Summer League 2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Summer League 2021

Post by Cap »

12-0.

carey

Post by carey »

Jalen continues to rebound well but he’s basically shooting 37% from the field for summer league.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

He’s got some things he’s good at, like chasing rebounds. although he can’t just outjump and outreach players at the NBA level.

His non-dunk finishing around the basket is pretty brutal. And his handle is rough.

If he can hit his open 3s, provide secondary rim protection and crash the glass, he can have a low-leverage role on this team.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He didn’t shoot a good percentage but he did average a double double. Summer Suns win their last two after starting out 0-2 for a 2-2 record.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I thought the team looked better the last two games. Better flow and decision making, just looked like they got used to each other and the system.
Kyle Alexander has had some nice moments and stood out a bit as the other big. Frazier had a good game last night too shooting the ball. I was half watching the game so I don't remember Stix taking 19 shots. His outside shot looks good even on misses tho. He's just not someone who can really impact the game on his own and stand out in this kind of setting.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I didn't happen to see this last game, but Jalen's play on defense & rebounding has me encouraged. His shooting percentage will improve and I think he will make strides on finishing through contact. It feels him getting off balance is due to a bit of not as much strength in his lower body, and need to build up his core. I think the staff can address and correct those things. He's not dependent on those to be impactful in a positive way in the game though. That's what encourages me in that he has a good chance to be a good match next to Ayton.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I say put him in the rotation with limited minutes of course. There is nothing like real world experience. Ayton was very timid, especially around dominant Centers his rookie year. After playing against all of them for a half a season he started to gain a little more confidence in himself and started to assert himself more. Last year Ayton made strides. The playoffs were good for him. Getting posterized by Giannis for six games adds experience.

I think it’s time for Stix to sink or swim with the big boys. Let him make his mistakes and learn from them. If he swims great. If he sinks well…

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't mind if he plays next to McGee, but I hope he gets regular minutes this yr.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I hope he earns them too.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Suns are playing right now but it doesn’t look like Jalen Smith is. I thought a big reason for his struggles was lack of reps. Interesting decision to hold him out.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

No Stix, guess they figure his game is what it is in SL. Ty-Shon is starting but not a lot of reason to watch otherwise.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:06 pm
Suns are playing right now but it doesn’t look like Jalen Smith is. I thought a big reason for his struggles was lack of reps. Interesting decision to hold him out.
Channel? My guide says ESPN2 but there is girl’s softball on now.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Espn news.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This is the first Suns game I’m going to voluntarily abstain from in I don’t know how long.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:14 pm
Espn news.
Got it. Thanks.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I guess it’s a consolation game. Yeah, no Stix makes it tough to watch.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:15 pm
This is the first Suns game I’m going to voluntarily abstain from in I don’t know how long.
I’ve found over the course of Summer League basketball that I’ve come to love all these young Suns and I’m very interested in following their careers from here on out. Yeah, no, I’m kidding. This isn’t Suns basketball or players. It was interesting to watch Stix. Ty-Shon not so much. I guess we got to know coach Brian Randle a little bit. Is he new? I don’t remember the name from last year.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

So why exactly are we sitting Jalen? Maybe he has a minor injury? Or is there a trade about to go down and we’re holding him out to keep him healthy?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:39 pm
So why exactly are we sitting Jalen? Maybe he has a minor injury? Or is there a trade about to go down and we’re holding him out to keep him healthy?
The latter is the only thing that makes sense. He could always use the reps.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:51 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:39 pm
The latter is the only thing that makes sense. He could always use the reps.
Yeah - that's what I was getting at. Monty and James spent a lot of time talking about how a big reason Jalen Smith wasn't ready for minutes was that he needed reps (he didn't have a summer league, proper training camp, etc). I always thought that was a bit of BS and holding him out of 20% of Summer League doesn't jive with what they spent all year saying.