Suns News: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns News: Week 14 3/22-3/28

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:37 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:24 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:32 am
specialsauce wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:41 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 am
I could watch Amare highlights all day. Dude was a badass.

Ayton should be locked in a room and made to watch Amare highlights on a loop. For days.
Amare is my favorite Sun of the modern times (2000+). I know Steve is two-time, but watching in his prime was something special.

It makes no sense, but Boris Diaw is my second favorite. Dude was just so talented and special in ‘05-06

Among my least favorite:

The Morii, Gortat, Pj Tucker, LB (loved the guy personally but he drove me insane when he was our backup PG until Goran), Mike James and then prince Kelly
It is hilarious to me that Boris is your 2nd favorite player.
Lol. He was just such a smart player. The nights he decided to be aggressive offensively he was the best player on the court.

I’m going to guess your favorites are Nash and rather LB or Trix.
He was less aggressive than Ayton is, and that is saying a lot. That is why it is hilarious to me.

"Favorite" player is such a weird thing for me, overall. I guess I don't have a lot of favorite players anymore after having KJ be my favorite as a kid. That didn't turn out well. And then I really liked Kidd... same thing. I don't root for individuals as much, or maybe I should say I don't think of them the same way I used to.

If I had to pick a favorite player over the last 20 years, I would go with Joe Johnson. I just loved watching him play basketball while he was a Sun. And having his face broke in half during a playoff game and still staying in to shoot the free throws so he might get to play in the 2nd half said a lot about him.
JJ is up there for me as well.

I think saying Boris wasn’t aggressive is misinformation. He was very aggressive. Boris drove to the lane, posted up, etc. Now his primary objective at that was to find the open man and frequently he drove us nuts passing out an open layup. But that is different than DA who catches the ball and is scared to do anything with it at all and most of the times just makes a meaningless pass.

Would you call Rondo or Nash not aggressive?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

05-06 Boris is one of my favorite players too. He got more aggressive as that season went on and had a very strong playoffs. Dario has a similar game but much better scoring instincts.

I wish Gortat would've played on better teams for us, because he was really solid when he played here.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:17 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Amare is my favorite Sun of the modern times (2000+). I know Steve is two-time, but watching in his prime was something special.

It makes no sense, but Boris Diaw is my second favorite. Dude was just so talented and special in ‘05-06

Among my least favorite:

The Morii, Gortat, Pj Tucker, LB (loved the guy personally but he drove me insane when he was our backup PG until Goran), Mike James and then prince Kelly
Lol. He was just such a smart player. The nights he decided to be aggressive offensively he was the best player on the court.

He was less aggressive than Ayton is, and that is saying a lot. That is why it is hilarious to me.

"Favorite" player is such a weird thing for me, overall. I guess I don't have a lot of favorite players anymore after having KJ be my favorite as a kid. That didn't turn out well. And then I really liked Kidd... same thing. I don't root for individuals as much, or maybe I should say I don't think of them the same way I used to.

If I had to pick a favorite player over the last 20 years, I would go with Joe Johnson. I just loved watching him play basketball while he was a Sun. And having his face broke in half during a playoff game and still staying in to shoot the free throws so he might get to play in the 2nd half said a lot about him.

I think saying Boris wasn’t aggressive is misinformation. He was very aggressive. Boris drove to the lane, posted up, etc. Now his primary objective at that was to find the open man and frequently he drove us nuts passing out an open layup. But that is different than DA who catches the ball and is scared to do anything with it at all and most of the times just makes a meaningless pass.

I expect PGs to take less shots than other starters, usually. Especially pure PGs like Nash and Rondo.

During their Suns careers, Steve Nash took 20% more shots per minute than Boris Diaw. And yeah, Steve was not aggressive enough. He could have been Steph Curry.

Rondo took more shots per minute than Boris, too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

All that said, I really loved the 05-06 Boris as well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:17 pm
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Among my least favorite:

For sure. He used to aggressively pass out from underneath the basket when wide open. :P
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:14 pm
For sure. He used to aggressively pass out from underneath the basket when wide open. :P
That move was so popular that I used a foosball tactic in college doing the same thing. Pass the ball with a forward back to a defender, bang in a screamer of a goal. BORIS DIAW MFers!!!
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:37 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:14 pm
That move was so popular that I used a foosball tactic in college doing the same thing. Pass the ball with a forward back to a defender, bang in a screamer of a goal. BORIS DIAW MFers!!!
I love it!
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:02 am
specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Ayton should be locked in a room and made to watch Amare highlights on a loop. For days.

