Tech That Is New

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
In2ition

Re: Latest Military Hardware

Post by In2ition »

Haha! Those are good, Nodack.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

US Army Is Building The World's 'Most Powerful' Laser Weapon
These lasers would emit bullet-like pulses of light that would exterminate the target.
https://interestingengineering.com/us-a ... ser-weapon
The Tactical Ultrashort Pulsed Laser for Army Platforms, as the laser system will be called, will be a million times more powerful than any other laser platform before it, reported New Scientist, the first to publish the news.

The Tactical Ultrashort Pulsed Laser (UPSL) platform will be different from the current laser systems, as it will emit short pulses that rely on low energy. In contrast, current lasers typically emit continuous beams.

The new system is being designed to reach a terawatt for a short 200 femtoseconds — or one quadrillionth of a second. In that time, the UPSL would be able to vaporize a drone. On top of that, the hope is that it'll also be able to disrupt electronic systems in its vicinity, turning it also into a functional electromagnetic pulse (EMP).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Are they going to be hand held and/or used by storm troopers that can't hit a target?
J/k

Seriously, were they developed by super young college students and a dean that held their futures over their head to finish?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:48 pm
US Army Is Building The World's 'Most Powerful' Laser Weapon
These lasers would emit bullet-like pulses of light that would exterminate the target.
https://interestingengineering.com/us-a ... ser-weapon
The Tactical Ultrashort Pulsed Laser for Army Platforms, as the laser system will be called, will be a million times more powerful than any other laser platform before it, reported New Scientist, the first to publish the news.

The Tactical Ultrashort Pulsed Laser (UPSL) platform will be different from the current laser systems, as it will emit short pulses that rely on low energy. In contrast, current lasers typically emit continuous beams.

The new system is being designed to reach a terawatt for a short 200 femtoseconds — or one quadrillionth of a second. In that time, the UPSL would be able to vaporize a drone. On top of that, the hope is that it'll also be able to disrupt electronic systems in its vicinity, turning it also into a functional electromagnetic pulse (EMP).
That much power could send the Doc and Marty on almost 1000 trips in the DeLorean. I am curious how they plan to generate that much power, even in short bursts.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I thought they said it was low energy and instead of a constant beam it’s a single blast 200 femtoseconds — or one quadrillionth of a second long. That sounds like it takes less energy.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is extremely high power, but a very short period of time. A terawatt is the equivalent to 10 billion 100W light bulbs on at the same time, even though they are only on for that femtosecond.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The first flight on another planet. It carried a piece of the Wright Brothers airplane with it. That is so cool.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Pretty amazing. At first I thought those were videos of the helicopter out in the desert. Mars just looks like a desert with soil and rocks. The Martians must be underground.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I know. It looks like they filmed the video just outside Phoenix. I suppose Mars is just another big rock sailing around our solar system made from the same stuff Earth is.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:06 am
I know. It looks like they filmed the video just outside Phoenix. I suppose Mars is just another big rock sailing around our solar system made from the same stuff Earth is.
It is fascinating though, isn't it? Seeing it up close and personal? But yeah, that's the impression I get. Do we know if the entire planet surface is uniformly like that?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ok, I have been reading about a lot of weird UFO type things recently. Lots of military footage of UFOs being released doing things no craft that we know of can do. One is tracked by air and then is disappears into the ocean. Groups of what appear to be drones flying around our US war ships. Are these alien aircraft checking us out or is there top secret aircraft we know know of being tested? Hard to say. I think the drones are man made on earth and the next new thing in warfare. Russia, China, US and probably more have been researching the drone route to war.

I was just reading about military balloons being used lately. Satellites have a limited window of opportunity. They take great pictures when they are over the target and then you have to wait until they circle the globe again. Balloons fly very high. High enough to be immune to most threats from the ground and they can loiter for a long time. They can also carry a payload. One of the latest things I read is where the balloons will be capable of releasing clusters of drones to attack enemy targets or drop sensors to the ground to track movements. In places where there have been sightings of clusters of drones around our military ships they have been putting up these balloons to help track what’s going on. I personally believe the drones sighted buzzing our military ships are either ours or one of our rivals testing the waters so to speak.

