Around the League: Week 13 3/15-3/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: Week 13 3/15-3/21

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:44 pm
I'm not counting out Bagley yet. I want to see him go to an organization with a real culture or at least an identity.
Agreed.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:20 am
I don't think it would be smart to have Bagley and Ayton at the same time.
Why do you think that would be an issue?

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:13 am
I’m still really confused why they wanted Oladipo over LaVert...or why they didn’t want Allen.
I get not wanting LaVert if they didn't want the financial obligation to a player with LaVert's injury history. But I have no idea why they wouldn't Allen? Just because he doesn't shoot 3s?
It’s strange...did they think he’d get in Wood’s way?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

They're obsessed with the long ball. 3s, 3s, and more 3s. Everyone shoot 3s.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Are they still obsessed after Morey and D’Antoni left?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah, that was the appeal of Silas. He was coming from the Mavs who also put an emphasis on the 3 ball.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:11 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:13 am
I’m still really confused why they wanted Oladipo over LaVert...or why they didn’t want Allen.
I get not wanting LaVert if they didn't want the financial obligation to a player with LaVert's injury history. But I have no idea why they wouldn't Allen? Just because he doesn't shoot 3s?
It’s strange...did they think he’d get in Wood’s way?
I think so. They’re both centers. They should have given it a shot, though.

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Yeah, that was the appeal of Silas. He was coming from the Mavs who also put an emphasis on the 3 ball.
You are in the Houston area so you probably know the Rockets better than most of us here. I get the sense though that some of this has to do with money. I feel like with Fertita's fortunes waning more than other multi-billionaires due to the pandemic that they were very fiscally cautious and a first round pick is a delayed financial commitment compared to Allen who will be getting paid in the next year or two. Similar angle with Oladipo who comes off the books this year. I think they probably want to turn him into a draft pick too if they could...?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:57 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I don't know about their relationship, but I'm sure you know they played together in high school. I'm just unsure that they'd be a good influence on each others development. Total speculation on my part.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:31 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:57 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I don't know about their relationship, but I'm sure you know they played together in high school. I'm just unsure that they'd be a good influence on each others development. Total speculation on my part.
Spacing would be an issue.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Bagley has a pretty decent shot. I don't think spacing would be an issue. I'd love to snag him actually, he's just wasting away in Sacramento

pickle

Post by pickle »

I don't know if Bagley is that much of a threat from outside... and he's not cheap, it would take something like the Saric or Crowder contract to get him, which I think is too much for what he could potentially return?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In the past we'd have long discussions about guys like Bagley and Gordon because the roster was such a mangled collection of assets who didn't really play well together.

Now the Suns have a nearly perfect roster with clearly defined roles, so it's essentially pointless to really consider any mid-season trade for a significant young player.

I don't see any obvious way they can get better via trade this week. Everything would involve a pretty significant risk of disturbing the form and chemistry of the roster they have now. The ball movement has been good for most of the season, but it's been incredible these last two games. I don't see how that gets worse without enduring injuries.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:49 pm
In the past we'd have long discussions about guys like Bagley and Gordon because the roster was such a mangled collection of assets who didn't really play well together.

Now the Suns have a nearly perfect roster with clearly defined roles, so it's essentially pointless to really consider any mid-season trade for a significant young player.

I don't see any obvious way they can get better via trade this week. Everything would involve a pretty significant risk of disturbing the form and chemistry of the roster they have now. The ball movement has been good for most of the season, but it's been incredible these last two games. I don't see how that gets worse without enduring injuries.
Agreed. Really, the biggest addition we could add at this point would be an aggressive, focused DA like we saw last night.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:16 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Agreed. Really, the biggest addition we could add at this point would be an aggressive, focused DA like we saw last night.
But we already have that for at least 10 games a season!

I still think we need a big.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This is pretty crazy

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:53 am
ShelC wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Besides Aldridge in a buyout situation, who else is available that scratches that itch?

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:47 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:53 am
ShelC wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Besides Aldridge in a buyout situation, who else is available that scratches that itch?
I am not sure. I am just thinking in the West you have to go through AD, Jokic, Nurkic (and to a lesser extent Kanter at least on the boards), Zubac, not to mention Gobert. It would be nice to have more than Ayton to throw at them. I just don't see our bigs being able to defend them very well on offense or keep them off the boards.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:36 am
This is pretty crazy
I think the stats are a bit misleading in this case. I don't think this year has 8 of the 10 best or most efficient offenses in NBA history. You'd have to factor in defense, pace, and other things. Maybe in a shallow numeric sense their efficiency rating is high, but as the tweet author says, one of the teams isn't even in the playoffs.

Indy

Post by Indy »

it is a weighted metric already.