Among my least favorite:

Amare was the reason I bought season tickets all through the 7SOL days. As soon as he came into the league, I didn't want to miss him doing something that I'd never seen before. So much fun to watch, and so sad how that overtraining knee injury and then micro-fracture surgery limited his ceiling and career. I was happy to be able to tell him after a flight we were on together that he was the reason I bought season tickets, haha.
Dan Majerle is my favorite Sun of all time. Followed very closely by Amare.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:17 am
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Among my least favorite:

Amare was the reason I bought season tickets all through the 7SOL days. As soon as he came into the league, I didn't want to miss him doing something that I'd never seen before. So much fun to watch, and so sad how that overtraining knee injury and then micro-fracture surgery limited his ceiling and career. I was happy to be able to tell him after a flight we were on together that he was the reason I bought season tickets, haha.
Still have Amare's life size poster hanging up in my garage, rookie card and jersey. So yea I kinda think he's cool. BTW he and Marrion really should be in the ROH by now don't you think?

*** Edit I still have his Lake Wales Highschool Jersey still too **** Forgot about that one.
Last edited by BAMF on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

BAMF wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:39 am
SunsRIt wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Among my least favorite:

Still have Amare's life size poster hanging up in my garage, rookie card and jersey. So yea I kinda think he's cool. BTW he and Marrion really should be in the ROH by now don't you think?
They should have been in there years ago. But I don't think either left on good terms with Bob.

BAMF

Post by BAMF »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:48 am
BAMF wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:39 am
SunsRIt wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

Among my least favorite:

They should have been in there years ago. But I don't think either left on good terms with Bob.
Again where he thinks of himself instead of the fans.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Bankers aren't known for thinking of their customers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 pm
Bankers aren't known for thinking of their customers.
Quite the opposite. See Wells Fargo.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

See all of them. There is a reason nobody likes their bank, nobody likes working for banks (besides executives), and every city has a giant building downtown with a bank's name on it.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:39 am
A 6-10 Tom Chambers hitting mid-range jumpers and the occasional trey would really open the offense.
Agreed.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:20 pm
05-06 Boris is one of my favorite players too. He got more aggressive as that season went on and had a very strong playoffs.
All of this. I've never been so proud of Saucey.

I get people hated when Boris passed up layups to kick it out to 3-point shooters, but I honestly couldn't care less. His post game was so smooth, his passing was fantastic, and he was so good versatile. Just on a pure basketball level, his play that year was some of the best I have ever seen from a Suns player since 1993. It was such a joy to watch.

(and it's what makes the rest of his tenure with the Suns so heartbreaking)

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:41 pm
specialsauce wrote:
ShelC wrote:
05-06 Boris is one of my favorite players too. He got more aggressive as that season went on and had a very strong playoffs.

I get people hated when Boris passed up layups to kick it out to 3-point shooters, but I honestly couldn't care less. His post game was so smooth, his passing was fantastic, and he was so good versatile. Just on a pure basketball level, his play that year was some of the best I have ever seen from a Suns player since 1993. It was such a joy to watch.

Barkley?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Boris was a basketball prodigy. His mother might still be considered the best player in French history. France is a really big country.

One of my favorite Boris qualities was his ability to completely not give a fuck if he didn't trust the coach, but he was world class elite when that switch flipped on and he started caring again. All while hardly ever jumping more than 3 inches off of the ground.

I think he could've easily been an All-Star several times and possibly All-NBA if he wasn't such a basketball snob. Nikola Jokic is basically giving everyone a high performance Boris Diaw impersonation in recent years and now he's very likely to win the MVP.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:40 am
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Barkley?
Are you asking if Barkley is why I referenced 1993 or if Barkley's performance was better?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:33 am
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:40 am
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
ShelC wrote:

Barkley?
Are you asking if Barkley is why I referenced 1993 or if Barkley's performance was better?
A collective 'yes' to that one.