacers

What’s the realistic goal? Make the second round of the playoffs.

The tricky part of this with the Phoenix Suns is the goal maybe should be loftier after this latest turn in the season. The Suns are charging toward the one seed. They’re above both Los Angeles teams in the standings. Whatever reasons and context get attached to that, it will naturally change what the goal or the expectation is for them — both externally and internally. For realistic goals? Getting out of the first round of the playoffs will undoubtedly be the new bar for them, even though the Suns haven’t been to the postseason since 2010. Devin Booker, Chris Paul and Monty Williams have this team surging, and it changes goals.

Do they need an acquisition to accomplish that? I think they could use another veteran but don’t need one. Last season’s Aron Baynes on this current version of the Suns would be a great addition. I just want someone better in the big man rotation than Frank Kaminsky, who has been fine but could be better.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Re: Around the League: Week 13 3/15-3/21

Post by pickle »

I should know the answer to this, but it's been sooooo long.

For draft order, obviously the champion gets the 30th pick, but who gets the 29th? The loser of the finals? Or does it go in reverse order of record after the 30th?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It's done by regular season record, not playoff results.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Except the champions, no?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Looks like even the champs don't drop their draft position... All these years I've been wrong!

Then I root for the Suns to barely squeeze in the post season via play in and then get on a 2000 Knicks type Cinderella run.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Here's some drama for ya mama. Sex or Love, which side are you on?

https://cavaliersnation.com/2021/03/15/ ... cavaliers/

Collin Sexton likes tweet saying ‘Kevin Love stole $120 million from the Cleveland Cavaliers’

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I mean, Love has been awful since signing that(really just hurt), but can’t blame him for taking the money. Laugh at Cleveland for giving him that contract, but don’t think Sexton should go after Love.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:45 pm
Wow that's embarrassing for Kuz
Only thing is it would have been better if the Warriors didn't proceed to lose by 30.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

:shock:

Split T

Post by Split T »

LA is hanging tough without him, but you wonder what he’s going to be like in the playoffs. Will he be healthy? Will he be rusty?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:39 am
LA is hanging tough without him, but you wonder what he’s going to be like in the playoffs. Will he be healthy? Will he be rusty?
All that wear and tear on Lebron and the other guys adds up. I do think fatigue will make it hard for the Lakers to repeat this year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You’d think, but Lebron continues to be an exception

Indy

Post by Indy »

It feels like we say he is playing too many minutes or carrying too much of the load or that he is too old for about 5 years. Didn't he lead the league in minutes recently?

Split T

Post by Split T »

He did in 2017-18. He’s 11th this season so far.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think the only team that really “scares” me is a fully healthy Lakers team. If that team doesn’t exist, I think we’re absolutely in the mix as a contender.

I don’t love how we match up with the Jazz, but I could see that series going our way. Fully healthy Denver is also probably a coin flip.

I don’t know what to make of the playoff Nets. We match up pretty well with them, but their offense is unreal (if again, fully healthy).

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Lakers and Nets are honeypotting the fringe contenders like the Suns.

I won't believe that Davis or Durant will miss a playoff game until it happens. And they're both top 10 players in the league even at a less than 100% sharpness.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:16 pm
I think the only team that really “scares” me is a fully healthy Lakers team. If that team doesn’t exist, I think we’re absolutely in the mix as a contender.

I don’t love how we match up with the Jazz, but I could see that series going our way. Fully healthy Denver is also probably a coin flip.

I don’t know what to make of the playoff Nets. We match up pretty well with them, but their offense is unreal (if again, fully healthy).
What about a fully healthy Blazers?
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:00 pm
The Lakers and Nets are honeypotting the fringe contenders like the Suns.

I won't believe that Davis or Durant will miss a playoff game until it happens. And they're both top 10 players in the league even at a less than 100% sharpness.
I'll agree about Durant, it feels like they are being extra cautious with him this year. Not so sure about AD. My judgment might be clouded though given that I used the 2nd overall pick in the fantasy league on him.