China has been putting a lot of technology into drones and one of their ideas is aircraft carrier destroying drones. Send in a swarm of attacking drones and they won’t be able to stop them all before they do their damage.

In WWI it was trench warfare. In WWII it was tanks and aircraft. The next conflict will see a lot of drones being used as weapons. I hope we are ready to defend against that. We do have auto aiming Gatling guns on our ships capable of shooting down those types of targets but, thousands of drones attacking at once?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Army Wants To Launch Drone Swarms Behind Enemy Lines From High-Altitude Balloons
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... e-balloons

China drone launching weapon

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... on-a-truck

Russia Uses ‘Swarm Of Drones’ In Military Exercise For The First Time
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambl ... 112ff14771

Pentagon Has Tested A Suicide Drone That Gets To Its Target Area At Hypersonic Speed
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... onic-speed

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Ford F150 has been the biggest selling vehicle of all time and is the top sold vehicle every year. Next year they roll out an all electric F150 for the masses. Several other brands are coming out with fancy versions that cost a lot more. Ford went the no frills route appealing to the masses and fleet sales. This is pretty huge. Electric vehicles are here to stay. The F150 goes 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and can tow more weight than any previous PU truck.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah Ford sold 150% more F-150s alone that every model Tesla sold last year. If they can make it work, so many other brands will be doing the same. As big of a monopoly Teslsa has on plug-in electrics right now (~70% of EVs sold), they still only make up about 3% of new car sales. It wouldn't take much for them to be bypassed by Ford in EVs.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

All vehicles will be electric before long. The writing is on the wall and the car companies have announced they are all in.

I get propane for my grill from Lowes. I bring in and drop off the old empty bottle and they hand me a full one after I pay. I go scuba diving every once in awhile. You are on a boat. You go scuba diving. You come up. They swap out tanks and you are ready for the next dive. I think it would be cool if they could standardize the batteries for all vehicles into removable batteries. You stop off at the gas/battery station where they swap out your dead battery with a charged one and you are on your way. I thought that would be a good idea, but getting standardized anything is hard and technology makes everything obsolete fast.

Droids, iPhones, iWatches etc. can now charge wirelessly. Just place the phone on the pad and it charges. You can touch the pad and you won’t get shocked. Imagine roads or freeways with power under them. You car doesn’t use any battery power. It uses the power from the road to propel the vehicle and charge you battery. You only need your battery if you go off the grid. No gas stations. Your car is always ready and full. That sounds like about 20 years in the future.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:37 am
All vehicles will be electric before long. The writing is on the wall and the car companies have announced they are all in.

I get propane for my grill from Lowes. I bring in and drop off the old empty bottle and they hand me a full one after I pay. I go scuba diving every once in awhile. You are on a boat. You go scuba diving. You come up. They swap out tanks and you are ready for the next dive. I think it would be cool if they could standardize the batteries for all vehicles into removable batteries. You stop off at the gas/battery station where they swap out your dead battery with a charged one and you are on your way. I thought that would be a good idea, but getting standardized anything is hard and technology makes everything obsolete fast.

Droids, iPhones, iWatches etc. can now charge wirelessly. Just place the phone on the pad and it charges. You can touch the pad and you won’t get shocked. Imagine roads or freeways with power under them. You car doesn’t use any battery power. It uses the power from the road to propel the vehicle and charge you battery. You only need your battery if you go off the grid. No gas stations. Your car is always ready and full. That sounds like about 20 years in the future.
I hope you are right. It would take a couple step-changes in both battery technology and wireless charging technology.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Like I said, drones are here to stay and they are the next evolution of warfare.

