Summer League 2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Summer League 2021

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:29 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:15 pm
This is the first Suns game I’m going to voluntarily abstain from in I don’t know how long.
I’ve found over the course of Summer League basketball that I’ve come to love all these young Suns and I’m very interested in following their careers from here on out. Yeah, no, I’m kidding. This isn’t Suns basketball or players. It was interesting to watch Stix. Ty-Shon not so much. I guess we got to know coach Brian Randle a little bit. Is he new? I don’t remember the name from last year.
Kyle Alexander has looked interesting as a 2 way option. He's outplayed Stix in a few games.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:51 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:39 pm
So why exactly are we sitting Jalen? Maybe he has a minor injury? Or is there a trade about to go down and we’re holding him out to keep him healthy?
The latter is the only thing that makes sense. He could always use the reps.
Yeah - that's what I was getting at. Monty and James spent a lot of time talking about how a big reason Jalen Smith wasn't ready for minutes was that he needed reps (he didn't have a summer league, proper training camp, etc). I always thought that was a bit of BS and holding him out of 20% of Summer League doesn't jive with what they spent all year saying.
Trade or injury I would guess

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:24 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:29 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:15 pm
This is the first Suns game I’m going to voluntarily abstain from in I don’t know how long.
I’ve found over the course of Summer League basketball that I’ve come to love all these young Suns and I’m very interested in following their careers from here on out. Yeah, no, I’m kidding. This isn’t Suns basketball or players. It was interesting to watch Stix. Ty-Shon not so much. I guess we got to know coach Brian Randle a little bit. Is he new? I don’t remember the name from last year.
Kyle Alexander has looked interesting as a 2 way option. He's outplayed Stix in a few games.
He played a couple minutes in the bubble with the Heat…didn’t realize that. Did anyone else on our roster have any nba experience? besides Jalen and Ty-Shon of course.

Also, is Ty-Shon under contract with us at all? I know he was on a 2-way deal last year, but I’m sure those are just 1 year things. If a team tried to give him a real contract, is he restricted or anything? Or just purely an unrestricted free agent? Clearly we have the best idea of his value..I think he’s worth keeping around and developing.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I would view it as James Jones working hard on a trade and wants to keep his value up since he played well last 2 games. No other reason for Stix to be held out. Never saw/heard anything about injury. Dude needs reps.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If there was a deal brewing for him I could see them holding him out. That’s the only reason I can think of other than injury, illness, family issue.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It's not uncommon to hold out the high draft pick and veterans in the final games in order to give the other players some burn. It's sort of like throwing them a bone for their hard work and giving them a little more exposure for the scouts.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Some of you guys are reading waaaaayyyy too much into this. He didn't play because it was the last game of the Summer League. That's it. End of story.

Everyone else on that roster is trying to get a job. Giving them more exposure was the right thing for the Suns to do.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:41 pm
Some of you guys are reading waaaaayyyy too much into this. He didn't play because it was the last game of the Summer League. That's it. End of story.

Everyone else on that roster is trying to get a job. Giving them more exposure was the right thing for the Suns to do.
Sure…Just copy what Bobster just said!
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

7 players on first team? Doesn't the court get kind of crowded?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Maybe is because you need 7 summer leaguers to resemble a 5 NBA squad quality.

What is Jalen Smith doing there by the way? Do they pick them by box scores numbers?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think he led SL in rebounds and had double doubles in all of his games so yea, probably a stats thing. He didn't really do much to standout otherwise.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

No complaining, all the better if it translates into Nance Jr, Bagley or Markannen. (It’s offseason we can hope for every thing)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Here ya go:

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I thought Jalen deserved to make either 1st or 2nd team. Certainly a lot more than I thought Josh Jackson deserved it back in 2017. Jalen has arguably been the best player on the court in all the games he played in.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think it's as much a statement on the level of play. He wasn't extremely impressive, but he he did some encouraging things.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:04 pm
I think he led SL in rebounds and had double doubles in all of his games so yea, probably a stats thing. He didn't really do much to standout otherwise.
I don't think that success in Summer League really signals anything about a player's future -- but I do think that the lack of success in Summer League indicates that the player just won't make it in the NBA. I think that Stix just avoided washing out of the league and now it's up to him to prove he can succeed during the regular season.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's not going to wash out of the league, IMO. The question is if he'll be a career bench role player or a long term starter.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:32 pm
He's not going to wash out of the league, IMO. The question is if he'll be a career bench role player or a long term starter.
It's a good question.