2021 NBA Draft Prospects

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Prospects

Post by Split T »

Broadcast answered my question as well, haha

Split T

Post by Split T »

Inf’s guy Jason Preston and Ohio are in a close one with Virginia. Never heard of him before, but he’s interesting. Definitely has some good court vision. He’s picking Virginia apart here down the stretch.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I watched the whole game. That kid doesn't have a chance in the NBA.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:08 pm
I just watched parts...why do you say so? His passing looked quite good. Didn’t see anything special athletically. Seems decent sized for a pg. Is it just the athleticism? Shooting percentages(sans ft) are good, but I’m not sure what kind of shots he’s taking.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

The couple of teams that I've followed a bit this year are out - my daughter's in her second year at SDSU, and the team's success since she's been there has gotten her interested in sports (of any kind) for the first time in her life, so I've watched a few games with her. I also caught a few Utah State games since they're in the same conference.

I thought Matt Mitchell had a chance to be an NBA-level player watching him last year, but this year as the #1 guy, his warts were much more apparent. He's not really skilled enough at any one thing to make it in the NBA, I don't think, and while he's got decent size and athleticism, he's not going to overwhelm NBA players in that respect either. He's just too inconsistent from the outside, and too prone to trying to make plays where there's nothing there. He's also not nearly as good a player as Malachi Flynn was last year, and Flynn has barely registered in Toronto.

I do think that Neemias Queta out of Utah State has a chance to be a pretty decent backup big. He's not as athletic as you'd like, and can disappear at times, but he has good size at 7 feet with a 7'4" wingspan, shows rim protection instincts and surprisingly good court vision and passing ability for a young center. I think he's got a possible role as a defender + connector-type, and could see him early-to-mid second round.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:34 pm
He seems soft to me. But he is very skilled.
I don't get the soft vibe from him. He's terrific.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:24 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:08 pm
I just watched parts...why do you say so? His passing looked quite good. Didn’t see anything special athletically. Seems decent sized for a pg. Is it just the athleticism? Shooting percentages(sans ft) are good, but I’m not sure what kind of shots he’s taking.
I was harsh. He'll definitely get looks, but I don't think he'll stick mostly because he's trailing in the development curve. He and Ja Morant were born on the same exact day, for example.

He's still interesting as a prospect, though. He kind of reminds me of a guard Kyle Anderson when he was at UCLA. I don't trust his shot or shooting percentages all that much at the next level because he's not explosive.

But I could be wrong. His background seems like evidence that he's really a basketball junkie, and those guys can sometimes really outperform their early projections.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Baylor-Wisconsin just starting. I haven’t watched him, but Jared Butler from Baylor definitely seems like a James Jones guy and should be available around our pick. Gonna see what I think of him.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:43 am
Baylor-Wisconsin just starting. I haven’t watched him, but Jared Butler from Baylor definitely seems like a James Jones guy and should be available around our pick. Gonna see what I think of him.
The reason I say this, someone pointed out JJ goes after guys with high BPM in college basketball.

Mikal was 2nd in the ncaa in 2018. Jevon Carter was 3rd.

In 2019, Cam was 3rd.

In 2020, Jalen was 4th.

Jared Butler is 8th in BPM this year. Watch for Franz Wagner from Michigan too, he’s 3rd.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Davion Mitchell is one to watch too

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well Baylor is really good! More impressed with Mitchell than Butler so far, but both are impressive. Combo guards who play great defense, can shoot and score. Mitchell looks like more of a creator so far. He looks like if Jevon Carter could play pg.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I promise I made the comp before seeing this on my timeline, haha

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:02 pm
Davion Mitchell is one to watch too
Agreed.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I enjoyed the guy with the mullet in the Baylor game.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:51 am
Split T wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:43 am
The reason I say this, someone pointed out JJ goes after guys with high BPM in college basketball.

Mikal was 2nd in the ncaa in 2018. Jevon Carter was 3rd.

In 2019, Cam was 3rd.

In 2020, Jalen was 4th.

Jared Butler is 8th in BPM this year. Watch for Franz Wagner from Michigan too, he’s 3rd.
I love the scouting report on Wagner, but I'd be shocked if he is available in the Suns range... Chad Ford has him ranked 7th right now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I haven’t paid much attention to the draft this year. This tournament is really the first I’ve started watching. I didn’t realize Wagner was so high.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I got excited about Davion Mitchell for a minute, but I already think he’s played himself out of our range, haha. He’s very good.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
someone pointed out JJ goes after guys with high BPM in college basketball.
Luka Garza is #1 this year.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:13 pm
Split T wrote:
someone pointed out JJ goes after guys with high BPM in college basketball.
Luka Garza is #1 this year.
Ya I saw that, is he an nba prospect? I honestly haven’t watched him at all, except briefly when they lost to Oregon. Most mocks I’ve looked at had him firmly in round 2, though taking someone higher than they are projected is kind of JJ’s thing as well.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Isaiah Mobley is someone I like for the Suns. I haven't seen him projected to get drafted in any 2021 mocks.