Armed drones crisscross Middle Eastern skies, bringing havoc and a new threat to U.S.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... king-havoc

“These small- and medium-sized [drones] present a new and complex threat to our forces and those of our partners and allies,” Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., the top U.S. commander in the Middle East, told Congress last month. “For the first time since the Korean War, we are operating without complete air superiority.”

But the video also served to highlight the proliferation of military drones crisscrossing the region’s skies in unprecedented numbers. They target oil facilities, militant hideouts, Israeli and Palestinian territory and even U.S. bases in the region.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Drug cartels attack enemies and spread terror with weaponized drones in US, Mexico
https://news.yahoo.com/drug-cartels-att ... 48989.html

As drones proliferate among cartels, public safety officials in Mexico try to curb their use. The office of Mexico's attorney general has launched several investigations into terrorism by organized crime and seized drones and C-4 explosives, which are commonly used in drone attacks.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 81,000 people died from drug overdoses in the USA in the 12-month period ending May 2020 – the highest number of overdose deaths ever recorded in 12 months.

“They're killing our citizens as we've never seen in the history of the country," Maltz said.

New Details Emerge On The "Highly Modified Drone" That Outran Police Helicopters Over Tucson
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... ver-tucson

These new accounts add a fairly significant detail to the story: that the mystery drone spotted over Tucson was first seen in the airspace adjacent to, or even over, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base and later flew through the base's confines. As such, this incident would add to the growing number of recent drone incursions which have worryingly occurred in military-controlled airspace or near sensitive installations. In fact, there is a precedent for unknown drones flying at night being interested in critical energy infrastructure in Arizona. In September 2019, the Palo Verde Nuclear Generation Station near Phoenix was the site of what the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) described as a "drone-a-palooza," an incident which remains unexplained to this day.

Whatever the case may be, the drone's reported proximity to both an international airport and an Air Force base is worrying. The drone's reported altitude and the fact that it outran two law enforcement helicopters is also concerning, given the increasing threat drones pose to critical infrastructure and defense installations.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Government Finds No Evidence That Aerial Sightings Were Alien Spacecraft The strange objects witnessed by Navy pilots remain unexplained, but officials briefed on a new study say they are not secret technology from a classified American program.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/03/us/p ... tagon.html
The report determines that the vast majority of more than 120 incidents over the past two decades did not originate from any American military or other advanced U.S. government technology, the officials said.

One senior official briefed on the intelligence said without hesitation that U.S. officials knew it was not American technology. He said there was worry among intelligence and military officials that China or Russia could be experimenting with hypersonic technology.

Russia has been investing heavily in hypersonics, believing the technology offers the ability to evade American missile-defense technology. China has also developed hypersonic weaponry, and included it in military parades. If the phenomenon were Chinese or Russian aircraft, officials said it would suggest the two powers’ hypersonic research has far outpaced American military development.

Navy pilots were often unsettled by the sightings. In one encounter, strange objects — one of them like a spinning top moving against the wind — appeared almost daily from the summer of 2014 to March 2015, high in the skies over the East Coast. Navy pilots reported to their superiors that the objects had no visible engine or infrared exhaust plumes, but that they could reach 30,000 feet and hypersonic speeds.

Lt. Ryan Graves, an F/A-18 Super Hornet pilot who was with the Navy for 10 years, told The New York Times in an interview that “these things would be out there all day.” With the speeds he and other pilots observed, he said, “12 hours in the air is 11 hours longer than we’d expect.”

Officials briefed on the report said it also examined video that shows a whitish oval object described as a giant Tic Tac, about the size of a commercial plane, encountered by two Navy fighter jets off the coast of San Diego in 2004.

In that incident, the pilots reported an interaction with the craft, which lasted for several minutes. At one point, the object peeled away, one of the pilots, Cmdr. David Fravor, said in an interview later with The Times. “It accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen,” he said.

If this isn’t alien technology then we are WAY behind Russia and China in the military technology race.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

We've been seeing these things since at least WW2. Ever heard of the Foo Fighters? Not the band, but the namesake of the band.